Is a refurb Iphone from the apple store unlocked?

Found 29th Sep 2012
Hi all

Just sold my IPhone 4 (refurbished, exchanged by apple about a year ago) as unlocked. They guy who bought it off me has said that his O2 sim doesn't work (I was on vodafone). So as title really. Are refurbs from Apple locked (I assumed they were all unlocked)

Thanks in advance
Pete

16 Comments

Banned

O2 will unlock it for free if you're on contract

I think they are locked I am afraid, pretty sure they are actually locked with the first sim you put in, because they unlock via Apple and a main server (iTunes tells you when the phone is unlocked after a restore)

You can get them unlocked for free, so tell him to do so with O2 -

This is the link to the unlock form

They are not locked to the first sim you put in, they are locked to the contract you have.
Unless you buy direct from apple as sim free.
02 won't be able to unlock it, only Vodofone and I seriously doubt the new owner will be able to unlock it, it has to be the original owner otherwise anyone could steal a phone and have it unlocked.
Edited by: "willhay555" 29th Sep 2012

dcx_badass

Only 2 out of 5 comments in this thread are relevant/correct. The rest … Only 2 out of 5 comments in this thread are relevant/correct. The rest need ignoring.

Im intrigued, which lol.

Banned

aircanman

Im intrigued, which lol.

Mine for starters

willhay555

They are not locked to the first sim you put in, they are locked to the … They are not locked to the first sim you put in, they are locked to the contract you have.Unless you buy direct from apple as sim free.02 won't be able to unlock it, only Vodofone and I seriously doubt the new owner will be able to unlock it, it has to be the original owner otherwise anyone could steal a phone and have it unlocked.

So tell me then, how does Apple give you a replacement and it become locked to your original network?

dcx_badass

Only 2 out of 5 comments in this thread are relevant/correct. The rest … Only 2 out of 5 comments in this thread are relevant/correct. The rest need ignoring.

I love how you wade in and offer nothing but a comment about people who were trying to help. Obviously I was not the only one who didn't notice Vodafone, easy mistake. sadass.

dcx_badass

Incorrect advice is more dangerous than no advice. It's already been said … Incorrect advice is more dangerous than no advice. It's already been said that it's locked to the first network, and google would have answered it.

So the only thing I put wrong was to contact O2 - Oooh that is dangerous advice.

they lock the replacement to the original network the phone is on unless you bought it direct from apple.

Banned

Snoop7

they lock the replacement to the original network the phone is on unless … they lock the replacement to the original network the phone is on unless you bought THE ORIGINAL HANDSET direct from apple.

fixed

Edited by: "dimebars" 30th Sep 2012

Snoop7

they lock the replacement to the original network the phone is on unless … they lock the replacement to the original network the phone is on unless you bought it direct from apple.

The first sim that activates in the iPhone is the one it locks to, some people have reported that even 'unlocked' handsets direct from Apple are also doing the same thing, they are unlocked as in they will accept any sim, but after that you need to get them unlocked!! £25 from Apple according to some of the websites!

Wow the answer is the phone was supplied sim free from apple but as soon as you plug it in to your iTunes it then locks the phone to your network. The unlocking us done also via iTunes ( this I know from unlocking 5 iPhones) Your phone will be locked to Vodafone so you need to contact them, I am unsure if he could then plug it in to his iTunes to unlock the phone so google it.

This is a very sad thread.....

Lots of people who have no idea how iPhone network locks work, but are taking random guesses.

The funniest one is "The phone locks to the first sim that is put in it... pmsl.."

Quite simply... When the phone is connected to itunes to activate it (Can't get round this!) it inherits its lock status from the phone it replaced (Lock details are automatically set from the apple genius scanning the IMEI number when processing your replacement).

Only network unlocks can be performed via apple/itunes with instruction from the network the phone came from.

Apple know the status of all iphones and locks applied.
Network unlocks can not be sent over the air, typed into the handset etc..
Only done with interaction with apple itunes servers.

Right, close the thread.

Some advice on here is like what I stumbled across today... (Pasted picture below!)

http://imgdaddy.com/upload/8986.png

Original Poster

I forgot I started this thread so apologies for ignoring all the witty banter and thanks for the replies!!

OK an update in the story. Vodafone told me they had sorted it and I should wait for confirmation from apple as they had made the request. Get an email today saying that the EMEI number doesn't match their records (I had told them this would be the case). In the email it says "please customer care and get the IMEI number updated! Tried to do this (despite the fact they already have it!) and they gave me apples number. Apple want to charge me £25 just to talk them! Phoned Vodafone back and they said "just take it into an apple store and they will unlock it" I know this won't be the case and can just see this all going tits up!

So hopefully the guy I sold it to will take it to the nearest apple store and everyone will be happy but I can't see that happening!

Any ideas? lol

Only way is to get the IMEI number updated to the replacement iphone.
Then reapply for the unlock.
Keep trying Vodafone your bound to get someone who knows what their doing eventually.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants