Is drinking too much tea bad for you?

44 replies
Found 9th May
I am drinking more tea this year than I used to do. Now I get through 5 or 6 mugs a day, whereas I would struggle to get through 2 mugs last year. I don't drink sugar and I drink long life skimmed milk so sugar and fat content is not an issue.

But I wonder if this is too much tea? Will there be any side effect if I continue long term? I know too much coffee is bad for you, but what about tea, I recollect reading somewhere that unlike coffee, drinking tea is actually good for you? Also would drinking this much tea make my teeth stain?

May sound like a silly question as I have seen colleagues drink much more tea than this but I don't know if this is good for your health?

1. Ask
  2. Tea
  3. Drinks
44 Comments

Apart from peeing more there is nothing to worry about.

Tea is high in caffeine about 1/4 that of coffee.

It's not bad for you, it's not good for you, moderation yadda yadda
Edited by: "catbeans" 9th May

Is 6 a lot?
Not medically trained but apart from the slightly elevated caffeine in your body, doubt there are any ill effects. There are health benefits of tea, antioxidant etc. Peeing more is probably good for clearing out toxins from your body. Switch to a caffeine free tea? Red bush (titter) is nice, natural sweet flavour

Original Poster

japes

Is 6 a lot?Not medically trained but apart from the slightly elevated … Is 6 a lot?Not medically trained but apart from the slightly elevated caffeine in your body, doubt there are any ill effects. There are health benefits of tea, antioxidant etc. Peeing more is probably good for clearing out toxins from your body. Switch to a caffeine free tea? Red bush (titter) is nice, natural sweet flavour

if it is bad for me then i will reduce drinking the tea.

Research a few years ago said that drinking too much tea sends you senile.

What an attention seeking post.

Original Poster

marty-401

Research a few years ago said that drinking too much tea sends you senile.

this is the first time that i have heard this. did it say what content in the tea made people senile?

Ffs, Get a life

Seriously? Is this a troll question?

You don't mention if this is caffeinated or not - I believe some studies have shown that tea is a diuretic. It also has the potential to stain your teeth pretty badly...

Original Poster

Multieman

Seriously? Is this a troll question?

no. serious question. i know that drinking too much coffee is bad for you so i don't do it, but i do not know if this applies to tea as well as i will not drink so much tea if it is bad for my health.

i already consume a lot of stuff that is bad for my health which i can not give up so i don't want to take up another bad habit, but if it is fine then i don't need to reduce the intake.

Original Poster

Mermoo

You don't mention if this is caffeinated or not - I believe some studies … You don't mention if this is caffeinated or not - I believe some studies have shown that tea is a diuretic. It also has the potential to stain your teeth pretty badly...

I only drink tetley, which is caffeinated. is diuretic bad or good? wikipedia states it is used to treat certain medical conditions but what if you are healthy?

I heard drinking your own urine is good for you... Might be worth switching the tea for wee.

Original Poster

JohnnyRoller

I heard drinking your own urine is good for you... Might be worth … I heard drinking your own urine is good for you... Might be worth switching the tea for wee.

this is not true as your urine contains waste that the body wants to get rid of so drinking it again is illogical.

it also makes you more thirsty, not that i have ever tried to drink my own urine but i have been told this.

I drink 6 cups if green tea daily, try that

mutley1

this is not true as your urine contains waste that the body wants to get … this is not true as your urine contains waste that the body wants to get rid of so drinking it again is illogical.it also makes you more thirsty, not that i have ever tried to drink my own urine but i have been told this.

Ok, well at least it will save you money. This is HUKD after all.

Original Poster

Toon_army

I drink 6 cups if green tea daily, try that

i only like tetley tea. i am a bit odd with my food and drink as i will only eat and drink certain brands or i go without. i am not a snob, i just like very few things when it comes to food and drink and i would rather go without than switch to something else.

Tea IS a diuretic. Make sure you drink plenty of other fluids too. Just drinking tea on its own isn't great. But with other added fluids such as water and squash it would be fine. I can't see any problems with it.

oO oO oO

Original Poster

KGorman

Tea IS a diuretic. Make sure you drink plenty of other fluids too. Just … Tea IS a diuretic. Make sure you drink plenty of other fluids too. Just drinking tea on its own isn't great. But with other added fluids such as water and squash it would be fine. I can't see any problems with it.

i only drink tea and coffee and very little else so i guess i better reduce my tea intake. i thought tea was actually good for you, but doesn't sound that great from the replies.

mutley1

i only drink tea and coffee and very little else so i guess i better … i only drink tea and coffee and very little else so i guess i better reduce my tea intake. i thought tea was actually good for you, but doesn't sound that great from the replies.

​I don't think it's damaging but drinking only tea or coffee with have a dehydrating effect on the body. So try and up your other fluids too. Maybe try some fruit teas? Or put slice of lemon and ginger into a cup and pour over boiling water. That's a homemade tea which is really tasty and upping your fluid intake too..

I think it.s fine. I'm from a big tea drinking family and I think we have all drank in excess of 6 cups a day most days for decades/ Both my mom and dad are in their mid-eighties and have only had their hips go. I'd be surprised it the tea caused this.

Tea is a diuretic however the volume of water that is drank as part of it, disregards the effect. You are gaining fluid more than what is lost. I would not worry too much about that problem.

I drink tea by the pint (normal mugs are too small and I'd just need to go and make another straight away anyway), and I easily get through 4 or 5 a day, so your amount is not that high really!

your haemoglobin (the iron- containing protein in red blood cells that carry oxygen) or hematocrit (the measure of red blood cells found in whole blood). It is true that drinking a lot of tea can cause a drop in haemoglobin. The tannins in tea are the culprits – these are naturally occurring polyphenols (antioxidant compounds) that can give tea an astringent taste if it is brewed too long.

Tannins can lower haemoglobin because they block iron absorption. However, the effect of tea tannins on iron absorption seems to be limited to non-heme iron found in vegetables and grains, not heme iron from meat, fish and poultry. You’re unlikely to run into a problem with iron absorption or a drop in haemoglobin unless you’re a vegetarian who drinks a lot of tea.

My wife was always feeling dizzy a year ago with drinking too much tea each day for a few years until she saw her doctor and found out her haemoglobin level had dropped below normal.
Edited by: "fungst" 10th May

16+ cups is alot 6 i wouldn't worry about

I’m not sure if tea is bad for you though unlike coffee green tea is known to help with anxiety and stress.

Green tea is very high in something called L-theanine. It’s an amino acid, and what’s known from the research is that it actually helps improve your concentration, your focus and keeps you calm, so very good when you’re feeling anxious.

It’s also advised to keep yourself hydrated throughout the day, one reason why it’s recommended to drink plenty of water. Dehydration actually puts your body under stress, and what that means is more cortisol, the stress hormone, flowing through your body.

Mind you, it’s also known that Moa Zedong was actually very fond of green tea, his teeth were also known to have turned green from the amount of green tea he was known to have drunk.

I also read the following from bbc's website recently.

There is some evidence that tea can soothe your nerves: regular tea drinkers do tend to show a calmer physiological response to unsettling situations, compared to people drinking herbal infusions. Overall, people who drink three cups a day appear to have a 37% lower risk of depression than those who do not drink tea.

Tea drinkers, in contrast to coffee drinkers, had longer and more restful slumbers.

Along with red wine, coffee and tea are both known to turn our pearly whites a murky yellow and brown. But which is worse?

Most dentists seem to agree that tea’s natural pigments are more likely to stick to dental enamel than coffee’s – particularly if you use a mouthwash containing the common antiseptic chlorhexidine, which seems to attract and bind to the microscopic particles.

Verdict: If you want a perfect smile, coffee may be the lesser of two evils.

bbc.com/fut…you

Drink kefir milk when you get up in a morning was on trust me I'm a doctor in large Tesco £1.69p in polish isle

KGorman

Tea IS a diuretic. Make sure you drink plenty of other fluids too. Just … Tea IS a diuretic. Make sure you drink plenty of other fluids too. Just drinking tea on its own isn't great.

I have mine with water for this reason

Drinking 'too much' of anything is bad for you. But finding out how much 'too much' is probably the tricky part

mutley1

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I am drinking more tea this year than I used to … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09I am drinking more tea this year than I used to do. Now I get through 5 or 6 mugs a day, whereas I would struggle to get through 2 mugs last year. I don't drink sugar and I drink long life skimmed milk so sugar and fat content is not an issue.But I wonder if this is too much tea? Will there be any side effect if I continue long term? I know too much coffee is bad for you, but what about tea, I recollect reading somewhere that unlike coffee, drinking tea is actually good for you? Also would drinking this much tea make my teeth stain?May sound like a silly question as I have seen colleagues drink much more tea than this but I don't know if this is good for your health?\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09

Tea has natural Anti-Bacterial properties, however there is the trusted saying "Too much of anything is bad for you" 5 or 6 mugs shouldn't be an issue, especially without sugar. The biggest concern should probably be your caffeine intake as tea leaves do contain more caffeine than coffee beans

mutley1

i only like tetley tea. i am a bit odd with my food and drink as i will … i only like tetley tea. i am a bit odd with my food and drink as i will only eat and drink certain brands or i go without. i am not a snob, i just like very few things when it comes to food and drink and i would rather go without than switch to something else.

Tetley have probably the biggest selection of green tea, I work in Asda and buy a new one every time they come out lol

mutley1

i only like tetley tea. i am a bit odd with my food and drink as i will … i only like tetley tea. i am a bit odd with my food and drink as i will only eat and drink certain brands or i go without. i am not a snob, i just like very few things when it comes to food and drink and i would rather go without than switch to something else.

Good job you haven't tried a decent tea like twinings, you'd be having 10 cups a day like me!

Original Poster

KGorman

I don't think it's damaging but drinking only tea or coffee with have a … I don't think it's damaging but drinking only tea or coffee with have a dehydrating effect on the body. So try and up your other fluids too. Maybe try some fruit teas? Or put slice of lemon and ginger into a cup and pour over boiling water. That's a homemade tea which is really tasty and upping your fluid intake too..

i can't have lemon or ginger in my drink as i hate the taste and smell of these. i used to drink a lot of water last year but that has been exchanged for tea this year without much thought process from me so now that you have mentioned other fluids, i will make a conscious effort to drink more water again and reduce my tea in take.

Original Poster

Toon_army

Tetley have probably the biggest selection of green tea, I work in Asda … Tetley have probably the biggest selection of green tea, I work in Asda and buy a new one every time they come out lol

i used to drink pg tips but i found that tetley has a much stronger flavour and so pg tips tastes bland in comparison. it is good to hear that tetley contains high content of green tea.

Original Poster

Deaa

Good job you haven't tried a decent tea like twinings, you'd be having 10 … Good job you haven't tried a decent tea like twinings, you'd be having 10 cups a day like me!

i have tried this and finds it disgusting. even the smell of the tea alone makes me nauseous.

Deaa

Good job you haven't tried a decent tea like twinings, you'd be having 10 … Good job you haven't tried a decent tea like twinings, you'd be having 10 cups a day like me!

Got all them lol Fudge Melt, Salted Caramel etc if you seen my cupboard you'd understand how much I like green tea

xfaxfa

The biggest concern should probably be your caffeine intake as tea leaves … The biggest concern should probably be your caffeine intake as tea leaves do contain more caffeine than coffee beans

Yes, tea leaves do contain more caffeine than coffee beans though surprisingly it’s the other way round once they are brewed. Prepared, however, tea is diluted quite a bit more than most coffees. Each will vary depending on how strong you like it. The caffeine content in tea is also extracted during the first ten seconds of brewing apparently.

mutley1

Also would drinking this much tea make my teeth stain?

I remember also reading that a dash of milk added to tea can actually stops teeth becoming stained. Casein, the main protein in milk, binds the tanning and prevents staining according to a recent study.

As a side issue , how many people use a tea pot nowadays ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57581
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions