Is anyone awake?

Found 13th Jan
I'm not feeling like sleeping tonight anyone here, no one's on Facebook and things to talk to.

I'm at my parents and I am in shock I think because my flat is water damaged I can't go home and the landlord won't look until Monday, the roof was on fire, God bless the people from the pub who came banging on doors, we didn't know.

The fire chief thought it may take up to 3 weeks to dry out and check it's all safe. The police were useless.

I've checked the news but not seen anything said about it, maybe tomorrow
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Hope your Lego is OK.
39 Comments
I posted this like 5 hours ago
Good morning.

That sucks, but you're safe.

On a practical note, do you have household insurance because water damage can be very destructive
Hope your Lego is OK.
You live in the toilets at Nottingham railway station?
Morning.

Sorry to hear about the fire, but at least you and your little one are safe, praise God.

I'm on some heavy meds so was knocked out last night.

Just before bedtime very close friend phoned asking prayers for his wife - docs said she wasn't expected to get through the night - pneumonia - poor lass.
Hope she can hang on a while longer - don't think he could go on without her.

Seems to be tough times all round at the moment - let's look forward to getting through all this and getting to a better place in the days and weeks ahead.

God bless.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 6 m ago

I posted this like 5 hours ago

Do your posts come under moderator review?

Also sorry about the fire.
Uranus13th Jan

Do your posts come under moderator review?

Try not to take it personally; I've had it on several occasions - most of us have.
It can be a bit creepy, but sometimes a mod appears to hang around a while checking we're not losing the plot.

I suppose they've got house rules and they've probably got to watch their backs for legal reasons too.

It's no biggie - the fact you're still with us shows you're not that nutty.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 13th Jan
Uranus13th Jan

Do your posts come under moderator review?Also sorry about the fire.

It's probably because your username sounds like a swearword used to describe a fatherless child.

Or the fact your posts are often controversial/offensive.

You would be best to use the contact button or feedback.
Genuinely sorry to hear about your flat, Hope you're back in it soon and the damage fixed etc.
It must have been very scary for you and your son. Hope things get sorted quickly
Wow that all sounds crazy. No wonder you couldn't sleep, you will be in shock. Glad your safe now. Things will get better. Ridiculous the landlord wouldn't send someone out, it's his property! Try and get your stuff moved to a safe place where it can't get damaged. Landlordwill have to have cover if he's legit.
OllieSt5 h, 36 m ago

Good morning.That sucks, but you're safe.On a practical note, do you have …Good morning.That sucks, but you're safe.On a practical note, do you have household insurance because water damage can be very destructive

I have contents I've never claimed before I just sent them a email to get the ball rolling as the phone lines don't open till Monday it says on the net (towergate).

I went and got some stuff this morning and took some crumbs pictures, the pub owner has two photos of the fire and a video if I need it, I got his phone number.
LeahsMintytoutou3 h, 0 m ago

Wow that all sounds crazy. No wonder you couldn't sleep, you will be in …Wow that all sounds crazy. No wonder you couldn't sleep, you will be in shock. Glad your safe now. Things will get better. Ridiculous the landlord wouldn't send someone out, it's his property! Try and get your stuff moved to a safe place where it can't get damaged. Landlordwill have to have cover if he's legit.

He's a strict jew, the contracted plumber came out, he's the one who stopped the leak and said he'd be round Monday . But it better not rain theres a hole now where the pipe goes through the ceiling.

33054491-uTD4w.jpg

I think the routers had it.

33054491-ohxms.jpg
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 3 m ago

I have contents I've never claimed before I just sent them a email to get …I have contents I've never claimed before I just sent them a email to get the ball rolling as the phone lines don't open till Monday it says on the net (towergate). I went and got some stuff this morning and took some crumbs pictures, the pub owner has two photos of the fire and a video if I need it, I got his phone number.

Imagine turning your home upside down. Anything that falls is contents insurance, the rest is buildings insurance. The damage to the walls, carpets, hole in the ceiling etc is buildings insurance.

