Is 15GB Monthly Usage Enough for Online Gaming On PS4?

Found 29th Jan 2016
Hope you peeps can help.

At the moment Fibre is not available in my area (due to be enabled in the next 3-6 months). I live in a house where the router is on the 2nd floor (living room) and the PS4 is on the 4th floor. With the Sky router it's fine does the job but when there is one or two other members in the house using at same time eg watching YouTube, downloading/uploading it causes problem on the PS4 for online multiplayer (Destiny). Lag and disconnections.

The Sky broadband max speed is 7Mbps download and upload is just 0.5Mbps.

I also have a EE Osprey with the FREE 100GB SIM which I am using and it's amazing. No lag online gaming on PS4 and the uptime from EE is great. Now I seen on EE website that they do same SIM but at 15GB data (30 days). So my question is;

Is 15GB data fine for online gaming (Destiny) and a bit of party chat on the weekends when RAIDING. Will not be using the 15GB for downloading update or uploading save state as this will be done on the 7Mbps Sky broadband. With the EE SIM it is also 30 days so not tied to any contract and as soon as Fibre is available I will upgrade then cancel EE.

Appreciate your help.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Aw man if that was me I would flip my ****! Ever thought about getting a wifi extender?

But to answer your question, yeah that will be fine.

At least you wont be using it to update your save files to the cloud, let the sky broadband do that.
You'll want to make sure all auto updates are disabled on ps4. I doubt basic play uses that much bandwidth but 15gb is pretty tight. Why don't you just check your 100gb osprey service for bandwidth used.
benjam1n

You'll want to make sure all auto updates are disabled on ps4. I doubt … You'll want to make sure all auto updates are disabled on ps4. I doubt basic play uses that much bandwidth but 15gb is pretty tight. Why don't you just check your 100gb osprey service for bandwidth used.

I would have but been downloading and uploading using that on the PS4. I'm on the last week on the sim LOL
ThugBasher

Aw man if that was me I would flip my ****! Ever thought about getting a … Aw man if that was me I would flip my ****! Ever thought about getting a wifi extender?But to answer your question, yeah that will be fine.At least you wont be using it to update your save files to the cloud, let the sky broadband do that.

WiFi extender? Will that actually help with lag or disconnections?

Something like this?
sky.com/sho…er/
For a 0.5 upload I would phone your service provider, you may need the new hub if you don't have it yet.

If you have this, call and get them to check the phone line ping.
jellybomb1980

For a 0.5 upload I would phone your service provider, you may need the … For a 0.5 upload I would phone your service provider, you may need the new hub if you don't have it yet.If you have this, call and get them to check the phone line ping.

I am using sky sr101 they did send me the sr102 hub. Wilk thw hub make a difference to upload?
imagineS

WiFi extender? Will that actually help with lag or … WiFi extender? Will that actually help with lag or disconnections?Something like this?http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/sky-wireless-booster/

waste of money imo.

I would suggest using powerline adapters for your wifi problems. Eliminated all my lag/disconnection problems.

ebuyer.com/720…Ovw

Connection Speed 7082 kbps 853 kbps
Line Attenuation 40.5 dB 23.3 dB
Noise Margin 12.0 dB 7.7 dB
I moved into a new build property 23rd December......Still no phone line or fibre.......OpenReach are a pain in the ass to talk to - Also the 3 Mobile mast is faulty, so i get 0.5mb download speeds. Good thing though - Developer are paying for my EE Osprey, which i am using around 30-40gb of data a month on. Speeds are fantastic on it.
I have only gamed online a little bit, i was assuming the data connection would eat it like a fat kid eating cakes.
Edited by: "Daaaavvveee" 29th Jan 2016
SkullKing1300

waste of money imo.I would suggest using powerline adapters for your wifi … waste of money imo.I would suggest using powerline adapters for your wifi problems. Eliminated all my lag/disconnection problems.http://www.ebuyer.com/720596-d-link-powerline-av-500-hd-starter-kit-dhp-509av-b?gclid=CJPvts6_z8oCFQcYwwodWDwOvw#fo_c=951&fo_k=97013a21fa05a64eb987474e66448ec2&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=

I might give powerline adapter a go.
SkullKing1300

waste of money imo.I would suggest using powerline adapters for your wifi … waste of money imo.I would suggest using powerline adapters for your wifi problems. Eliminated all my lag/disconnection problems.http://www.ebuyer.com/720596-d-link-powerline-av-500-hd-starter-kit-dhp-509av-b?gclid=CJPvts6_z8oCFQcYwwodWDwOvw#fo_c=951&fo_k=97013a21fa05a64eb987474e66448ec2&fo_s=gplauk?mkwid=sWA3N2WiH_dc&pcrid=51630194939&pkw=&pmt=

I have gone for this;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0084Y9N3O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

See how this goes. 300 metres should be enough from 2nd floor to 4th floor.

This way don't have to pay additional money each month to EE for 15GB LOL
Destiny is data hungry. Maybe 300MB an hour gaming. Increase with chat.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 29th Jan 2016
imagineS

I might give powerline adapter a go.

Why? You said it worked fine? Changing the home network won't do anything to help when it's being used by other people.

I don't know how much data the PS4 game destiny uses, but generally online gaming is fairly modest so 15GB should be fine.
EndlessWaves

Why? You said it worked fine? Changing the home network won't do anything … Why? You said it worked fine? Changing the home network won't do anything to help when it's being used by other people.I don't know how much data the PS4 game destiny uses, but generally online gaming is fairly modest so 15GB should be fine.

He didn't say it worked fine, he said he suffers lag and disconnections over the current sky WiFi set up.
ibblackberry1

He didn't say it worked fine, he said he suffers lag and disconnections … He didn't say it worked fine, he said he suffers lag and disconnections over the current sky WiFi set up.

Yes I get lag even if people in thw house dont use the sky bb. Nothing on download or streaming etc.

I read that power line adapter help with lag. Is this really true? If so dream is real. Can now play lag free lol
No. I use about 200GB as do most of my friends who game online, but we are heavy users and I watch a lot of netflix and youtube. Multiplayer games can take 300MB+ an hour and updates for games can be several GB. So that is 20 hours play if you turn off and don't take any updates. What you want is "truely unlimited broadband" from BT, Sky, TalkTalk or EE. Even these will have data management and will limit download speed at busy times (you can still game but download speeds will be throttled) but you will not be charged extra no matter how much data you use. Be careful of companies like Virgin and Plusnet as they have a fair use policy despite advertising as "unlimited." In simple terms always read the small print. There are programs out there that monitor data usage, I know you can see the XBoxs data usage in the settings so presume its there on PS4 too, speak to your current provider tgey can tell you how much you use now. Also be wary of contract length and that advertised speeds are estimates (upto) and will vary based on distance from the exchange (even fibre uses copper cable from the exchange box to your house)
Additionally if you are already an EE customer you can get their broadband at a greatly reduced price. I pay £3 a month plus £15 line rental and get truly unlimited broadband (admittedly only 14mbs) plus all landline, mobile and international phone calls are free.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions