Is £100 acceptable as an "admin fee"?

Comming to change name of a passanger flying with BMI, looking on their website I was shocked to find that to change the name of a passanger a charge of £100 which is described as an admin fee is imposed.

Is it just me or is this ridiculous? £30-£35 was expected, and even that is over the top as it is supossed to reflect the true costs incurred to make the change (about 50p for some indian call centre worker whos on minimum wage to re-type someones new name in!)

Like bank charges is this worth fighting?

12 Comments

Banned

Its to stop people buying up cheap flights to sell on no doubt

Banned

what choice do you have?

Original Poster

sassie;5078779

Its to stop people buying up cheap flights to sell on no doubt

possibly, but its not an "admin fee" then is it? its a "stop people buying up loads of flights to sell on fee" and does not reflect the administration costs of changin a chuffin name.

This happened to me once, as I had booked my mother's flight in her married name but it turned out her passport was in her maiden name. Two years ago it cost slightly less, and in comparison to buying the flight at the time of the name change it was about par. Her flight alone ended up costing more than the rest of our 4 flights put together. I spent ages arguing with them on the phone about this (on an 0870 number too, for which I could not find an alternative), but didn't get anywhere. They also wanted all kinds of documents, etc. to prove she was the same person (marriage certificate, birth certificate, etc.), which was difficult because she doesn't live in this country. I'd be interested in how you get on, if you do contest it. All the best!

Is it feasible to rebook altogether? It may turn out cheaper unless your flight is very soon. I notice they have another 'sale' on.

Original Poster

H_K;5078782

what choice do you have?

send BW after them :lol: :whistling:

Banned

MinstrelMan;5078799

possibly, but its not an "admin fee" then is it? its a "stop people … possibly, but its not an "admin fee" then is it? its a "stop people buying up loads of flights to sell on fee" and does not reflect the administration costs of changin a chuffin name.

pmsl sometime you the bird, other days you the statue, today you are not the bird - lol

Original Poster

sassie;5078812

pmsl sometime you the bird, other days you the statue, today you are not … pmsl sometime you the bird, other days you the statue, today you are not the bird - lol

beautifully put:

http://lucypenn.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/eric-cantona.jpg

I fully expect that to go over your head

Banned

yep, your so right - lol

Ryan Air wanted £98 when I booked a flight for me and my mate and I spelt his name wrong, it was on tickets that cost us 4p, so rebooked for a later flight for another 4p instead.

all the cheap airlines are the same. i booked 4 flightsd with easyjet once and got the return date wrong, i got charged £40 for each ticket to change the date. I wants happy! thats whay flights are cheap, they rely on people having to change tickets and top up the revenue this way.

When i used to fly with Rynair we used to see people paying £300-£400 to fly back to spain at short notice on a flight we had paid £40 two weeks before. used to make me mad, but nouthing that you can do about it.

Sounds cheap, some of the transatlantic carriers charge £300+ for a name change . . .

Original Poster

Sneaky mofo's! luckily my big sis used to work in travel knows someone on the inside they sent me t's & c's from the time of booking (2nd feb) it states that admin charge is £35 plus any increase in fare (which is not applicable as I got the last 4 seats on that particular flight) so I argued and argued and it came out that the increase had been made on 6th april, so I argued some more and I'm not bound by those t's & c's and therefor got the name change done at £35.

Result for consumer!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    2. How much would you pay for this chair?1214
    3. GOT Leaks again614
    4. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710

See more discussions