Is an impact wrench worth it?

Posted 14th Oct
I work on my own car. Services etc. And repairs when needed. I work on axle stands.

Is it worth getting an impact wrench?
Has anyone ever felt like they needed an impact in a situation where they couldn’t fit a breaker bar?

Taking the wheels on and off can get annoying aha.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
To be honest, I find several situations where an impact wrench might help but just doesn't fit. I treated myself to one a while back (A Clarke mains powered one), but I tend to find myself reaching for my breaker bar more often. It's not lack of power, it is just access.
I find mine useful when undoing fixings on things that rotate, like crankshaft/alternator pulleys and driveshafts. For motorbikes I find an impact gun essential for undoing flywheels.

It's not just about the amount of force they can put out, but the type of force and how to use it to your advantage.
My makita makes jobs loads quicker. But if I was buying one now I would buy Milwaukee. We have them at work and great quality.
slimy3114/10/2019 20:28

To be honest, I find several situations where an impact wrench might help …To be honest, I find several situations where an impact wrench might help but just doesn't fit. I treated myself to one a while back (A Clarke mains powered one), but I tend to find myself reaching for my breaker bar more often. It's not lack of power, it is just access.

I was thinking to get a cheap eBay impact. Then thought, I’ve been cheap most my life, I’ll prob end up regretting it once it breaks on a vital job.
Then thought of getting a normal impact. Then figured what if I can’t fit it in somewhere right?

Now I’m thinking to get the Milwaukee stubby impact?
But I don’t know if I couldn’t justify spending that much on one off jobs lol. May even just get used on wheel nuts.
I bought one of the Makita LXT 1/2” impact drivers. While it’s been useful, I’m wary of using it. Even using 6sided Makita sockets it was jamming or ruining wheel nuts upon loosening. Pretty sure it’s not the driver at fault and millions of mechanics use impact drivers on various jobs.

Haven’t gotten round to getting new sockets yet, any suggestions?
Oneday7715/10/2019 09:55

I bought one of the Makita LXT 1/2” impact drivers. While it’s been use …I bought one of the Makita LXT 1/2” impact drivers. While it’s been useful, I’m wary of using it. Even using 6sided Makita sockets it was jamming or ruining wheel nuts upon loosening. Pretty sure it’s not the driver at fault and millions of mechanics use impact drivers on various jobs. Haven’t gotten round to getting new sockets yet, any suggestions?

The drill isn’t buckled is it? So it rotates pretty straight?
If you get what I mean
I got a cheap one for £80 and it's worth it for crank bolts, suspension etc.

it all depends how often you do work on vehicles and how much you value your time as there is always a hand tools method but an impact saves time.
adamspencer9515/10/2019 11:22

I got a cheap one for £80 and it's worth it for crank bolts, suspension …I got a cheap one for £80 and it's worth it for crank bolts, suspension etc.it all depends how often you do work on vehicles and how much you value your time as there is always a hand tools method but an impact saves time.

If you don’t mind me asking, which one did you get for £80
Lidls have a mains powered one for around £40 at the moment. They can be good but can also wreck nuts if not used carefully with impact sockets
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants