Is choosing a Huawei Mate 20 Pro screen protector that difficult?

Posted 4th Oct
There's probably an influx of new Mate 20 Pro owners this month
But my first attempt at choosing a screen protector failed. The sides don't really stick to the curves and swiping from top or bottom has become problematic.

I don't want to start buying replacements willy nilly so any recommendations what you like using on your Mate 20?

I got this one originally
ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Huawei-P20-P30-Pro-Lite-Mate-20-P-Smart-Tempered-Glass-Full-Screen-Protector/233345253675
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
I bought stupid amounts of screen protectors, all useless, in the end I bought a 360 case with front & rear glass & it's amazing, I'll find the ebay item number now...
153618534176 it doesn't make the phone too bulky either.
bp241104/10/2019 14:59

153618534176 it doesn't make the phone too bulky either.

Omg I actually have that same one in my watchlist! So you haven't stuck a film type protector underneath this case?
bp241104/10/2019 14:55

I bought stupid amounts of screen protectors, all useless

Precisely what I'm wanting to avoid
i purchased a 360 case ... fingerprint sensor doesn't work... does the fingerprint scanner work on the 153618534176
darsuke04/10/2019 15:14

Omg I actually have that same one in my watchlist! So you haven't stuck a …Omg I actually have that same one in my watchlist! So you haven't stuck a film type protector underneath this case?Precisely what I'm wanting to avoid

No protector at all, I did try it with one but the useless protector kept the case from closing properly.
h.s04/10/2019 15:56

i purchased a 360 case ... fingerprint sensor doesn't work... does the …i purchased a 360 case ... fingerprint sensor doesn't work... does the fingerprint scanner work on the 153618534176

It doesn't work as well as without a case / protector but it works.
bp241104/10/2019 16:13

No protector at all, I did try it with one but the useless protector kept …No protector at all, I did try it with one but the useless protector kept the case from closing properly.

How decent is the magnetic strength and did you notice if swiping top/bottom has lost it's edge than with a naked phone?
Really strong, the only noticeable difference is the fingerprint sensor sometimes needs more pressure.
Do you find you have to press a little on screen even without a protector?
I only use the case for work, at home I use it without a case or protector and I have to press the fingerprint sensor very lightly.
h.s04/10/2019 16:23

Do you find you have to press a little on screen even without a protector?

The protector I linked in the op (crap btw) needed firmer pushes to get the fingerprint sensor to work. Though the instructions say you should re-add your fingerprints. It also wouldn't accept touches at the very edge of the screen so useless for typing and swiping.

I couldn't get mine to fully stick to the phone though so perhaps user error
bp241104/10/2019 16:27

I only use the case for work, at home I use it without a case or protector …I only use the case for work, at home I use it without a case or protector and I have to press the fingerprint sensor very lightly.

So you strip off and go naked in the house
amazon.co.uk/MIN…HDQ

These are pretty decent, even come with a frame to line them up.
paulj4804/10/2019 16:54

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MINGUUK-Protector-Tempered-Hardness-Alignment/dp/B07WM27HDQThese are pretty decent, even come with a frame to line them up.

Looks exactly like I've got already. So you didn't suffer any downside using it?
darsuke04/10/2019 16:57

Looks exactly like I've got already. So you didn't suffer any downside …Looks exactly like I've got already. So you didn't suffer any downside using it?

no, it stuck first time and hasn't peeled from the edges. Only negative is I don't think the OLED screen looks as black and if you look at the screen from an angle you can see a rainbow/oilslick effect.
paulj4804/10/2019 17:01

no, it stuck first time and hasn't peeled from the edges. Only negative is …no, it stuck first time and hasn't peeled from the edges. Only negative is I don't think the OLED screen looks as black and if you look at the screen from an angle you can see a rainbow/oilslick effect.

Guess I haven't done it properly then. It was even 'unsticking' as you were using the phone.
darsuke04/10/2019 17:03

Guess I haven't done it properly then. It was even 'unsticking' as you …Guess I haven't done it properly then. It was even 'unsticking' as you were using the phone.

I have the same problem on my P30 Pro.
bozo00704/10/2019 19:01

I have the same problem on my P30 Pro.

Welcome to our club
I've had this phone since launch and never had a protector. Still looks like new a year later. More hassle than it's worth imo.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants