Is a Geforce 6gb 1060 GPU overkill for my system?

Found 1st Oct 2017
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D-E LX
CPU: I7-870 2.93Ghz
RAM: 16gb

Alternatives? 1050 TI 4gb?

Thanks!

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

Depends what you're planning on doing?

Hard to tell as you haven't listed example games you want to play (your mobo being an older gaming focused one - I am assuming thats your aim?)
The 1060 of course is better - a lot on here like AMD's rx570/580's too.

Original Poster

Bertz999 h, 24 m ago

Hard to tell as you haven't listed example games you want to play (your …Hard to tell as you haven't listed example games you want to play (your mobo being an older gaming focused one - I am assuming thats your aim?)The 1060 of course is better - a lot on here like AMD's rx570/580's too.

@Bertz99 I'd like to do as much as possible but I'm not sure my motherboard and processor are up to it - modern and older gaming. Concerned it will just be a bottleneck.

greenfeld4 h, 9 m ago

@Bertz99 I'd like to do as much as possible but I'm not sure my …@Bertz99 I'd like to do as much as possible but I'm not sure my motherboard and processor are up to it - modern and older gaming. Concerned it will just be a bottleneck.

The general rule of thumb is that for gaming it's the graphics card that you spend the most on to get the most bang. Yes your system is dated but unless you want to upgrade your cpu, memory, motherboard you will still get value at following this. Even PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 (yours vs current) loses 7% in a top current spec machine - going down the scale you will be less hampered/unlikely to saturate this bandwidth.

My own route would be the graphics card with an eye on not needing to budget that when you replace your other components.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 2nd Oct 2017

Original Poster

Thanks, @Bertz99 I think I'll go with the 6gb 1060

I would say no as I have a 3rd gen i7 and yours is a 1st, my friend has the same as yours and we both have an amd 290x which is comparable to the 970gtx and 1060 and we both get about the same frame rate at 1080p in games. Next time you upgrade tho you will definitely have to upgrade :P
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants