Is a composite door handle easy to change?

Posted 15th May
Hi, my lock is starting to grab the key on removing it and I’m wanting to replace before it potentially fails. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3464030.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the right of the handle in the picture.
They are easy to replace.
Before doing that however, find a regular pencil and colour your key in on both sides.
Insert it into to the lock and out a few times. Top up on the colouring a little and repeat.
This should add a some lubrication and save you a few quid replacing it when it's most probably a little dry.
The graphite in the pencil will lubricate.
9 Comments
Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the right of the handle in the picture.
They are easy to replace.
Before doing that however, find a regular pencil and colour your key in on both sides.
Insert it into to the lock and out a few times. Top up on the colouring a little and repeat.
This should add a some lubrication and save you a few quid replacing it when it's most probably a little dry.
The graphite in the pencil will lubricate.
Holte_ender15/05/2020 08:52

Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the …Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the right of the handle in the picture.They are easy to replace.Before doing that however, find a regular pencil and colour your key in on both sides.Insert it into to the lock and out a few times. Top up on the colouring a little and repeat.This should add a some lubrication and save you a few quid replacing it when it's most probably a little dry.The graphite in the pencil will lubricate.

Thank you I will give that a try
Or the door might want slight readjustment, or the striking plate has moved on door frame slightly so creates a slight binding effect.

Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the …Screws to remove/replace are usually within the door frame just to the right of the handle in the picture.They are easy to replace.Before doing that however, find a regular pencil and colour your key in on both sides.Insert it into to the lock and out a few times. Top up on the colouring a little and repeat.This should add a some lubrication and save you a few quid replacing it when it's most probably a little dry.The graphite in the pencil will lubricate.

This. Graphite is a great lubricant for locks - never use oil or wd40.
Do you really mean replace the handle, or just the lock cylinder?
If you do decide to replace the lock then it should be fairly easy if it's a euro cylinder lock (I had to do this when my son lost his key at school).

There should be a screw holding the lock in place so remove it first. Then put your key in and then turn & pull to slide the lock out.

youtube.com/wat…mlk
Maybe the door has dropped very slightly, try adjusting, making sure to mark hinges before you start.
windowware.co.uk/new…nge
Edited by: "fearona" 16th May
Upgrade your lock to a 3 star platinum anti snap while your at it £30
Edited by: "the.porter" 15th May

The pencil trick sorted it cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions