Groups

Is a driving crash course worth it?

as above

Any good recommendations? i see they average from £800-£1000.

15 Comments

Banned

Not worth that sort of money

For a quick run through yeah I would say so for a quick fix. However, I had 33 hours in total, and still passed first time. I think this equated to around 500-600. But got proper road experience. Which I dont think you get on a crash course? (Probably spent 700 including theory and test etc)

Although, I don't quite know how they work to be honest.

Edited by: "DarrylJohn" 3rd Dec 2010

Original Poster

hmm has anyone here done one?

nothing can compete with experience over time. that said, I haven't driven since I passed. pesky uni...

MarzBarz

hmm has anyone here done one?

Haven't done one, but would say it depends on the person, can you drive at all, know the basics, confident?

For some I guess it would be good but for others not so.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I'm really tempted to do one aswell, just don't have the time/patience to … I'm really tempted to do one aswell, just don't have the time/patience to do it weekly.

Thats the same with me, although i havent taken a lesson yet lol. Will give it a go but could do with finishing it straight away.

Original Poster

jtx

Haven't done one, but would say it depends on the person, can you drive … Haven't done one, but would say it depends on the person, can you drive at all, know the basics, confident? For some I guess it would be good but for others not so.

Never driven in my life so far. Im confident though.

think you will find that they do not like calling them crash course for obvious reasons, intensive course now that's better.
    i done one bout 17 years back (before theory test) i think and it was hard, if you are not used to sitting in a cramped space it can be quite sore and also frustrating if things don't go to plan.
    failed the test after the intensive, but then done a 2 hour session over 5 saturdays and passed with flying colours

Banned

Much better to get some private practice if possible first, i did this and the booked a trial lesson when i had mastered the basics. then 6 hours of lessons later im sat here waiting for my test next friday (weather permitting)

Banned

lolz ,a driving crash course ,where ya planning to crash....................an airport?

Original Poster

dcx_badass

I've had no lessons either although no how to drive in theory if that … I've had no lessons either although no how to drive in theory if that makes sense, and done the odd curcuits in car parks/our estate. Ideally I'd like a few more hours private practive then one of these courses.Want a Land Rover Defender as my first car.

I want a seat ibiza lol.

Original Poster

wolves

Much better to get some private practice if possible first, i did this … Much better to get some private practice if possible first, i did this and the booked a trial lesson when i had mastered the basics. then 6 hours of lessons later im sat here waiting for my test next friday (weather permitting)

yeah ill take a few private lessons and then take the odd spin in a car park with a friend.

I had a weeks intensive driving course in North Wales. It was about £600 (about 10 yrs ago), including accomodation, 6 or 7hrs driving a day. I found it suited my needs, had tried 1 lesson a week but it wasn't working.

I'd recomend it i think this is who i went with

rapid-passing.co.uk/ind…tml

ive done one, i was very lucky my mum was a secretary of a driving school and someone cancelled. i was pregnant and they offered it to me. never drove in my life, started mon and passed my test on the fri. mum paid for the test and i got the lessons for free!!

Used to work at a driving school and it varies from person to person. A large percentage of young people switch off after x amount of time. I know when I was learning, I found my attention waning towards the end of a double lesson. The problem with intensive courses is that it's a hell of a lot to take in AND get right within a space of a week. Those who are naturally adept at driving are more likely to do okay with them but for most people we used to recommend they do it on the weekly basis, or a lesson a day five days a week if they were impatient.

Don't forget they recently made the driving test harder too!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.79
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767348
      3. What would be HELL to you?2637
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927370

See more discussions