I think it is sensible to leave a window undone to allow air movement. The hiring of a de-humidifyer is most probably sensible but your landlord ought to be arranging that.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 13th Jan
OllieSt34 m ago

Imagine turning your home upside down. Anything that falls is contents …Imagine turning your home upside down. Anything that falls is contents insurance, the rest is buildings insurance. The damage to the walls, carpets, hole in the ceiling etc is buildings insurance. I think it is sensible to leave a window undone to allow air movement. The hiring of a de-humidifyer is most probably sensible but your landlord ought to be arranging that.

The problem is the carpets are blue they don't show the damp, I'll try to take pictures of individual things tomorrow, i didn't have much time today my dad didn't want to have the car parked too long
deleted265520
Hope it gets sorted quickly OP
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 41 m ago

I went and got some stuff this morning and took some crumbs pictures,

I doubt that you'll be able to claim for your biscuits

So long as you're ok
Segata-Sanshiro2 h, 42 m ago

The problem is the carpets are blue they don't show the damp, I'll try to …The problem is the carpets are blue they don't show the damp, I'll try to take pictures of individual things tomorrow, i didn't have much time today my dad didn't want to have the car parked too long

Give it a few days, you'll smell the carpets. They will stink. My son once emptied the bath out all over the bathroom carpet. It had to go. If the insurance send out an assessor , they'll know the carpet will need to be replaced
deeky40 m ago

I doubt that you'll be able to claim for your biscuits So …I doubt that you'll be able to claim for your biscuits So long as you're ok

Yes, I've been trying to find out about landlords obligations and the council but I can't find a circumstance listed that matches they hired a incompetent baboon with a blowtouch to set fire to the roof. Its all just a no ones fault, the Tennant's fault, an act of god or due to landlords neglect of the property.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

Give it a few days, you'll smell the carpets. They will stink. My son once …Give it a few days, you'll smell the carpets. They will stink. My son once emptied the bath out all over the bathroom carpet. It had to go. If the insurance send out an assessor , they'll know the carpet will need to be replaced

It already stinks its a sort of burnt tyre, plastic, tar like smell very strange
Segata-Sanshiro9 m ago

It already stinks its a sort of burnt tyre, plastic, tar like smell very …It already stinks its a sort of burnt tyre, plastic, tar like smell very strange

Believe me it will get worse. It will smell like a cross between a rank dishcloth and a dead horse. Nothing takes the smell out.
Oh my Gandalf read that this morning thought you were just a bit bored !

all the best to you error and your little man 💜
Segata-Sanshiro14 m ago

Yes, I've been trying to find out about landlords obligations and the …Yes, I've been trying to find out about landlords obligations and the council but I can't find a circumstance listed that matches they hired a incompetent baboon with a blowtouch to set fire to the roof. Its all just a no ones fault, the Tennant's fault, an act of god or due to landlords neglect of the property.

I would say that would be the incompetent baboon's insurance that should pay. They should have public liability cover if it can be proved it was their fault. Fire brigade should know what started the fire.
psychobitchfromhell33 m ago

I would say that would be the incompetent baboon's insurance that should …I would say that would be the incompetent baboon's insurance that should pay. They should have public liability cover if it can be proved it was their fault. Fire brigade should know what started the fire.

I told em there was a baboon on the roof with a blowtorch earlier refelting or something, they said there was a police investigation as they suspected arson on the roof.
Regardless of who's liable, ultimately it was the Tories' fault.
Rubisco4 h, 46 m ago

Regardless of who's liable, ultimately it was the Tories' fault.

Brexit.
Eastern European workers gone, Company was left with the choice of a Brit or a baboon.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 14th Jan
33058065-NnIEa.jpg

Were mods involved in the timeshift? :-)
Yes the time is when its up not when its entered into the site
Well we are in my parents hoarder home, i asked my ex if we could stay at his bedsit next weekend just for a break and he said no he's working next weekend, such a nice man, so he offered us his floor to sleep on Friday because he was off work when it happened. I don't see the connection between him working at a shop job until 8pm and us being in his room but i learned long ago not to even bother arguing with his irrationality.

He also says its the landlords responsibility to house me and i should stop paying rent until he does, and that if they have to put heaters in the flat to dry it out i should make sure its not going on my electric bill, make sure he pays me to cover it etc.

How you gonna dry out a home so you can check if the electrics and all that are safe if the heaters are using the electric which is currently off because its unsafe. Again no point saying anything.

So strike him off the list, claimed he did care at the time, clearly having a mood swing\ change of heart again, as useful as a chocolate teapot.

We slept in this last night
33058572-7NpTu.jpg
Its THE bed, 4 people take it in turns, to sleep on it throughout the day.

Although i don't sleep much and don't really want to go back to that place because I'm scared now anyway.

33058572-q2XOH.jpg
Segata-Sanshiro3 h, 2 m ago

Well we are in my parents hoarder home, i asked my ex if we could stay at …Well we are in my parents hoarder home, i asked my ex if we could stay at his bedsit next weekend just for a break and he said no he's working next weekend, such a nice man, so he offered us his floor to sleep on Friday because he was off work when it happened. I don't see the connection between him working at a shop job until 8pm and us being in his room but i learned long ago not to even bother arguing with his irrationality.He also says its the landlords responsibility to house me and i should stop paying rent until he does, and that if they have to put heaters in the flat to dry it out i should make sure its not going on my electric bill, make sure he pays me to cover it etc.How you gonna dry out a home so you can check if the electrics and all that are safe if the heaters are using the electric which is currently off because its unsafe. Again no point saying anything.So strike him off the list, claimed he did care at the time, clearly having a mood swing\ change of heart again, as useful as a chocolate teapot.We slept in this last night[Image] Its THE bed, 4 people take it in turns, to sleep on it throughout the day.Although i don't sleep much and don't really want to go back to that place because I'm scared now anyway.[Image]

I'm unsure what responsibilities are actually down to the landlord. It's not exactly his/her fault. I don't believe the landlord has to have buildings insurance unless stipulated by a mortgage lender. The landlord does need to ensure the property is safe (electrical/gas/health etc), but I would have thought you will be dealing with timeframes here. What is considered a reasonable time to get the property in a liveable condition is a tricky one at best.

Not paying the rent is not a good idea. You want the landlord to be your friend not your enemy. If you were a homeowner you could not stop paying the mortgage and the cost of electric is a non issue here.

Have you had communication with the landlord?

Have you made communication with the local authority You need to be positive here. It looks like you have been made unintentionally homeless, and that should be their responsibility. The bit I don't know is will they class you sharing a bed in the manner you describe as being homeless. I believe there are many people that have entered the UK they live like you are now on a permanent basis, but hey ho it's supposedly good for UK plc.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 14th Jan
OllieSt6 h, 47 m ago

I'm unsure what responsibilities are actually down to the landlord. It's …I'm unsure what responsibilities are actually down to the landlord. It's not exactly his/her fault. I don't believe the landlord has to have buildings insurance unless stipulated by a mortgage lender. The landlord does need to ensure the property is safe (electrical/gas/health etc), but I would have thought you will be dealing with timeframes here. What is considered a reasonable time to get the property in a liveable condition is a tricky one at best. Not paying the rent is not a good idea. You want the landlord to be your friend not your enemy. If you were a homeowner you could not stop paying the mortgage and the cost of electric is a non issue here. Have you had communication with the landlord?Have you made communication with the local authority You need to be positive here. It looks like you have been made unintentionally homeless, and that should be their responsibility. The bit I don't know is will they class you sharing a bed in the manner you describe as being homeless. I believe there are many people that have entered the UK they live like you are now on a permanent basis, but hey ho it's supposedly good for UK plc.

Ive spoken to the management company\landlord on the phone and several of their employees, i was talking to one today, he was putting tarpaulin on the roof while i was going Thu boxes in the cupboard seeing what was ruined, he asked to come in and take photos for the landlord as he noticed my door was open, he said that a investigator is coming next week.

Theres no idea about a timeframe yet or anything else hopefully things get moving monday.

Theres not that much damage to my stuff at the moment, electronic things are not too bad just damp except the router dismantling and drying should be all a lot need, whats pissed me off is i stored collectors items in the cupboard, the box for my ecto 1 lego is ruined, my ni no kuni, my tales of Symphonia collectors edition i stuffed the novel and that, and the art book for the fire emblem, also my zelda monopoly.

I have rescued a couple of swords that are rust damaged I'm hoping it can be repaired at least a bit.
Oh btw if you don't pay your rent you are in breach of your tenancy so regardless of anything, you can't hold them up to there end of the bargain if you don't hold yours. I know that but my ex is always quick to anger and getting back sort of thing without thinking
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 9 m ago

Oh btw if you don't pay your rent you are in breach of your tenancy so …Oh btw if you don't pay your rent you are in breach of your tenancy so regardless of anything, you can't hold them up to there end of the bargain if you don't hold yours. I know that but my ex is always quick to anger and getting back sort of thing without thinking

Tell me to mind my own business, but you ex has quite clearly got nothing constructive to add to your situation.

If he can't get past helping you at the same time as helping his son then don't waste your energy in that direction.
OllieSt8 m ago

Tell me to mind my own business, but you ex has quite clearly got nothing …Tell me to mind my own business, but you ex has quite clearly got nothing constructive to add to your situation. If he can't get past helping you at the same time as helping his son then don't waste your energy in that direction.

I will but the trick is to have no expectations, sometimes they get a wake up call he used to be nice, he's just getting worse he looks like a dosser now and he's drinking. He can help me move stuff in the flat, he has been doing so might wake him up and i sent him the pictures of the fire.

I don't believe that things happen without reason
Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 20 m ago

I will but the trick is to have no expectations, sometimes they get a wake …I will but the trick is to have no expectations, sometimes they get a wake up call he used to be nice, he's just getting worse he looks like a dosser now and he's drinking. He can help me move stuff in the flat, he has been doing so might wake him up and i sent him the pictures of the fire.I don't believe that things happen without reason

You need to walk away from him. He's clearly a loser and the relationship has run its course. You owe it to your son to provide a safe and stable environment. He may be his dad but he isn't acting like it. Have two spare bedrooms but they might be a bit far north for your requirements.
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 54 m ago

You need to walk away from him. He's clearly a loser and the relationship …You need to walk away from him. He's clearly a loser and the relationship has run its course. You owe it to your son to provide a safe and stable environment. He may be his dad but he isn't acting like it. Have two spare bedrooms but they might be a bit far north for your requirements.

He's mental he needs to see it and get help, its so strange, he went off the rails after his father died, he fully understands what it feels like to have a parent be abusive and walk out, he knows what it did to his mother aswell, its like he's projecting it all so we get a repeat of his life to experience what he did, how can you know what your doing but be determined to bulldoze on regardless, especially when you've spent your life hating your dad and swearing to never be like him, he said he'd never treat me like his father treated his mother and he'd never be like him as a dad..... well from what I've heard he's doing his damnedest now to emulate him.

Thanks for the offer but I'm staying here for now, its 1 bus from here to get to his school, I'm going to phone em today obviously. Hopefully he doesn't have to go in.
Might be worth asking your insurance company if you can buy a de-humidifier and expense it on your insurance claim.

I did that when I had a small flood, was just a cheap thing from Argos but has proved to be a useful bit of kit.

Edited to add, might also be worth once the place is dried out to either buy or borrow a Ozone generator, its the only thing that will get rid of the remaining smell. but may need a few treatments to be totally clear.
Edited by: "DKLS" 15th Jan
OP, how is it going on your home front?
OllieSt15 m ago

OP, how is it going on your home front?

We are living in my parents hoarder home we take it in shifts there is 4 people sharing a folding bed, we have a cardboard box and a carrier bag for our belongings, the contents insurance guy came round two days ago and said he'd try to get us about 4k, i have written a list of damaged items and values as he asked to email to him and will be looking at storage places tomorrow, they will pay for the storage for two months and transport, I've no idea how long its going to take me to pack.

I have no timeframe for the flat, the builders haven't been there in days, they built a temporary cover over the roof last week and told me they'd been told to replace all the water tanks on the entire building but nothing going on there at all, the landlord has assured me everything will be sorted and they will check the new cracks to make sure its safe (theres 3 holes in the celing and 5 new cracks) i do not trust the landlord tho.

When we get back in there i will apply for council\HA housing lists
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions