Is Blu Ray the next Betamax?

My husband and I are wanting to get a DVD/HDD recorder but he's wanting one with Blu Ray (we have no BR dvd's at moment).

Is it worth getting a Blu Ray player or is it the next Betamax?

26 Comments

TBH Im holding off replacing my whole dvd collection with Blu Ray. Who knows "Gold-Ray" will be released. Im quite happy just watching fims in Sky HD and my current DVD collection.

Banned

has the OP just returned from a 2 year trip to Mars?

cbryanp;6817184

TBH Im holding off replacing my whole dvd collection with Blu Ray. Who … TBH Im holding off replacing my whole dvd collection with Blu Ray. Who knows "Gold-Ray" will be released. Im quite happy just watching fims in Sky HD and my current DVD collection.

it will more likely be Violet Ray if it is replaced by similar technology.

But yes HD DVD was the flop, Blu-Ray will be around for a while, although i dont believe it will 100% replace DVD for years.

awoodhall2003;6817211

it will more likely be Violet Ray if it is replaced by similar … it will more likely be Violet Ray if it is replaced by similar technology.But yes HD DVD was the flop, Blu-Ray will be around for a while, although i dont believe it will 100% replace DVD for years.

I was just playing with the name haven't a clue about that type of technology. :-D Is there actually a reason it is called blu-ray then?

http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/betamax_hddvd_converter.jpg

cbryanp;6817240

I was just playing with the name haven't a clue about that type of … I was just playing with the name haven't a clue about that type of technology. :-D Is there actually a reason it is called blu-ray then?

Uses a blue laser :thumbsup:

choc1969;6817265

]G.E. DVD Holographic Disc

The folks at General Electric have been working on a high-capacity optical storage format, and a recent leap forward looks promising for new discs with the capacity of 500GB, the equivalent of 100 standard DVDs.

Original Poster

csiman;6817187

has the OP just returned from a 2 year trip to Mars?

Nope, just not up with DVD technology:oops:

cbryanp;6817240

I was just playing with the name haven't a clue about that type of … I was just playing with the name haven't a clue about that type of technology. :-D Is there actually a reason it is called blu-ray then?

choc1969;6817265

Beat me too it! :thumbsup:
imortal;6817308

]G.E. DVD Holographic DiscThe folks at General Electric have been working … ]G.E. DVD Holographic DiscThe folks at General Electric have been working on a high-capacity optical storage format, and a recent leap forward looks promising for new discs with the capacity of 500GB, the equivalent of 100 standard DVDs.

Interesting but its whether the cost is acceptable to release to the public though as well.

minxx;6817318

Nope, just not up with DVD technology:oops:

am exactly the same minxx - so its nice to get these questions answered:)

think;6817253

I reckon that should play BR as well tbh. Like the model number ;-)

I only buy blu-rays of movies with a lot of good visuals otherwise it just isn't worth it.

have only seen one blu ray player recorder, the panasonc one around £799.
you're better getting a blu ray player AND a DVD/HDD recorder!

Original Poster

slackrat77;6817433

have only seen one blu ray player recorder, the panasonc one around … have only seen one blu ray player recorder, the panasonc one around £799.you're better getting a blu ray player AND a DVD/HDD recorder!

Or we could get a PS3 and DVD/HDD recorder, that way we can play games on the PS3 as my brother has loads of PS1/2 games:thumbsup:

sounds like a plan to me

Blue Ray will be superseeded by digital downloads, much like MP3's now dominate the music industry. Internet speeds and download limits need to improve first

Original Poster

loll1es;6817454

Blue Ray will be superseeded by digital downloads, much like MP3's now … Blue Ray will be superseeded by digital downloads, much like MP3's now dominate the music industry. Internet speeds and download limits need to improve first

I like the idea of storing all films digitally :thumbsup:, that way half the house wouldn't be taken up with DVD's!:x

minxx;6817483

I like the idea of storing all films digitally :thumbsup:, that way half … I like the idea of storing all films digitally :thumbsup:, that way half the house wouldn't be taken up with DVD's!:x

I already do that, only problem is storing the then useless physical item. Got a massive cupboard full of DVD's :roll:

minxx;6817441

Or we could get a PS3 and DVD/HDD recorder, that way we can play games on … Or we could get a PS3 and DVD/HDD recorder, that way we can play games on the PS3 as my brother has loads of PS1/2 games:thumbsup:

PS3 will only play PS1 games.

Not PS2 unless you buy a second hand 60GB with no warranty.

BR will be around for a good while, HDDVD was the one that got superseeded too quickly, the next "ray" i believe will be RedRay but currently that costs in the 10's of thousands but is defintely highER def with resolutions of like 4k

Shengis;6817571

I already do that, only problem is storing the then useless physical … I already do that, only problem is storing the then useless physical item. Got a massive cupboard full of DVD's :roll:

I find the problem is finding enough money to continually increase hard drive storage required! 2TB drives get pricey after a while

But I agree, although being an early adopter of the Blu-Ray format, it will soon be superseded by digital files. Would still encourage you to get a player though, even if its just an entry model. The improved picture quality is worth it

I find the problem is finding enough money to continually increase hard … I find the problem is finding enough money to continually increase hard drive storage required! 2TB drives get pricey after a while

tell me about it! I'm just about to buy a 4tb NAS to store mine on now that I have a HDMI HTPC under the telly each film takes up 4-5gig! I have a blu-ray drive in it but I'm starting to think that was a bit of a waste of money now.

03bintls;6817775

I find the problem is finding enough money to continually increase hard … I find the problem is finding enough money to continually increase hard drive storage required! 2TB drives get pricey after a while :(But I agree, although being an early adopter of the Blu-Ray format, it will soon be superseded by digital files. Would still encourage you to get a player though, even if its just an entry model. The improved picture quality is worth it

I've been getting 1.5TB drives lately from Scan. Around £70 a pop so not too bad.

the trend seems to be pay on demand bband digital to yr home, now whether they let you record it somehow is another matter...in trials I did long ago 760kbs seemed to be the optimum speed for real time movies, so getting close to that now with broadband (depends how many on at the same time on your particular exchange) so as comments so rightly say its down to price of storage/ perhaps we're moving away from the idea of having your own dvds etc, Ive a pile of vtapes in my hall now, make a pound each at car boots. perhaps it'll get down to pence per view on older films. Mind you some people just like collecting! I expect blue ray plyrs to drop after christmas..

Original Poster

t0mm;6817598

PS3 will only play PS1 games.Not PS2 unless you buy a second hand 60GB … PS3 will only play PS1 games.Not PS2 unless you buy a second hand 60GB with no warranty.

Didn't know that, found a bit more info about here. Depends on model bought:
]http//vi…mes
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …211604
    2. Best advert ever to be seen.88
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread416614118
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523435

See more discussions