Is a blocked iPhone 6 Plus worth anything?

LocalFound 19th Feb 2016
Bought off eBay a few months back and is now blocked, is it worth anything for parts or as an iPod etc? If so where can I sell it? Thanks for your help.
Community Updates
28 Comments
Was it blocked when you bought it?
Blocked means it's been reported as lost or stolen .
Original Poster
Tazzer

Blocked means it's been reported as lost or stolen .

I called EE and it was blocked because the original owner hadn't paid the contract for a few months
Original Poster
spencer24

Was it blocked when you bought it?

No only recently
less than 6 months ago? paypal has a 180 day refund policy
otherwise chase the seller, threaten legal action. it's not like having a hair band break after 3 years of daily use.
not sure what a block restricts, but if you can do everything except put a sim card in, you can use it as an iPod, with apps and whatnot, just over wifi
It can easily develop a fault and Apple will exchange it for you if in warranty, I wouldn't advise that normally but since its an Apple you might as well give it a try.
As above, this may help apple.com/uk/…ra/ but best bet will be to complain to ebay and get paypal refund
It is only blocked in the UK, if you took it abroad you will get good money, sell it when you go holiday.
COMPLAIN TO PAYPAL GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND THAN CHANGE THE DATE TO JAN 1970 GET A REPLACEMENT AND GO HOME LAUGHING
Original Poster
HamanBasher

COMPLAIN TO PAYPAL GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND THAN CHANGE THE DATE TO JAN … COMPLAIN TO PAYPAL GET YOUR MONEY BACK AND THAN CHANGE THE DATE TO JAN 1970 GET A REPLACEMENT AND GO HOME LAUGHING

What do you mean change the date?
Changing the date to 1st Jan 1970 renders any iPhone useless
oldskooler75

What do you mean change the date?

​Some some iDevices if you set the date to the earliest possible time, the phone gets confused and bricks itself. By bricks I mean that it renderes it unless and apple will usually change it for you, but not always and it's not really worth the risk
Report to eBay. Get your money back. It might be stollen. eBay can then contact seller for explanation.
Their is a fix for the date thing anyway, Just have to disconnect the battery, That involves a couple of screws and a suction cup :), Or just leave it until battery as totally discharged which could take a few months until it's totally dead lol.
Original Poster
Too late to report to PayPal and want to do things legit, called apple and they said there's nothing they can do.. Probably just use/sell it as an iPods then
Original Poster
Someone has offered £170 from gumtree and said they send them abroad, this sound genuine?
oldskooler75

Too late to report to PayPal and want to do things legit, called apple … Too late to report to PayPal and want to do things legit, called apple and they said there's nothing they can do.. Probably just use/sell it as an iPods then

You said you bought it a few months back, you can open a PayPal case upto 6 months old.
Original Poster
joshp

You said you bought it a few months back, you can open a PayPal case upto … You said you bought it a few months back, you can open a PayPal case upto 6 months old.

It was 8 months ago
oldskooler75

Someone has offered £170 from gumtree and said they send them abroad, … Someone has offered £170 from gumtree and said they send them abroad, this sound genuine?

Yea! About as genuine as the email I got today about the millions of £'s I have inherited from an African prince!
The only 2 real options i can see is
Number 1: list it on ebay as parts spares or repairs but be honest and say its been blocked
Number 2: Sell it when you go on holiday EDIT: abroad not skegness haha

or read this forum and do what this person did but i am guessing 8 months might be too long forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho…284

Edited by: "larrylightweight" 19th Feb 2016
happened to me in past, best thing to do is pay to have the phone unlocked (on eBay) sounds crazy as the phone is blocked but then it can be used in any other country and holds the value of an unlocked phone, i did it and sold it to someone in spain for proper monies:) Can assist you with this is you like:)

If you change the date back to 1 jan 1970 it crashes the phone and leaves in a constant reboot loop, apple cannot read the error code and will swap the handset, obviously don't mention the fact its blocked lol,

don't bother selling for parts as its simply not worth it. There is now error 50 which voids people doing 3rd party diy on iPhones. so if you do it through eBay for spare parts its more than likely going to come back and bite you.
error 53 and supposedly apple have apologised and backtracked on this
oldskooler75

It was 8 months ago

Still chance it with paypal / ebay. They favour buyers in most cases, may still be worth a go.
List it on eBay.com and sell it in USA through eBay global. Mention on the listing that phone will not work in the UK and u should be fine.
kash2013

List it on eBay.com and sell it in USA through eBay global. Mention on … List it on eBay.com and sell it in USA through eBay global. Mention on the listing that phone will not work in the UK and u should be fine.

Just remember that you're not allowed to list it on eBay if it is blocked, and it's also illegal to sell an item you know to be reported as lost or stolen, even if you legitimately bought it from eBay. Most listings for barred phones seem to carefully worded so it's obvious that it's blocked but they are acting like they don't realise - eg - 'won't pick up signal on any networks' or words to that effect.

Just be careful because if eBay pick up on it they might suspend your account.

This is why I don't buy off eBay - 6 months is simply not enough to cover the eventuality of someone not paying their bill within the 24m lifespan of a contract
i say it constantly but why not say it again
smartfonestore give a lifetime warranty against blocks (e.g. networks blocks from reported stolen/bills not paid which can happen further down the line) and locks (iCloud locks - which would be evident on day one)
buying a used iPhone from a stranger on eBay or gumtree is the digital equivalent of buying a box of spuds from a car boot thinking you're getting a camcorder
so if i buy a new iphone as long as it under warranty and blocked i can do the date trick (clock it back to the 1st January 1970) and hand it in to Apple, where they will replace the phone?
Shotzz96

so if i buy a new iphone as long as it under warranty and blocked i can … so if i buy a new iphone as long as it under warranty and blocked i can do the date trick (clock it back to the 1st January 1970) and hand it in to Apple, where they will replace the phone?

They might if under warranty, However they may just change the battery there and then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions