Is 45% signal strength on the PS3 ok?

9 replies
Found 21st Nov 2009
My son is having loads of problems connecting his PS3 to the internet. When you go in it is showing as only 45% signal strength this is not right is it?!?. I am with O2 and after them switching my wireless from channel to channel they have told me that 45% is about as good as it gets. I think this is wrong and it should be a lot closer to 100%. My son still cannot "connect to the network". O2 have tried to blame it on my wireless phones but they were there before i had this problem and also the fact i live in a flat.
I think this is wrong!. I would appreciate anybody who lives in a flat letting me know what their signal strength is.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments

Have you tried disabing the media server? I never get a good signal on my one either but the XBOX has no issues.

it's just about ok but it could be better.

dcx_badass;6959937

Well for a start it's nothing to do with O2, they control the internet … Well for a start it's nothing to do with O2, they control the internet upto your house, after that it's out of their control, wireless sucks anyway, get some homehubs or run a cable?

personally i think wireless is great (arent homehubs wireless?!?). is it possilbe to move you router closer to the PS3, or maybe buy a better router - the free ones they give out normally arent the best.

How close is the PS3 to the router? There are many factors that govern the signal strength which means you can't really compare your setup to other people's systems. On the PS3 in the next room to the router, it gets about 70% signal and the upstairs one is lower at about 55%.

When you say the PS3 isn't connecting, how far are you getting? Can it connect to the wireless at all, or is it connecting to the wireless then not doing anything further?

I do second the recommendation for a homeplug setup, even though the two PS3's here could connect fine over wireless the performance was variable particularly latency which is no good when playing online. With the homeplug setup the PS3's get a good chunk of bandwidth for media within the house and decent low pings. Obviously the latter is also dependent on the external connection but if your wireless connection is adding a couple of hundred ms ping then you're stuffed anyway.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;6960165

How close is the PS3 to the router? There are many factors that govern … How close is the PS3 to the router? There are many factors that govern the signal strength which means you can't really compare your setup to other people's systems. On the PS3 in the next room to the router, it gets about 70% signal and the upstairs one is lower at about 55%.When you say the PS3 isn't connecting, how far are you getting? Can it connect to the wireless at all, or is it connecting to the wireless then not doing anything further? I do second the recommendation for a homeplug setup, even though the two PS3's here could connect fine over wireless the performance was variable particularly latency which is no good when playing online. With the homeplug setup the PS3's get a good chunk of bandwidth for media within the house and decent low pings. Obviously the latter is also dependent on the external connection but if your wireless connection is adding a couple of hundred ms ping then you're stuffed anyway.John

Sorry it took me so long to reply! it connects to the internet but then cannot connect to the network so when he tries to update it keeps kicking him out. I am moving the ps3 closer to the router to see if that is the issue but i have broken the hdmi lead so will have to wait until i buy another. Thanks for your help

Yes get some powerline adapters. ]Here much better for gaming and also streaming iplayer.

OK,

the most common wireless issue in close proximity is interference from other routers/Access Points using the same channels, you want to ensure you are using 1, 6, or 11 as these channels are non-overlapping on the 2.4GHz range. If you can use a laptop and survey the airwaves with a program like air snort and access what other Wifi can be 'seen' and change to a different channel from them being 1,6, or 11.

Alfonse;6978004

OK,the most common wireless issue in close proximity is interference from … OK,the most common wireless issue in close proximity is interference from other routers/Access Points using the same channels, you want to ensure you are using 1, 6, or 11 as these channels are non-overlapping on the 2.4GHz range. If you can use a laptop and survey the airwaves with a program like air snort and access what other Wifi can be 'seen' and change to a different channel from them being 1,6, or 11.

Further to Alfonse's response, are you using a Wireless 'G' (IEEE 802.11g) or a Wireless 'N' (IEEE 802.11n) specification? (Or earlier?)

Wireless interference can occur with many home appliances; microwave ovens, remote controls for audio or visual equipment, wireless ("cordless") telephone handsets, wireless PC keyboards/mouse peripherals, and other devices.

Do you know if your wireless equipment (router) uses an omni-directional antenna or a directional one?

Can the router be configured to eliminate interference? Have you checked the settings to see if there is anything you can change to see if the situation improves?

...but to answer your question, 45% signal strength sounds very low. Is it not possible to connect your PS3 to your router by an Ethernet cable or utilise a signal booster?

How far away is the console from the router?

BFN,

fp.

Original Poster

Alfonse;6978004

OK,the most common wireless issue in close proximity is interference from … OK,the most common wireless issue in close proximity is interference from other routers/Access Points using the same channels, you want to ensure you are using 1, 6, or 11 as these channels are non-overlapping on the 2.4GHz range. If you can use a laptop and survey the airwaves with a program like air snort and access what other Wifi can be 'seen' and change to a different channel from them being 1,6, or 11.

I was told by O2 (my internet provider) that channel 1 is used by by cordless phones so i think they put me on channel 8.

Original Poster

fanpages;6978312

Further to Alfonse's response, are you using a Wireless 'G' (IEEE … Further to Alfonse's response, are you using a Wireless 'G' (IEEE 802.11g) or a Wireless 'N' (IEEE 802.11n) specification? (Or earlier?)Wireless interference can occur with many home appliances; microwave ovens, remote controls for audio or visual equipment, wireless ("cordless") telephone handsets, wireless PC keyboards/mouse peripherals, and other devices.Do you know if your wireless equipment (router) uses an omni-directional antenna or a directional one?Can the router be configured to eliminate interference? Have you checked the settings to see if there is anything you can change to see if the situation improves?...but to answer your question, 45% signal strength sounds very low. Is it not possible to connect your PS3 to your router by an Ethernet cable or utilise a signal booster?:How far away is the console from the router?BFN,fp.

I don't know what wireless it is lol (sorry i am not technical in any way) it is the standard wireless box provided by O2. :oops. The PS3 is only across the hall as i live in a flat.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Switch from BT to BT same property different person634
    2. Anyone visiting centre parc longleat between 27th-30th22
    3. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…55
    4. Best place to buy a domain22

See more discussions