Is Black Friday a big con!

Found 20th Nov 2017
Read article in newspaper that said prices during sales same or even higher than other times of year! Are we all getting duped?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Yes it's a con
We aren't all being duped
Wait, DfS are having a sale!?
44 Comments
Yes it's a con
We aren't all being duped
This has been known for years!
32482117-kVX8x.jpg
I think there may just be an increase in frequency of "sales" as at any time of year there are good and bad offers, likely a lot more bad ones around this time though because consumers are thought to spend more.

I have definitely seen a lot more cold deals this black friday though than a week ago for example, a lot of people seem to see game console bundles on sale and just focus on the word sale without comparing deals or looking at previous deals.
I have picks up a couple of games on sale in some places though, such as rainbow 6 on amazon was a decent price for the standard as well as a couple of backwards compatible 360 games on the live/gold sale - though most games on there are a small percentage discount, so not much of a sale as has been stated.
How dumb does a person have to be to buy something at a higher price just because it is black friday and the shop selling to them tells them it is their best price ever?
32482228-xgBKJ.jpg
CoeK4 m ago

How dumb does a person have to be to buy something at a higher price just …How dumb does a person have to be to buy something at a higher price just because it is black friday and the shop selling to them tells them it is their best price ever?

If you mix genuine deals with false ones, the customer will be so chuffed at getting a deal they will drop their guard for the additional items and are more like to buy none sale items too to treat themselves as they are already saving anyway.

Its like someone rewarding themselves with winning a marathon by eating cake, the finding a bargain is the win, the subsequent purchases are the reward
Segata-Sanshiro1 m ago

If you mix genuine deals with false ones, the customer will be so chuffed …If you mix genuine deals with false ones, the customer will be so chuffed at getting a deal they will drop their guard for the additional items and are more like to buy none sale items too to treat themselves as they are already saving anyway.Its like someone rewarding themselves with winning a marathon by eating cake, the finding a bargain is the win, the subsequent purchases are the reward

I'm going to shorten that to exceptionally dumb.
whitebook40 m ago

Shhhh, keep it down or they will all want to share my tent.
whitebook1 h, 28 m ago

Yeah. Your nearest branch is in your local retail centre next door to oak furniture land. If you strike it really really lucky, it may be that both are having sales this week.
Amazon sure is. Just add any item to your basket 2 weeks before and see the increase and then decrease
towards Black Friday.. and prices will be close to where they were when you started.
I do think we aren't all being duped but Yes it's a con.
A con is reserved for conman, conwoman and congenderunspecific. Amazon deals are : caveat emptor.
Difference is they collect all your anonymised personal data on you devices , crunch it through business analytics. The ultimate extremist objectives are to increase income, profit, customer satisfaction, destroy competition. The net is you as a whole parts with more money, this is not a con. Though you may struggle finding Amazon social justice business objectives. You can stop yourself buying from Amazon. The bigger they are the more they can do you.
Edited by: "splender" 20th Nov 2017
Black Friday has been good to me for items only ever sold as fixed price otherwise.
We're not only being punked by BlackFriday....We are being Blaupunkt'd
splender27 m ago

Black Friday has been good to me for items only ever sold as fixed price …Black Friday has been good to me for items only ever sold as fixed price otherwise.

Crystal-like clarity as ever.
The Which? data I think might be a bit misleading.

They seem to be going on data from last Black Friday and at times comparing to pricing after Black Friday.

For example the Argos example given where Argos claimed it was their lowest ever price only to then reduce it further later into the year.

Well that generally happens with electricals, and it could well be the case that they were price matching other retailers etc. It doesn't preclude it from being it's cheapest ever at that point in time.

There are of course a lot of deals that are over-hyped with inflated 'previous' pricing and they're right to say ignore the savings and look at the price.
Alot of deals are fake,but alot aren't, You just have to be savvy and know exactly what you want, know the standard prices and have an idea what kind of discounts you are aiming for. Don't do too much impulse buying.
You need to stop reading
It doesn't seem very good this year but google says Black friday is the 24th so hasn't happened yet.

Best advice is do your research and know the value of what you intend to purchase.
shabbird2 h, 43 m ago

Amazon sure is. Just add any item to your basket 2 weeks before and see …Amazon sure is. Just add any item to your basket 2 weeks before and see the increase and then decrease towards Black Friday.. and prices will be close to where they were when you started.

I just went to doddle to pick up my lego dragon, the lady there said shes chuffed as she's been watching a item for ages and just before black Friday it dropped to £12 so she got it, now black Friday is on its rocketed to £55.
What's the likelyhood cex will do anything for black friday, just looking at a cpu...
splatsplatsplat6 m ago

What's the likelyhood cex will do anything for black friday, just looking …What's the likelyhood cex will do anything for black friday, just looking at a cpu...

Non existent, as I don't think they've ever done a sale. Besides, buying a CPU from CEX? Brave.
stop the presses, priced fluctuate throughout the years with differing sale prices.
teddy15902 h, 46 m ago

Non existent, as I don't think they've ever done a sale. Besides, buying a …Non existent, as I don't think they've ever done a sale. Besides, buying a CPU from CEX? Brave.

At the very least it will fill your home with the smell of tramp urine as it heats up
Black Friday has never been good in the UK.

The most you save at best is ten or twenty quid.

There's a few items I always want, so I'm aware of the prices before, during and after and the savings aren't anything to go mad over.

Not complaining about a tenner or twenty quid off but the companies will tell you it's £50/100 off to create a frenzy over nothing.
I finally got a bargain. I am feeling quite pleased with myself right now basic hue bulbs for £5.82 each
CoeK10 h, 18 m ago

How dumb does a person have to be to buy something at a higher price just …How dumb does a person have to be to buy something at a higher price just because it is black friday and the shop selling to them tells them it is their best price ever?

I think dumb is a bit harsh. Some people just don't watch prices 7 days a week, or keep a shopping comparison engine in their brain like you, I or other members of this site. That doesn't necessarily make them dumb, they just have different interests.

If you not immediately aware of what something is worth, it's going to lead to more crap shopping decisions.
Shop around. Look at the price not the saving. Yes it's a con. Should stay in the states.
splatsplatsplat5 h, 7 m ago

What's the likelyhood cex will do anything for black friday, just looking …What's the likelyhood cex will do anything for black friday, just looking at a cpu...

They might have a wash?
Don't believe everything you read in The Sun
Some things are cheaper, mainly to drag you, the consumer into purchasing other products at the same time.

Just as the supermarkets do with their famous buy 3 get 1 free when previously the price would of been the same if you bought all 4 separately.
Gynx6 h, 36 m ago

The most you save at best is ten or twenty quid.

If the thing you are buying was only £20 in the first place, then £10 off is a great deal. If it's £20 off, then it's the deal of the century
MSK.11 h, 28 m ago

I think dumb is a bit harsh. Some people just don't watch prices 7 days a …I think dumb is a bit harsh. Some people just don't watch prices 7 days a week, or keep a shopping comparison engine in their brain like you, I or other members of this site. That doesn't necessarily make them dumb, they just have different interests.If you not immediately aware of what something is worth, it's going to lead to more crap shopping decisions.

I tend not to keep a price comparison engine in my brain, I just use Google. Unless people are from China of they have access to online shopping they also have access to Google.
Probably just a Brexit thing.
CoeK5 h, 21 m ago

I tend not to keep a price comparison engine in my brain, I just use …I tend not to keep a price comparison engine in my brain, I just use Google. Unless people are from China of they have access to online shopping they also have access to Google.

Then I'd wager you're not great at shopping either. Perhaps that's why you've only posted one deal?
MSK.18 m ago

Then I'd wager you're not great at shopping either. Perhaps that's why …Then I'd wager you're not great at shopping either. Perhaps that's why you've only posted one deal?

Graham?
I think most people have items in their head they want and they know how much they usually cost and what they are usually bundled with.... not matter how big and shiny a sign in a shop is if the item is more expensive than it was previous anyone half intelligent would be able to spot the lie and the misdirection...

I'd say at least 48% of the voting population could spot a massive shiny lie even if it was on the side of a bus... so they can cope with not being duped by some of the oldest tricks in retail..

Anyone falling for DFS style sales deserved to be duped.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions