IPVANISH and refunds question...

Posted 22nd Apr
IPVANISH have automatically taken a payment out of my paypal account for a service that I initially took out for 12 months and didn't know they would take out money again for another year. I don't use the service and have opened a dispute in paypal.

The problem I have is, IPVANISH emailed me and asked me to close the dispute. They said the only way they can refund me is if I close the dispute. Obviously this is a bit fishy, has anyone dealt with IPVANISH before?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Most companies have auto renew turned on.

Assume the dispute prevents Paypal releasing the funds.
legionofwhom22/04/2020 14:42

Most companies have auto renew turned on.Assume the dispute prevents …Most companies have auto renew turned on.Assume the dispute prevents Paypal releasing the funds.

Normally the dispute has the option to make a refund. Just not sure as to why ipvanish refuse to do that.
Don’t close dispute
Keep it open
Once you close you can’t open again....
It’s your fault for not cancelling it. Did you open a dispute before contacting IPvanish?
It is your own fault for not checking the auto-renew. However, if you haven't used the service since then they should refund as a goodwill gesture.
BadMF22/04/2020 17:49

It is your own fault for not checking the auto-renew. However, if you …It is your own fault for not checking the auto-renew. However, if you haven't used the service since then they should refund as a goodwill gesture.

After using paypal for the good part of 15 years, I had no idea that a auto-renew could be set up through paypal. In fact, I never knew I was signing up to a auto-renew service. I thought it was 12 months and thats it.

I've also just been billed for nintendo switch 12 month account, which I also had no idea was set up as auto-renew and again, none of us use that service. Only wanted it for 12 months.

Its daylight robbery the fact these companies turn ON 'auto-renew' as default. Surely it should be OFF and allow the customer to decide whether they want to turn it on or not.
You're foolish to think that it wouldn't be turned ON by default. Companies all over rely on the fact people are too lazy to check/cancel, this is their bread and butter.
BadMF22/04/2020 18:02

You're foolish to think that it wouldn't be turned ON by default. …You're foolish to think that it wouldn't be turned ON by default. Companies all over rely on the fact people are too lazy to check/cancel, this is their bread and butter.

Exactly, its a con for them to take advantage of this feature. All features should be OFF unless manually turned on by the user. I wasn't aware auto-renew existed for these services in the first instance, it isn't clear enough from the outset. Of course, they rely on this as a extra income.

Got my money back from IPVANISH, Just got to request a refund from Nintendo now. Have never been caught out like this before.
J4GG422/04/2020 17:57

After using paypal for the good part of 15 years, I had no idea that a …After using paypal for the good part of 15 years, I had no idea that a auto-renew could be set up through paypal. In fact, I never knew I was signing up to a auto-renew service. I thought it was 12 months and thats it.I've also just been billed for nintendo switch 12 month account, which I also had no idea was set up as auto-renew and again, none of us use that service. Only wanted it for 12 months.Its daylight robbery the fact these companies turn ON 'auto-renew' as default. Surely it should be OFF and allow the customer to decide whether they want to turn it on or not.

It tells you when you sign up that it's a yearly fee...
It's hardly a con if it states during the initial sign up it's going to be a recurring bill. You failed to do your duedilligence, but you got a refund, kudos to IPVANISH imo.
J4GG422/04/2020 18:12

Exactly, its a con for them to take advantage of this feature. All …Exactly, its a con for them to take advantage of this feature. All features should be OFF unless manually turned on by the user. I wasn't aware auto-renew existed for these services in the first instance, it isn't clear enough from the outset. Of course, they rely on this as a extra income.Got my money back from IPVANISH, Just got to request a refund from Nintendo now. Have never been caught out like this before.

You authorised periodic payments with PayPal when you set up the original payment(s). They are listed in your PP account under << Payments >>. After logging in to your PayPal account, the list of these pre-approved payments is accessible at paypal.com/mya…pay
The IPV t&c that you accepted (presumably around April 2019) states auto-renewal sub:
"You agree that all fees charged by IPVanish for accessing the Services will be automatically charged to your payment account on file with IPVanish, at the time of any automatic renewal of your subscription for Services."
and additionally
"You may cancel autorenewal of your subscription any time".
web.archive.org/web…php
Maybe you simply forgot about both the PayPal payment auth and the cancellation option.
BadMF22/04/2020 19:24

It's hardly a con if it states during the initial sign up it's going to be …It's hardly a con if it states during the initial sign up it's going to be a recurring bill. You failed to do your duedilligence, but you got a refund, kudos to IPVANISH imo.

I'd say its a bit of a con, as you said, they rely on people forgetting to cancel. If they rely on people forgetting to cancel it is a little bit of a con. Experienced this twice this week in 15 years of spending silly money every year online.

Anyway, job done, refund received. My main point from this all is why IPVANISH refuse to refund using the refund button within the paypal dispute. It goes against paypal advice to close a dispute if it hasn't been resolved. And the reason I opened a dispute as I thought the process would be easier/quicker during a time when hardly any employees are working.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 22nd Apr
You can cancel as soon as you buy it and it’s in the terms, sure PayPal also send you an email saying it’s been set up as an auto payment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions