Found 7th Jun 2008
Ok, It's a long shot but maybe someone is in the know.
I spoke with my Father today who has recently returned from a visit to Ireland. He says someone over there told him that despite the fact he resides in England, he will still be entitled to an Irish state pension.
He moved here straight after leaving school so did not work over there.
Apparently my Aunt was in receipt of the Irish pension despite living over here most of her life also.
I believe my Dad is still classed as Irish but has lived in England for over 50 years.
Does anyone have any idea what the rules are?
I have read the literature on the welfare pages but can not find a straight forward answer to this query.
I am doubtful that this information is correct but you never know.
Thanks.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
3 Comments

entitlement to a pension is not based on citizenship, but on residency and on nat. ins. contributions
irish legislation is generic the same as in the UK
so if he moves back and becomes a permanent resident of the Irish republic he will be entitled to some level of pension - but not much I'm afraid.
or if he has paid money in nat insurance in Ireland - he is entitled to some of that even while claiming a uk pension
in fact he could move anywhere in the EU and be entitled to some level of pension / benefit within those states.
this is the case in my experience - and based on the info you have given
hth

Original Poster

ciaozammer;2268790

entitlement to a pension is not based on citizenship, but on residency … entitlement to a pension is not based on citizenship, but on residency and on nat. ins. contributionsirish legislation is generic the same as in the UKso if he moves back and becomes a permanent resident of the Irish republic he will be entitled to some level of pension - but not much I'm afraid. or if he has paid money in nat insurance in Ireland - he is entitled to some of that even while claiming a uk pensionin fact he could move anywhere in the EU and be entitled to some level of pension / benefit within those states.this is the case in my experience - and based on the info you have givenhth

That's what I thought so thanks for confirming.
He won't believe me when I tell him though!

Rep added.

[CENTER]http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sSig_huh.gif[/CENTER]
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions