Groups

Is an upgrade from this laptop to this one worth it?

Hi all. This is probably a really stupid question but here we go.....

I bought this deal over 6 years ago and is still laptop I am using daily today

hotukdeals.com/tag/dea…294

It has recently started freezing on me a lot, disk drive has gone, and it gets very hot and noisy.

I am looking at going for the Levono Yoga 710 thats on offer for 599 at John Lewis. Is it a serious upgrade and would I notice a lot of difference? I used to know loads about computers but have forgotten it all in later years so any advice from you experts would be very gratefully recieved

6 Comments

Comparing a Core2Duo Vs a 7th Gen i5 is like comparing a moped to an entry level Ferrari. I'm not saying the Levono Yoga 710 is the best deal or the right laptop for what you want but the difference between those two systems is as vast as the Atlantic ocean.

Original Poster

Thanks I thought so but wanted to chexk before biting. I have a new 4K camcorder and the Vaio just doesnt want to edit the footage at all. Thinking the Yoga 710 would be ideal as also want it for things like taking away for movies, managing my music library on itunes and small gaming (football manager)

i5 7200u stats are limited but a comparison of the T9900 vs the older 6th gen i5 6200u are as follow...

GeekBench 3 (Multi-core)
    Core2 Duo T9900 =2,984
    Core i5 6200u = 5,589.5

GeekBench 3 (Single core)
    Core2 Duo T9900= 1,657
    Core i5 6200U = 2,623

3D Mark 06 (CPU)
    Core2 Duo T9900 =2,787
    Core i5 6200U =3,781.5

Benchmarks of the Yoga 710 graphics
    notebookcheck.net/Int…tml
    If you scroll to the bottom it gives expected frame rates of various games at various resolutions

One final note before I'm done spamming your thread. Be advised the "u" moniker at the end of Intel CPU's is affectionately known as "underpowered". The CPU's with the "u" at the end are slower than those without it, they do however use much less power (electricity) and also run cooler and so such machines should also run quieter. To my knowledge the current 7th gen are all U processors, as such there are more powerful 6th gen processors such as the i5 6300HQ.
    Edited by: "dozstanford" 31st Dec 2016

chrisp1986

Thanks I thought so but wanted to chexk before biting. I have a new 4K … Thanks I thought so but wanted to chexk before biting. I have a new 4K camcorder and the Vaio just doesnt want to edit the footage at all. Thinking the Yoga 710 would be ideal as also want it for things like taking away for movies, managing my music library on itunes and small gaming (football manager)

Last post, I promise. Just noticed you want to edit 4k video. Unlike editing images editing video requires graphics performance and I would urge you to buy a laptop with a dedicated graphics card even with a 950m you will see a vast improvement in the time it takes to compile videos.

Edited by: "dozstanford" 31st Dec 2016

Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice. Would you say this is a decent laptop though when a touchscreen is wanted and budget is around 650-700?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844464
      2. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers911
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826353
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553781

See more discussions