Groups

Is an extended TV warranty worth it?

Just got a brand new LG 47" LED TV. It failed after 1 day!

Ok, will return to store no problem, but this was a discontinued model so I can't get a replacement.

I am looking at other TVs now but they all only come with 1 year warranty. If I didn't purchase an extra warranty, would I be covered under something like the Sales of Good Act if it broke after 1 year?

-Looking at Samsung now, LG have lost me-

20 Comments

It's a gamble either way.

I have done it in the past but to mean it is usually a waste of money.

Obviously in your case you have had a failure which is unfortunate but for me in most cases the warranty too expensive and money down the drain. I tend to think I will ride the luck etc and risk it because if it fails in 3 years I will be able to buy a replacement significantly cheaper anyway.

Theoretically you are covered for 2 years under EU law. The retailer may (most likely) put up a fight but I believe there is an EU law that says items should remain in working order for up to 2 years excluding wear and tear etc.

I know people who have quoted it to Sony regarding a PS3 and they offered to replace it if they had the receipt.

EU Directive (1999/44/EC)

By no means will it be easy to get a retailer to honour this though and they will fight it but it is EU law.
    Edited by: "CyDoNiA" 14th Jan 2011

Banned

5 year warrentees are only worth it if they are free or very cheap like at Richer Sounds.

As slamdunkin has said, get a free one from the likes of John Lewis, Richer Sounds, Robert Whyte or the manufacturer's offers, like Panasonic do.

Otherwise leave it.

That is true John Lewis do 5 Years thrown in in most cases. Some other retailers do money back if you don't make a claim too (Richersounds used to). They work on the assumption that in 5 years time you won't remember to make the claim for it back though as it's not automatic.

hi not alot of people know this but every new lcd tv bought is covered by a 5 year guarantee following eec regulations if something goes wrong within 5 years you contact the store where you bought it from,for a free repair or compensation if not repairable

If possible, buy it online, over the phone or via Interactive TV so the Distance Selling Regulations apply - that gives you 6 years after purchase to make a complaint to the retailer (refund/replacement/credit is not guaranteed though. If you are going to pay by credit card then the card company are also liable if something goes wrong.

Look for items with manufacturer guarantee.

garymolyneux

hi not alot of people know this but every new lcd tv bought is covered by … hi not alot of people know this but every new lcd tv bought is covered by a 5 year guarantee following eec regulations if something goes wrong within 5 years you contact the store where you bought it from,for a free repair or compensation if not repairable

I think you find that it is up to 6 years under the amended Sale of Goods Act 1979. You will be entitled to either a repair or replacement. I personally would suggest opting for the additional cover offered with a warranty. If it is free from the likes of John Lewis or from a manufacturer (normally supplied by a third party such as Domestic and General after the 1st year), or Richer Sounds who will only charge 10% on top of the purchase price (it is even possible to haggle there!) then it would be a worth while investment.

I'm sitting here waiting for my television to turn up after a number of faults. Its turned out that the software has been reset on my set so I'm hoping I don''t have any more problems. It makes life easier if you can rely upon a warranty that requires a single phone call than maybe going through copious amounts of correspondence to try and get a faulty set fixed. Some manufacturers are better than others but it seems like we are guinea pigs as sets are made in different factories often with different panels and in many instances sent out with different settings so you never know what to expect.

Go with HANNSPREE - excellent TV, Value and 2 year warranty!

garymolyneux

hi not alot of people know this but every new lcd tv bought is covered by … hi not alot of people know this but every new lcd tv bought is covered by a 5 year guarantee following eec regulations if something goes wrong within 5 years you contact the store where you bought it from,for a free repair or compensation if not repairable

Just try to enforce it.

Do you have a link to that legislation?

Banned

CyDoNiA

That is true John Lewis do 5 Years thrown in in most cases. Some other … That is true John Lewis do 5 Years thrown in in most cases. Some other retailers do money back if you don't make a claim too (Richersounds used to). They work on the assumption that in 5 years time you won't remember to make the claim for it back though as it's not automatic.

so wrong! its 2 years in the EU which the UK didnt sign up to. 6 years soga only if you can prove the tv had an inherent fault at time of purchase. Good luck with that with a 4 year old TV that develops a fault.

garymolyneux

so wrong its unbelievable.
    the EEC directive is just that in the UK, a directive NOT LAW.
    and its only for 2 years.

the sale of goods act states that a product must last a reasonable amount of time. how long is reasonable?
    after 6 months of ownership and beyond, its up to YOU to prove the item was faulty or badly manufactured from day one.
    you may have to go to court to fight this.

in the UK unless specified by the retailer or manufacturer, tvs have a 12 month warranty.

Depends if you have a household insurance policy, and if it is a new for old cover - how fairly does your excess compare to any extra cover you might have to take out on the TV. Sometimes the bases on big TV's can be a little unstable

Banned

garymolyneux

utter nonsense! so wrong!

its 2 years in the EU which the UK didnt sign up to. 6 years soga only if you can prove the tv had an inherent fault at time of purchase. Good luck with that with a 4 year old TV that develops a fault.

i suggest you get your facts right you are wrong you are covered for 5 years how xan iy be ytter nonsense when i have just

csiman

utter nonsense! so wrong! its 2 years in the EU which the UK didnt sign … utter nonsense! so wrong! its 2 years in the EU which the UK didnt sign up to. 6 years soga only if you can prove the tv had an inherent fault at time of purchase. Good luck with that with a 4 year old TV that develops a fault.

slackrat77

so wrong its unbelievable.the EEC directive is just that in the UK, a … so wrong its unbelievable.the EEC directive is just that in the UK, a directive NOT LAW.and its only for 2 years.the sale of goods act states that a product must last a reasonable amount of time. how long is reasonable?after 6 months of ownership and beyond, its up to YOU to prove the item was faulty or badly manufactured from day one.you may have to go to court to fight this.in the UK unless specified by the retailer or manufacturer, tvs have a 12 month warranty.

Banned

garymolyneux

i suggest you get your facts right you are wrong you are covered for 5 … i suggest you get your facts right you are wrong you are covered for 5 years how xan iy be ytter nonsense when i have just

Source of info or just not man enough to admit you're talking BS?

i know ive just recieved a cheque from tesco so thats enough proof that im right

Banned

garymolyneux

i know ive just recieved a cheque from tesco so thats enough proof that … i know ive just recieved a cheque from tesco so thats enough proof that im right

guess you got lucky or had a good cry in the store. You're still wrong about your 'facts' though

do you have a link thats proof that all TVs in the UK come with a 5 year warranty?
    cos I cant find one.

Banned

slackrat77

do you have a link thats proof that all TVs in the UK come with a 5 year … do you have a link thats proof that all TVs in the UK come with a 5 year warranty?cos I cant find one.

cue a deafening silence...................

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. Decisions, decisions.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      2. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      3. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77
      4. Jeremy Corbyn #traingate1317

See more discussions