Expired

Is a sodastream machine worth it?

Found 26th Aug 2013
I think they look cool.

Can you only carbonate special drinks made for the machine? If so, what is the point? You could buy fizzy sodastream drinks without the need for the machine. It isn't really making your own.

Seems a bit like a novelty, let me know!
Community Updates
AskSodaStream
8 Comments
You could fizz up your Baileys or red wine. oO
donaldduck2

You could fizz up your Baileys or red wine. oO

Haha! Does the machine actual let you "fizz" drinks which aren't SS brands?
Yeah. Just carbonates the water. You then add syrup.
heleneg

Haha! Does the machine actual let you "fizz" drinks which aren't SS … Haha! Does the machine actual let you "fizz" drinks which aren't SS brands?

Nope it just makes a mess, only carbonate water. I've had one for a couple of years now, the drinks don't taste great but they are good enough. Top tip 1: buy a 2nd canister of gas as a spare. Top tip 2: Don't add the syrup then carbonate, takes ages to clean up.

Oh and it doesn't taste very nice with flat water
Hmm seems like a fun novelty but nothing more than that! Why not buy already carbonated drinks?
I buy asda Smartprice sparkling water at 17p for 2 litres, so 8.5p per litre, which is half the cost of Sodastream water (refill gas at £9.99 for 60 litres, so 16.65p per litre). I add apple or blackcurrant high juice which makes a really refreshing drink and the bottle lasts for ages as you don't need to use much - obviously you could use any squash/brand/flavour at all, rather than buying Sodastream concentrates. Economical and you can use even less squash in the sparkling water for little ones. The only benefit of Sodastream, I think, is that you don't have to carry heavy water bottles, so useful if you carry your shopping home. Maybe useful if you want extra fizzed water but then it probaly wouldn't even last for 60 litres.
buy sparkling water and add juice its better trust me and cheaper buy aldi sparkling water 4 2ltrs for £1.20 add juice of your choice great value kids love it too
Edited by: "kaned69" 27th Aug 2013
I own one and while it's nice not to have to run to the store to get sparkling water, that's about the biggest advantage. I've started getting lidl's water as it's cheaper (12.5p/l) and far far superior to the asda smartprice/sainsbury's basics/ etc.
also if you use the sodastream mixes to make your own drink you end up paying far more than buying drinks in a shop. they're Really expensive!
you could potentially use it to make different kinds of drink sparkling though. although watch out, it's pretty terrible to clean when you use sugary stuff!!!
Edited by: "andreapedrazzini" 28th Aug 2013
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants