Expired

Is eBay becoming less popular?

Found 22nd Aug 2011
I've recently realised that once you take into account the 10% ebay fee, the 3.4% + 20p paypal fee, and then the postage costs plus the hassle of packaging stuff and sending it.....

Its just easier and almost the same value to trade in stuff for cash at CeX.

Anyone else cutting down on ebay use or is ebay continuing to grow?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
47 Comments

Yes, Ebay sucks.

The fees are going beyond a joke, paypal included.

oddballjamie

Yes, Ebay sucks.

^^ Summed up in 3 words

depends on what your selling, I have had a few items now that have been more hassle to sell on there than to throw in the bin. (apart from cats)

Yep, hate it now. As soon as they started forcing you to use certain postage charges and the fees went through the roof. Hopefully it will die a slow death and google will step in with a viable alternative.

However, in ebay's defence, you tend to make more money selling via ebay than free ads / gumtree method. I would rather sell an item for £100 via ebay and pay the crazy fees than sell it for £50 via gumtree / ebidder / local paper with no fees. As much as I hate ebay's fees, there is no alternative at the moment.

Banned

still great for buyers - crap for sellers

Banned

i still sell on ebay abit not as much as used to tho, as above said they force postage charges, so if i send a boxset i can only charge £1.25 postage even tho itl cost me £2.50 (example) so im out of money a little.

ebay is only good for rare items or scammers

Does any body remember QXL?

...or when Yahoo used to have an online auction with no charges whatsoever. ?

eBay is only good for buyers, as others have said, they are just too greedy.

Banned

HybridTheory

ebay is only good for rare items or scammers

Rubbish, I'm not a scammer nor do I sell rare items but make about a £500 a month from ebay.
The fees are high, but thats offset by the higher prices you get, I tried ebid for a while earlier in the year. On ebay I usually pull in about £1500 a month, can't remember the last time something didn't sell. Listed the exact same stuff as on ebay on ebid as a trial, over half didn't sell and the rest went for pretty much cost price. Think when I worked it out I made about £30. If you think ebay fees are bad you wnat to try selling on amazon!

Inactive

Does any body remember QXL?

yeah, I used to use them more than ebay. Used to like the way that if you had bids in the last few seconds the auction would extend by 30 seconds or whatever it was.

...or when Yahoo used to have an online auction with no charges … ...or when Yahoo used to have an online auction with no charges whatsoever. ?

yes, obviously that worked well

Look on facebook, most have local for sale groups that are free, we have at least half a dozen in our area.

Fees I don't have a problem with as they offer a place to sell goods that otherwise wouldnt exist, your market is anyone with a computer in the UK or globally.

The issues I have are terms and conditions, International postage offered by Royal Mail is a joke in it's cost and what it offers and Paypal is terrible.

There's a better way of doing things but needs a new player to step in, part eBay model with open market, part paypal with ease of paying but also needs some "lack of scamming" ability. Maybe if everyone had to put their real name as user ID and addresses were clearly displayed and mapped and pictures of before sending the item must be uploaded then a photo of the item received. Infact it's facebook with a selling/buying section, all the legit information is there already, having that would cut down on scams in one fell swoop.

Its the stars that killed it for me, there are just too many hoops to jump through being a seller and you can never get it right. So buyer takes 3 days to pay and its now a sat, cant post til monday so buy the time they get it its been a week, stars get marked down. You charge stamp price only but hey its still not cheap enough, stars get marked down. You describe the item as best you can and provide lots of pics, buyer says nice but doesnt suit, stars get marked down. etc etc

If you are a low volume seller then if you get one bad mark (1) it can ruin you. Its far to much hassle now that people expect everything free postage and their tomorrow, and ebay have been banning people with stars 4.7 and under. Yes 4 point freaking 7, its a quite good star, but hey not ebay standards - you just cant win.

Banned

I agree with the DSR's, they shouldn't be anonymous and you should be able to appeal against them.
They are going some way to fix some problems, soon you won't lose TRS if you just drop below the levels for 1 month, which is good, and sort of protects against one or two buyers giving you unjustified lows.

eloch.co.uk is an alternative but will probably fail.

Banned

Hissy Miss

http://www.eloch.co.uk is an alternative but will probably fail.

its only got about 200 listings as far as I can see!

Playtrade?

Wont be selling on ebay any more, the fees are ridiculous

colinsunderland

its only got about 200 listings as far as I can see!

yes, how many do you imagine ebay started with?

Ebay only interested in the big seller now.

Banned

eBay probably has less scammers now than the FS forum on this site!

EBay for low volume selling is just not feasible any more. If you sold a lot of goods, the low profit margin won't be much of a problem but if you are only selling one or two goods, its just not worth it. In recent years, the fees have got a bit ott, with advertising fees, final selling fees, paypal fees and posting fees (which are very rigid, sometimes forcing you to pay for delivery), there's just no profit left in selling on there. Not even mentioning the huge amount of scammers on there... The only reason its not dead is because it has no competition.

Banned

Hissy Miss

yes, how many do you imagine ebay started with?

no idea, but ebid has over 3 million listings and still isn't a decent competitor to ebay, if they can't cut it (and they can charge a one off £50 fee then completely free from fees), then I very much doubt anyone just starting up will have any hope. The only chance of any decent competition to ebay would be if someone like google or facebook started one up.

Just wondering, did you read the end of the sentence? The bit where I said it would probably fail?

Some people might like to try it though, give it a bit of support, I would if I could be arsed.

Banned

yes I did, but what was the point of mentioning it if you didn't think it had some chance?
There are loads of small uk auction sites, very easy to set up, some hosting accounts have a 'auction website builder' built in.
Wasn't meaning to start an argument with you - I was just pointing out that a little company like that has little to no chance of succeeding
Auction sites are probably one of the only types of websites that have no chance of winning

Banned

mumbojumbo

I've shut down my Paypal account, so that I'm never tempted to use Ebay … I've shut down my Paypal account, so that I'm never tempted to use Ebay again.Never looked at ebid - perhaps they need to revamp their image> Sounds too much like a fake clone of Ebay and the £50 upfront fee is going to put off a lot of small sellers who only want to sell one or two items.

There are different types of account, you don't have to pay the £50, you can just pay normal fees if you don't sell much (around 3% I think). However my experience (and others when I've looked about) suggest that the lower fees don't get anywhere close to offsetting the lower price you get when selling.

guv

eBay probably has less scammers now than the FS forum on this site!

Tell me about it. I have just been scammed.

Banned

I have sold 1 thing on there this year.

I sold 309 things in 2008 and I think the fees went up in 2009 and that is when it wasn't worth selling small items anymore because it was too expensive.

Royal Mail have also got greedy with their postage prices.

colinsunderland

yes I did, but what was the point of mentioning it if you didn't think it … yes I did, but what was the point of mentioning it if you didn't think it had some chance?There are loads of small uk auction sites, very easy to set up, some hosting accounts have a 'auction website builder' built in.Wasn't meaning to start an argument with you - I was just pointing out that a little company like that has little to no chance of succeeding :(Auction sites are probably one of the only types of websites that have no chance of winning

Do you really want me to explain why I posted the adddress? Are you really that obnoxious? Can you not see any context whatsoever?

Banned

Hissy Miss

Do you really want me to explain why I posted the adddress? Are you … Do you really want me to explain why I posted the adddress? Are you really that obnoxious? Can you not see any context whatsoever?

I have no idea what you are talking about, you gave some crappy auction site as an alternative to ebay, then got defensive when I pointed out it was crap and there were other much better alternatives out there.

LOL, okay, If that's how you see it we'll leave it there.

Banned

Hissy Miss

LOL, okay, If that's how you see it we'll leave it there.

ok

I obviously missed the point you were making, like I said I wasn't intending to start an argument about it

Adam2050

When someone told me this was the direction eBay were taking back in 2006 (getting rid of the small seller in favour of the big guys) I laughed at them....

mumbojumbo

^^Oh no. Spill the beans

Totally my fault as I was far too trusting. Purchased some boxsets and paid by BT, received a message the next day saying the boxsets had been stolen from their car and asking for my account details so they could refund. I was unhappy about giving my account details so sent 2 messages to HUKD asking for advice of how to proceed which unfortunately were not answered. This seller then tried to sell some more stuff so I reported them to a mod who has now banned them. I emptied a bank account I don't use very much and sent the details of it to the seller for a refund but so far no joy. Will report it to police and credit card company but do not have much hope and will certainly learn from it.

donaldduck2

Totally my fault as I was far too trusting. Purchased some boxsets and … Totally my fault as I was far too trusting. Purchased some boxsets and paid by BT, received a message the next day saying the boxsets had been stolen from their car and asking for my account details so they could refund. I was unhappy about giving my account details so sent 2 messages to HUKD asking for advice of how to proceed which unfortunately were not answered. This seller then tried to sell some more stuff so I reported them to a mod who has now banned them. I emptied a bank account I don't use very much and sent the details of it to the seller for a refund but so far no joy. Will report it to police and credit card company but do not have much hope and will certainly learn from it.

There's nothing wrong with giving an account number and sort code. You dont have to give anyone account name, card number or cvv.

Most deals on here involve bank transfer or paypal gift hence why people often ask to post first.

Banned

Adam2050

cant say I blame them judging by the FS section shenanigans on HUKD

too many idiots on this island

csiman

cant say I blame them judging by the FS section shenanigans on HUKD too … cant say I blame them judging by the FS section shenanigans on HUKD too many idiots on this island

In a way yeah true, but it's always unfortunate when people ruin it for the others.

I only sell there if I have too.

colinsunderland

ok :)I obviously missed the point you were making, like I said I wasn't … ok :)I obviously missed the point you were making, like I said I wasn't intending to start an argument about it

By questioning how many items you think ebay had for auction when they started out I was making the point that they too started out small.

I didn't really make any other points, just give information on an alternative to ebay.That's why I left it when you said you had "no idea what I was talking about."

With that level of understanding I felt like a bully. Any clearer?

ps, don't want to be too assuming here but it would help if you knew that alternative didn't mean carbon copy.

hissy miss ignore colinsunderland, look at his history such a troll and a clueless twitt

he is on most if not everyones ignore list

Banned

sedd33

hissy miss ignore colinsunderland, look at his history such a troll and a … hissy miss ignore colinsunderland, look at his history such a troll and a clueless twitthe is on most if not everyones ignore list

as opposed to trying to get anyone with a paypal or ebay problem ripped off you idiot?
You are the most bitter and twisted individual on here, trying to get others to lose money just because you are a crap seller and lost money yourself, as for telling people to look at my post history, lets hope they have the sense to look at yours too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions