IPS or VA Panel for a LED TV 50 OR 55"

Posted 27th Nov
Hi,

im on the look out for a LED 4K HDR TV with HDR10
What panel is better for watching netflix & playstation 4 pro?

currently i have a standard 50" Full HD LG tv which is brilliant but would like to upgrade to a 50 or 55 if possible for around £400 max.

any recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
There are no 50" OLED's, and no OLED near £400 unless maybe second hand.
LED i mean sorry
You're not going to get much in the way of HDR hardware for £400, probably just a wide gamut backlight. Unless your current TV is failing I'd be tempted to wait until some of the more capable hardware comes down in price.
EndlessWaves27/11/2019 16:48

You're not going to get much in the way of HDR hardware for £400, probably …You're not going to get much in the way of HDR hardware for £400, probably just a wide gamut backlight. Unless your current TV is failing I'd be tempted to wait until some of the more capable hardware comes down in price.

So you don’t think going from standard HD tv to 4K is worth the jump in money?
My personal opinion is yes Jump to 4k with HDR 10,i have Samsung 49 inch and am sure it was less than 400.
Barrons27/11/2019 17:12

So you don’t think going from standard HD tv to 4K is worth the jump in m …So you don’t think going from standard HD tv to 4K is worth the jump in money?

At the sizes you're talking about 4K is neither here nor there unless you have the TV unusually close. The only difference you might see in from the latest copy protection support as some content providers are streaming their 4K stuff in higher quality than the FHD version. But compare a 4K version with a top quality FHD version like Blu-ray and there's little difference unless you go for a big TV.

You'd probably see some difference in HDR for the few things that are currently using it, but the hardware development for that is only just starting to gather pace and I wouldn't be in any hurry to replace a perfectly working TV with a cheap one of the same size.
EndlessWaves27/11/2019 21:22

At the sizes you're talking about 4K is neither here nor there unless you …At the sizes you're talking about 4K is neither here nor there unless you have the TV unusually close. The only difference you might see in from the latest copy protection support as some content providers are streaming their 4K stuff in higher quality than the FHD version. But compare a 4K version with a top quality FHD version like Blu-ray and there's little difference unless you go for a big TV. You'd probably see some difference in HDR for the few things that are currently using it, but the hardware development for that is only just starting to gather pace and I wouldn't be in any hurry to replace a perfectly working TV with a cheap one of the same size.

this is my tv i have at the moment:
productz.com/en/…-tv
had it 4/5 years?
4k from HD isn't that noticeable unless you have a large screen and sit really close. However HDR makes a big difference, you almost want to reach out and touch things. But unless you get a Full Array Local Dimming TV or an OLED you won't get that big noticeable improvement on HDR with a standard cheap edge lit TV. You'd be best putting the money aside and to continue saving if you want to make the jump.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions