Ironing board covers...What size and where to get????

Found 21st Feb 2016
So I've had this ironing board which has been good to me over the years which I intend to keep for many many years to come but it seems it is time for me to replace the cover for it. The current cover for it has gotten soo thin that, when I iron clothes, the mesh of the board comes straight through to my clothes. Very irritating indeed. Also it is heavily stained/lightly burned and just about to tear...

Anyways, I've been looking around for a decent thick cover for my beloved ironing board that, for the love of me, cannot find the exact size to match the board. I've measured the board to be 124cm in length, 46cm in width, and 2cm in depth all the way around. Also, it is tapered at the end.

The question is, do I need to shop around for that exact measurement (i.e. 124cm x 46cm) or do I need to add a couple of cm on the length and width because of the depth (i.e. 128cm x 50cm) and look for that measurement? I can't seem to find either of these sizes but if I do, which one do I get?

I'm looking for precise exact fittings so that it is neither too much or too less.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated
Community Updates
21 Comments
I saw some in aldi for s fiver said it fits most ironing boards
I just use a towel
I would go for the same size as the ironing board you have.
wakkaday

I just use a towel

Yeh currently at the moment I'm improvising with different types of cloths including towels but ironing at the edges of the ironing board (especially at the tapered end) becomes very annoying
MIDURIX

I would go for the same size as the ironing board you have.

I was looking for exact size (124 x 46), but I'm coming across a lot of 124 x 45 measurements only. Thing is tho, if I do get the 124 x 45 would that fit precisely...
I find that they don't make the exact size to fit my board, so I always go for a slightly bigger size but with drawstrings around the edge. Personally I find the elastic ones a nightmare as they bunch up . Also because I'm pedantic about having a thick cover I also put a padded layer underneath too .
ebay.co.uk/itm…349?hash=item3a9b85d0a5:g:UCMAAOSwdsFUNqob

Something like this , sure you will find cheaper, just for illustration.
125 x 45 is the most used size, so that will be it. Whether it will fit perfectly you will never know until you buy it and try because any listed as 125 x 45 will be aiming to fit your board, but you never know.
wakkaday

I saw some in aldi for s fiver said it fits most ironing boards

yeah was looking at them for a replacement for my massive board beldray cover (147cm).
the aldi ones were only 122cm long though
tinkerbellian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brabantia-Extra-Thick-Felt-Ironing-Board-Pad-Under-Layer-One-Size-Fits-All-/251717341349?hash=item3a9b85d0a5:g:UCMAAOSwdsFUNqobSomething like this , sure you will find cheaper, just for illustration.

I'm assuming this can be cut to size to fit underneath or is it a fold-over-to-under kind of thing?
Edited by: "SuB-K" 21st Feb 2016
SuB-K

I'm assuming this can be cut to size to fit underneath or is it a … I'm assuming this can be cut to size to fit underneath or is it a fold-over-to-under kind of thing?

Yes these can be cut, know I paid a lot less than this for mine, but to be honest too tired to search tonight because they are literally just a large felt pad they are easy to trim to size, then I use a drawstring cover over the top which holds it all in place.
https://www.minky.com/uk/performance-smart-fit-ironing-board-cover-assorted-125cm-x-45cm.html
I'm sure this will do the job... if your a guy .................I am so impressed that you even know what an ironing board is... heat given!
tinkerbellian

Yes these can be cut, know I paid a lot less than this for mine, but to … Yes these can be cut, know I paid a lot less than this for mine, but to be honest too tired to search tonight because they are literally just a large felt pad they are easy to trim to size, then I use a drawstring cover over the top which holds it all in place.

OK, cool. I'll see what I can find regarding this. I'll probs just end up creating my own cover with padding underneath if I can't find my exact size
ebay.co.uk/itm…637?hash=item3aaee3339d:g:2YsAAOSwnLdWqoQG

Something like this should work, the size quoted is for the board size , so at 125 by 47 it should give you enough to go around the edge. Sorry only plain , but should serve it's purpose.
mousey

https://www.minky.com/uk/performance-smart-fit-ironing-board-cover-assorted-125cm-x-45cm.htmlI'm sure this will do the job... if your a guy .................I am so impressed that you even know what an ironing board is... heat given!

lol thanks, we are living in the 21st century after all
SuB-K

lol thanks, we are living in the 21st century after all

I know, try telling that to my husband! He also does not know about the washing machine!
I have purchased the minky cover, great wee product !
tinkerbellian

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DLUX-METALLISED-HEAT-REFLECTIVE-IRONING-BOARD-DRAWSTRING-COVER-FITS-125x47CM-/252042228637?hash=item3aaee3339d:g:2YsAAOSwnLdWqoQGSomething like this should work, the size quoted is for the board size , so at 125 by 47 it should give you enough to go around the edge. Sorry only plain , but should serve it's purpose.

Thanks, worth a punt for a fiver I might just get this one and see how it goes
ceres

Your board size is an unusual proportion. For its length its wider than … Your board size is an unusual proportion. For its length its wider than usual. The quoted sizes on packets are the actual cover size. They generally fit boards around 10cm shorter and narrower than the quoted size - this allows for drawing the fabric under the board and bunching it up if it's a drawstring style. If your actual board size is 124 x 46, you need to be looking for a cover at least 50 wide, although that will be a bit on the neat side. Ideally the tapes or drawstring should be on the underside, not the sides. I'd look for 52 wide. Lengthwise I'd go for 132 ish as you lose some of the cover length at the pointed nose where the tape/drawstring should be on the underside.If you search on eBay for ironing board cover 132 52, a couple of options are there.

Yeah, it is an unusual size although the board is probs over 10-15 years old, give or take a cupla years. Still standing strong and sturdy though mind you. I did contemplate this issue that's why I've held off not buying the 1st thing I see. I will check those sizes you mentioned preferably with drawstrings. Also, I measured the board with a workers measuring tape

ceres

No. The size quoted is the cover size. Zoom in on the image and look at … No. The size quoted is the cover size. Zoom in on the image and look at the lower edge of the package. With that cover size, the drawstring will be near the top of the side edge of the board and will slip off and get pulled off by moving the clothes and iron around.

Sorry , didn't check the image , just the product description 'DLUX METALLISED HEAT REFLECTIVE IRONING BOARD DRAWSTRING COVER FITS 125x47CM' . PS not shouting , just knackered copy and pasting. So assumed they had correctly described the ironing board size it was for .

Came across these two types of covers (@ 132 x 52), although the second link doesn't seem show that it is tapered at the end. It shouldn't make a difference, should it?

ebay.co.uk/itm…935?hash=item27f8982c57:g:Vv0AAOSwFNZWvcNs

ebay.co.uk/itm…005?var=&hash=item27d97c69f5:m:m1C5OezNZobAekwK96fUPXA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions