Is Die Hard a Christmas movie???

Posted 23rd Nov
As the title says, we always have the argument at work this time of year so wanted some other opinions...
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

55 Comments
Yes as it is Christmas in the film .. to watch it in Summer would make you long for Santa ..
Simple answer, no. Unless the main theme of the film is either about Christmas or the 'Christmas spirit' (giving, family etc), it isn't a Christmas film. Just because a film is set at a certain time of year, or incorporates elements of that time of year, doesn't mean that the films theme is about that.

E.G: Some Harry Potter films included something from Christmas time, but they're not considered Christmas films.
Yes
Aye
Definitely
keeganland23/11/2019 11:15

Simple answer, no. Unless the main theme of the film is either about …Simple answer, no. Unless the main theme of the film is either about Christmas or the 'Christmas spirit' (giving, family etc), it isn't a Christmas film. Just because a film is set at a certain time of year, or incorporates elements of that time of year, doesn't mean that the films theme is about that. E.G: Some Harry Potter films included something from Christmas time, but they're not considered Christmas films.

Isn’t he trying to get to his family at Christmas..
Bargainhead23/11/2019 11:25

Isn’t he trying to get to his family at Christmas..

But that isn't the main point of the film - it's about him saving a building full of hostages. Just because he was on his way to see his family at that time of year is simply a plot point, and not the main story.
If Die Hard is a Christmas film, so are the following:
L.A. Confidential
Batman Returns
You've Got Mail
Iron Man 3
@Bargainhead
"As the title says, we always have the argument at work this time of year so wanted some other opinions..."

We always have this discussion at this site around this time of the year too.
keeganland23/11/2019 11:32

If Die Hard is a Christmas film, so are the following:L.A. …If Die Hard is a Christmas film, so are the following:L.A. ConfidentialBatman ReturnsYou've Got MailIron Man 3

Awesome been looking for some more Christmas movies to watch with the kids...
Bargainhead23/11/2019 11:36

Awesome been looking for some more Christmas movies to watch with the …Awesome been looking for some more Christmas movies to watch with the kids...

IMHO, just use the words "Die Hard",

For Christmas, the atmosphere is not die hard, the atmosphere is to born, give birth.
Therefore, "Die Hard" is not a Christmas film.

We need to accept the results of these polls and votes before we do more referendums, votes, polls.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few polls and votes were done, maybe there are other polls?

According to a survey conducted by Morning Consult and The Hollywood Reporter, only 25 percent of American adults polled consider Die Hard to be a Christmas movie while 62 percent rubbished the idea. An altogether smaller group of 13 percent had no opinion whatsoever on the subject.

However, it’s arguable whether the poll has provided a definitive answer. Only 2,200 U.S. adults were polled, which can considered to be a fairly small sample size. (reports NME)

"Daily Express in 2017 survey:

Now YouGov have polled over 5000 UK adults with the question: “Do you think that Die Hard is a Christmas film?”

Just 30% voted Yes, while 52% voted No and 18% said they don’t know.

This followed an earlier YouGov poll which asked: “Do you consider a movie that takes place at Christmas time, but is not about Christmas itself, to be a Christmas movie?”

While 50% voted No in that one, even asking specifically about Die Hard in a follow-up poll wasn’t enough to see the film officially stamped as a Christmas movie.
Edited by: "splender" 23rd Nov
fanpages23/11/2019 11:35

@Bargainhead "As the title says, we always have the argument at work this …@Bargainhead "As the title says, we always have the argument at work this time of year so wanted some other opinions..."We always have this discussion at this site around this time of the year too.

So what’s your opinion yes or no??
Bargainhead23/11/2019 11:36

Awesome been looking for some more Christmas movies to watch with the …Awesome been looking for some more Christmas movies to watch with the kids...

Yippee yaaaaayaaaaaa
Yes 100%
fanpages23/11/2019 11:35

@Bargainhead "As the title says, we always have the argument at work this …@Bargainhead "As the title says, we always have the argument at work this time of year so wanted some other opinions..."We always have this discussion at this site around this time of the year too.

Bargainhead23/11/2019 11:38

So what’s your opinion yes or no??

[ empireonline.com/mov…es/ ]

39083967-hnUan.jpg
Waiting for follow-up thread...

"Is 'Die Hard 2' a Christmas movie?"

Clue: That story takes place on Christmas Eve (1990).
No
fanpages23/11/2019 11:51

Waiting for follow-up thread..."Is 'Die Hard 2' a Christmas movie?"Clue: …Waiting for follow-up thread..."Is 'Die Hard 2' a Christmas movie?"Clue: That story takes place on Christmas Eve (1990).

You should start that thread...
It's a film that is clearly set at Christmas and part of the plot is that John McClane wants to see his estranged wife at a Christmas Party.
Therefore I think it's pretty safe to say that as Christmas is an important theme in the movie then it can be considered a Christmas action movie. It's not a hard conclusion to come to.

youtube.com/wat…OQc

Edited by: "Haircut_100" 23rd Nov
splender23/11/2019 12:00

Die Hard x, an Easter film!

Don’t think I’ve seen that one...
Yes it is, thank you.
oooo yes it is!
Yes
And so is Gremlins

Home Alone is not though
keeganland23/11/2019 11:32

If Die Hard is a Christmas film, so are the following:L.A. …If Die Hard is a Christmas film, so are the following:L.A. ConfidentialBatman ReturnsYou've Got MailIron Man 3

Yup, so it's agreed its a Christmas film
keeganland23/11/2019 11:15

Simple answer, no. Unless the main theme of the film is either about …Simple answer, no. Unless the main theme of the film is either about Christmas or the 'Christmas spirit' (giving, family etc), it isn't a Christmas film. Just because a film is set at a certain time of year, or incorporates elements of that time of year, doesn't mean that the films theme is about that. E.G: Some Harry Potter films included something from Christmas time, but they're not considered Christmas films.

Tell that to my daughter, her only Christmas tradition is to watch all of the films at christmas - therefore it's a christmas film

Likewise mine is to watch all the extended editions of Lord of the Rings trilogy
Awesomeness-in-your-mouth23/11/2019 12:26

Tell that to my daughter, her only Christmas tradition is to watch all of …Tell that to my daughter, her only Christmas tradition is to watch all of the films at christmas - therefore it's a christmas film Likewise mine is to watch all the extended editions of Lord of the Rings trilogy

Yeah, Brexit is a Christmas activity.
Whoops, or is it a Christmas election?!

Christmas is Christmas, "no one knows what Christmas is", cliché.
Edited by: "splender" 23rd Nov
I don't think it ever was until this discussion came up about 3 years ago. I don't think it's a Christmas film although it's set around Christmas time. It's not a film about TV Dinners either, that's mentioned when he's in the air vent. One of my favourite films is "Go", it's set around Christmas time too but that's never been suggested as a Christmas film - it's not about Christmas.
Yes it is.

Nightmare before Christmas isn't though, that's a Halloween movie.
Why is this asked every year??
B0ne523/11/2019 13:46

Why is this asked every year??

Same as the 100 threads over the last few weeks shall I wait for Black Friday...
_Whatever_23/11/2019 13:54

Throwback to my question last year …Throwback to my question last year https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/is-die-hard-a-christmas-movie-3135309

I’d put money on someone asking next year it’s tradition. Plus new members different answers..
Bargainhead23/11/2019 13:57

I’d put money on someone asking next year it’s tradition. Plus new members …I’d put money on someone asking next year it’s tradition. Plus new members different answers..

Definitely always enjoy seeing people’s opinions on this. Proper divided
Bargainhead23/11/2019 13:56

Same as the 100 threads over the last few weeks shall I wait for Black …Same as the 100 threads over the last few weeks shall I wait for Black Friday...

To true.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants