Is 30kg mirrored bathroom wall cabinet too heavy for stud wall?

Posted 30th NovEdited by:"ran123ran"
I have a new mirror cabinet 120cm wide and 60cm in height which ways 30kg (replacing small mirror 30cm by 25cm).

Will a bathroom wall be able to take that kind of weight?

My concern is that its quite heavy empty and so will be even heavier once loaded with aftershave, perfumes, etc).

Just don't want it falling off the wall and smashing vanity unit below or even worse, injuring someone.

Its not a solid wall - just studd work to separate from bedroom then covered with plasterboard.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
30kg!!!! Ive just had a solid wood sideboard delivered and it has 30kg on the packaging. That seems terribly heavy for a bathroom cabinet.

There are loading amounts per square metre for bathroom walls when tiling and this includes the tile and adhesive. I forget what they are exactly but with 30kg added to a small section you might be risking damaging the structure of the wall. Especially if there is no structural support from stud walls below the bathroom.
You bought it and then ask if it's too heavy?

I wouldn't be hanging that on any stud wall unless you are lucky enough to be able to find the framework to screw it up properly.
i put some radiator supports on some plasterboard using the drywall anchors you set with a tool, this was simple support for a floor standing radiator so not carrying much weight, think the board was 12.5mm.
Anyway, just catching the radiator as i was working caused the anchor to start wrecking the plasterboard not a lot of force at all so whilst it may hang it won't take much to bring it down.
Of course if you can locate studs to hang it on, different ball game.
deeky30/11/2019 09:06

You bought it and then ask if it's too heavy? I wouldn't be …You bought it and then ask if it's too heavy? I wouldn't be hanging that on any stud wall unless you are lucky enough to be able to find the framework to screw it up properly.

So if it goes stud wall framework, then it should be ok?
The plasterboard on stud wall is being ripped out and replaced, when doing that i can add more timber supports to stud wall.
ran123ran30/11/2019 09:23

So if it goes stud wall framework, then it should be ok?The plasterboard …So if it goes stud wall framework, then it should be ok?The plasterboard on stud wall is being ripped out and replaced, when doing that i can add more timber supports to stud wall.

Yeah, the timber will take the weight easily. It's possible that it would be ok fixed to the plasterboard itself but, for peace of mind, fix it to the timber if at all possible.
ran123ran30/11/2019 09:23

So if it goes stud wall framework, then it should be ok?The plasterboard …So if it goes stud wall framework, then it should be ok?The plasterboard on stud wall is being ripped out and replaced, when doing that i can add more timber supports to stud wall.

Bang on ran
Get a stud detector and bolt it onto the studs itself as said above.
Are you sure it's 30kg, have you a link to it?
Looks like you need something like this

Rated at 93kg and they have stronger ones
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions