Groups

Is Avatar one of the best films for many a year?

What an amazing film. Came away thinking we had experienced the future of entertainment. Was it good because it was the first to do the things it did or was it more? We loved it. Great link in next post.

27 Comments

Original Poster

havnt seen it, dont want to i think it looks **** :lol:

Original Poster

The story is pretty pants but the whole experience is amazing.

truthfully its the 3d that makes it imho-saw it in imax and was blown away,subsequently have watched the screener at home and when it all boils down to it,without the 3d its a very poor film.

the story has been done a million times before,script is cringeworthy in places,and its too long. I am sure there are many will disagree but if this film was only available in 2d I have a feeling many people would be dissapointed.

pushes the envelope for technology yes,but the idea it is worth an oscar is laughable.

saw a flippant review which described it as "dances with wolves in space" and while that was tongue in cheek its wholly accurate

I thought it was ok but nothing particularly great, while the CG was impressive the use out of it was so over the top that it just looked very fake most of the time which was a shame as the sections in the human camp with the CG vehicles did work well.

John

Banned

I didnt go so much on it, it was a bit like dances with wolves, just that the indians were blue instead

cant quite see the fuss myself, CGI is used so much, wonder why they bother with actors at all

Banned

barky;7841023

saw a flippant review which described it as "dances with wolves in space" … saw a flippant review which described it as "dances with wolves in space" and while that was tongue in cheek its wholly accurate

jubbyme;7841100

I didnt go so much on it, it was a bit like dances with wolves, just that … I didnt go so much on it, it was a bit like dances with wolves, just that the indians were blue instead

So which one was two dogs ****ing?:p

To me there was a political and social message within what is a fantasy story on a fantasy world done in awesome CGI and 3D.

I've watched it at home and intend on seeing in an iMax if I get the chance.

Original Poster

If you watch the clip I posted above you'll see that this CGI is different in that all the performances are acted 100% completely including all muscle expression and then captured and transferred to a computer model. I agree it's Dances with wolves and a lot of Cameron's previous Abyss but the way the 3D and CG works I think was technically awesome. It also shows that even in 40 or so year's time American foreign policy has learnt nothing from history!

Banned

kingy58;7841230

If you watch the clip I posted above you'll see that this CGI is … If you watch the clip I posted above you'll see that this CGI is different in that all the performances are acted 100% completely including all muscle expression and then captured and transferred to a computer model. I agree it's Dances with wolves and a lot of Cameron's previous Abyss but the way the 3D and CG works I think was technically awesome. It also shows that even in 40 or so year's time American foreign policy has learnt nothing from history!

LOL... I was expecting someone to pick up on the comment I'd made. I didn't think it would be quite so fast!

kingy58;7841230

If you watch the clip I posted above you'll see that this CGI is … If you watch the clip I posted above you'll see that this CGI is different in that all the performances are acted 100% completely including all muscle expression and then captured and transferred to a computer model. I agree it's Dances with wolves and a lot of Cameron's previous Abyss but the way the 3D and CG works I think was technically awesome. It also shows that even in 40 or so year's time American foreign policy has learnt nothing from history!

It doesn't matter technically how good it is, the implementation is poor - they went so over the top with the native sections of Pandora having to have bright colours and strobing effects with lots of pointless portions it just screamed CG. The sections with the humans and their equipment and the brief sequences with the humans and Navi together really showed off what could have been done but sadly wasn't.

John

kingy58;7841014

The story is pretty pants but the whole experience is amazing.

How can the best movie in years have a "pretty pants" story?, With the exception of CGI (which is excellent) it is nothing new. I'm no film expert but i would vote for "Hurt Locker" if given the choice an even that is only a good movie-nothing exceptional

3d fern gully/ dances with wolves. while the technology behind it gave something impressive to look at as a film/story it was in technical terms pap.

predictable boring and cliched the only oscars it should be near are the fx ones. it's a mockery that something like moon has not recieved the same reognition.

Banned

ants97;7841685

3d fern gully/ dances with wolves. while the technology behind it gave … 3d fern gully/ dances with wolves. while the technology behind it gave something impressive to look at as a film/story it was in technical terms pap. predictable boring and cliched the only oscars it should be near are the fx ones. it's a mockery that something like moon has not recieved the same reognition.

Whilst I can understand why you might think it was a pap story, I just can't see how Moon could be considered worthy of anything. I really hated it! How was moon a good story?

guv;7841803

Whilst I can understand why you might think it was a pap story, I just … Whilst I can understand why you might think it was a pap story, I just can't see how Moon could be considered worthy of anything. I really hated it! How was moon a good story?

it was highly original and thought provoking. not a re hash of fern gully.

Banned

ants97;7841835

it was highly original and thought provoking. not a re hash of fern gully.

Original, maybe. Thought provoking.... not for me.

Each to their own and all that, just had you down as someone who'd really like Avatar.

I thought Avatar was awesome

Superb film and a major leap forward from one of the greatest Directors of all time.

not my cup of tea, storyline was boring, only thing that was good was the CGI and 3D element but then that should have been amazing considering the size of the budget..... not one i shall watch again

micoo;7840984

havnt seen it, dont want to i think it looks **** :lol:

Agreed don't get the big hype tbh, looks rubbish. Everytime I watch something that someone recommends its crap....The notebook being a classic example.

It looks pretty but thats about it. Rip off pochahontas with a story with seen several times before and nothing much interensting. Most expensive film ever, waste of money to me then.

guv;7841169

So which one was two dogs ****ing?:pTo me there was a political and … So which one was two dogs ****ing?:pTo me there was a political and social message within what is a fantasy story on a fantasy world done in awesome CGI and 3D.I've watched it at home and intend on seeing in an iMax if I get the chance.

I agree with you i too saw a political link, Where sam worthington says something like,
    "IF THERE IS SOMEONE SITING ON SOMETHING YOU WANT, MAKE THEM YOUR ENEMY" kinda reminds me of a certain country with certain resourses that we a\ll depend on.

Also think movie was nothing special.

its not as good as titanic imo

guv;7841866

Original, maybe. Thought provoking.... not for me.Each to their own and … Original, maybe. Thought provoking.... not for me.Each to their own and all that, just had you down as someone who'd really like Avatar.

I wanted to really love it especially after cameron ruined all the good work he done with titanic. How a guy who made the terminators could put his name to that schmaltzy celine dione chick flick pukefest I'll never know and avatar is unfortunately just more of the same predictable dirge aimed at the masses.

I suppose the tech advances may make it a worthwhile adventure but as a film for me nope.

Banned

awful film imho. crap story and way too long. I hope this isnt the future for films where they just chuck millions at effects without engaging brain and concentrating on a decent plot first.

Banned

mikebike;7842257

Superb film and a major leap forward from one of the greatest Directors … Superb film and a major leap forward from one of the greatest Directors of all time.

LMAO - only 3 films made since 1992 "from one of the greatest Directors of all time"

true lies

titanic

:-D

csiman;7844112

LMAO - only 3 films made since 1992 "from one of the greatest Directors … LMAO - only 3 films made since 1992 "from one of the greatest Directors of all time"true liestitanicavatar:-D

Quality takes time and its my opinion and of course you are alowed to think what you like.

Banned

mikebike;7850157

Quality takes time and its my opinion and of course you are alowed to … Quality takes time and its my opinion and of course you are alowed to think what you like.

So you think titanic and true lies are some of the best films of all time? :w00t:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3211143
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764585
      3. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism1934
      4. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1022

See more discussions