Is BT infinity 52MB Ultd any good?

Hi, i am fedup with Virgin Media peaktime speed issues, usually getting 1-5mb due to high utilisation in my area. I can see some good deals from BT, but i have few questions from anyone with BT. Thanks in advance.

1- Do they have speed issues on peak time? BT seems to providing average speed of 51MB in my area.

2- Do i need to pay any phone line activation charges, while i switch phone line from VM to BT?

3- Customer services?

4- Do they provide static IP for fiber users or it will change on modem restart/ disconnection.

5- Any other providers recommandations else than Sky & VM please.

Thanks.

19 Comments

I can answer the first 3 from my personal experience.

I have no speed issues at peak times. I regularly have around 40mb whatever the time.

I didn't pay an activation charge when I switched.

Customer service was great for me, but I haven't had any major issues to deal with.

Original Poster

thearbiter65

I can answer the first 3 from my personal experience.I have no speed … I can answer the first 3 from my personal experience.I have no speed issues at peak times. I regularly have around 40mb whatever the time.I didn't pay an activation charge when I switched.Customer service was great for me, but I haven't had any major issues to deal with.

​Thank you thearbiter65.

Ours went live last week, we were on Talktalk's 40 down 2 up package and had never had a problem. The router is syncing with BT at 55mbps and here's a speedtest. All seems to be working fine with no noticeable difference apart from the faster speed.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5540768477.png

Original Poster

thearbiter65

I can answer the first 3 from my personal experience.I have no speed … I can answer the first 3 from my personal experience.I have no speed issues at peak times. I regularly have around 40mb whatever the time.I didn't pay an activation charge when I switched.Customer service was great for me, but I haven't had any major issues to deal with.

​When you switched, is 40mb was the average speed told by BT customer services?

Static IP - no - only BT business tariffs have that option

Original Poster

Thank you all for valuable responses.

My experience with BT is they are absolutely shocking, I had the package you are looking it and it cost £49 to activate infinity and £6-7 for router delivery. I rarely got anywhere near the supposed mb's it always seemed restricted. I moved to SSE after a few months and they are awesome half the price per month compared to BT for 24mbps more I think and no costs for router or switching/activating miles better then BT

I had BT Infinity 1. Only went for the 38MB speed package as I'm not a heavy user.

Never head any issues with speed. In fact I always got the full speed.

I had to pay the £49.99 activation plus postage if £6.95.

Brilliant customer services. Had to speak to them a couple of times when I joined due activation date being changed. They offered me 2 months refund plus a refund for the 1 month I needed to get a mifi to use for a week. Always had updates via texts for any calls made to them.

Not sure about statistic ip

Competitors wise - I moved to SSE cos BT increased their line rental and I was allowed to leave for free. Plus I saved £16 a month on line rental plus got a decent deal on cashback. SSE do throttle at peak times, not a big user so doesn't bother tbh.

I would highly recommend BT though.

Hope that helps

Original Poster

afc4eva

My experience with BT is they are absolutely shocking, I had the package … My experience with BT is they are absolutely shocking, I had the package you are looking it and it cost £49 to activate infinity and £6-7 for router delivery. I rarely got anywhere near the supposed mb's it always seemed restricted. I moved to SSE after a few months and they are awesome half the price per month compared to BT for 24mbps more I think and no costs for router or switching/activating miles better then BT

​Thank you for sharing your experience. I have asked SSE and they told you that average speed i will get in my area is around 30MB on their 76mb package. So i am not considering them, speed can usually go further down.

Original Poster

hana3164

I had BT Infinity 1. Only went for the 38MB speed package as I'm not a … I had BT Infinity 1. Only went for the 38MB speed package as I'm not a heavy user. Never head any issues with speed. In fact I always got the full speed. I had to pay the £49.99 activation plus postage if £6.95. Brilliant customer services. Had to speak to them a couple of times when I joined due activation date being changed. They offered me 2 months refund plus a refund for the 1 month I needed to get a mifi to use for a week. Always had updates via texts for any calls made to them. Not sure about statistic ip Competitors wise - I moved to SSE cos BT increased their line rental and I was allowed to leave for free. Plus I saved £16 a month on line rental plus got a decent deal on cashback. SSE do throttle at peak times, not a big user so doesn't bother tbh. I would highly recommend BT though. Hope that helps

​Thank you.

1- Do they have speed issues on peak time? BT seems to providing average speed of 51MB in my area.
Not for me. I usually get full 75mbp/s all the time.
2- Do i need to pay any phone line activation charges, while i switch phone line from VM to BT?
Depends on the type of contract.
3- Customer services?
Some of them don't know what they're doing, but they're ok.
4- Do they provide static IP for fibre users or it will change on modem restart/ disconnection.
My IP changes each time I reboot my router.
5- Any other providers recommendations else than Sky & VM please.
Nope, I also had Virgin before, and now I prefer BT.

They take the biscuits. I had a 12 month contract at the £10 offer for broadband with them and I made one change to the talk package and ended up paying for the call feature plus £1 extra for the broadband as part of the annual price increase.

There is always plusnet. I had their fttc package a couple of years ago on the 80/20 line with unlimited downloads and never experienced any throttling.

There is always plusnet. I had their fttc package a couple of years ago on the 80/20 line with unlimited downloads and never experienced any throttling.

aaqeel

in my area.

this is the key question, we cant tell you what its going to be like in your area, you just have to wait and see as for customer service only one word to describe them as shocking. was a customer for 20 odd years never had a reason to call them and when I did couldn't believe how unhelpful they were didn't want to come out and fix anything until I had agreed to pay them in case the issue was on the phone itself even though we knew it wasn't and when they did fix it the issue started 2 days later. I always said I wouldn't give Virgin a penny after their previous incarnation called me a tight greed B when I called up to ask where a promised credit was but gave up on BT and went with them. Needed their help after installation with poor speeds, they couldn't do enough for us, though we don't live in an area that is over subscribed.

I can't fault the service from BT (I have the exact same package) but the lack of options for a static IP is the only thing that bugs me.

When I work from home, the router sometimes releases it's IP and grabs a new one which terminates my ever so fragile work VPN.

The schedule when it drops and re-obtains an IP is almost random, sometimes it's 2pm, other times 2am, sometimes 10am etc. I got into the habit of rebooting the router at night or in the morning as the IP lease lasts throughout my working day then.

Original Poster

eslick

this is the key question, we cant tell you what its going to be like in … this is the key question, we cant tell you what its going to be like in your area, you just have to wait and see as for customer service only one word to describe them as shocking. was a customer for 20 odd years never had a reason to call them and when I did couldn't believe how unhelpful they were didn't want to come out and fix anything until I had agreed to pay them in case the issue was on the phone itself even though we knew it wasn't and when they did fix it the issue started 2 days later. I always said I wouldn't give Virgin a penny after their previous incarnation called me a tight greed B when I called up to ask where a promised credit was but gave up on BT and went with them. Needed their help after installation with poor speeds, they couldn't do enough for us, though we don't live in an area that is over subscribed.

​I am having issue from last December when VM started upgrading their network but from last month, it gone worse. VM Customer services keep extending dates to fix issues in my area.

I migrated away from VM from their 200MB to BT Infinity 2 last month. It's like night and day. The VM speedtest was not consistent but up and down consistently. With BT, I have a consistent speed and the increase on the upload is very useful.

I didn't have an active phone line before migrating to BT - this was all done FOC. Only upfront cost was the p&p for the router (which went on eBay). I'm using my own Asus router with the 'old' Openreach HG612 modem which works great.

Don't notice the 'reduction' in speed from VM at all - very happy so far with the speed and the fact it doesn't take a dive through the floor at peak times like my VM connection did.
Edited by: "redbutcher" 15th Aug 2016

aaqeel

​Thank you for sharing your experience. I have asked SSE and they told y … ​Thank you for sharing your experience. I have asked SSE and they told you that average speed i will get in my area is around 30MB on their 76mb package. So i am not considering them, speed can usually go further down.

That's a shame as they are a great price but looks like there are people that have got on well with BT maybe you can use the price and extra mb's from SSE to haggle with BT and get a better price
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just got Kodi now what?1125
    2. Which Smart Watch for Running?11
    3. Iptv33
    4. Boiler Question22

See more discussions