Is Ebay search diabolical these days or am I doing something wrong?

Found 5th Aug 2016
I am looking for a guillotine yet when I type that into ebay I get loads (nearly all) of results without that word in their title. Have they dumbed down ebay search or have the hukd developers been implementing the infamous hukd search method into ebay?

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

Add words. guillotine cutter. guillotine paper. guillotine heavy duty. guillotine office. I know what your saying though.

they seem to have a 'guillotine' section so even when searching for exact term in title it brings up everything mislabelled for that section - could maybe add a min price of a tenner (or whatever you think is a likely min to filter the chaff)
edit: the 10quid filter shows 9.95,9.99 items also X)
Edited by: "brilly" 5th Aug 2016

Original Poster

wayners

Add words. guillotine cutter. guillotine paper. guillotine heavy duty. … Add words. guillotine cutter. guillotine paper. guillotine heavy duty. guillotine office. I know what your saying though.

that helps but I'm positive that previously what you typed in was what it searched for. Its just dumbing down to the masses to bring back every result that has words that I might have meant (e.g scissors). I just want guillotine results lol

Original Poster

brilly

they seem to have a 'guillotine' section so even when searching for exact … they seem to have a 'guillotine' section so even when searching for exact term in title it brings up everything mislabelled for that section - could maybe add a min price of a tenner (or whatever you think is a likely min to filter the chaff)edit: the 10quid filter shows 9.95,9.99 items also X)

thanks - found one for £8 delivered but its becoming a real pain actually finding relevant results when I know exactly what I want. Its as if they want to drive site activity up.......

As expected, probably get results with a typo. click me

chocci

that helps but I'm positive that previously what you typed in was what it … that helps but I'm positive that previously what you typed in was what it searched for. Its just dumbing down to the masses to bring back every result that has words that I might have meant (e.g scissors). I just want guillotine results lol

​I agree. It has changed over the years and got harder to find what you want. I do find amazon worse than eBay though

If you type in guillotine paper cutter then the results ate quite clear. I do UK only so had any 300 results and the second or third being a guillotine.

Don't forget you can put "-" before any results you don't want. What annoys me is those people who place the same add 200 times.

wayners

​I agree. It has changed over the years and got harder to find what you w … ​I agree. It has changed over the years and got harder to find what you want. I do find amazon worse than eBay though

​ That's for sure. Amazon search is useless. Always returns loads of irrelevant results and on top of that can't even manage to list them in order successfully.

Original Poster

shabbird

As expected, probably get results with a typo. click me

Great workaround but bizarre

chocci

Great workaround but bizarre

sadly, that is how I would have found it as thought guillotine has 1 'l'

Original Poster

shabbird

sadly, that is how I would have found it as thought guillotine has 1 'l'

Gullotine? oO

Original Poster

liamf12

Don't forget you can put "-" before any results you don't want. What … Don't forget you can put "-" before any results you don't want. What annoys me is those people who place the same add 200 times.

You used to be able to put + to enforce a word but that no longer works

You can also put words in brackets

E. G. (red, blue) usb

Should return only usb results with red OR blue in it

chocci

Gullotine? oO;)

lol I remember watching a tv show years ago about how 1 person became a millionaire just by looking for items in wrong category or spelling errors so items would be found only with typos. More advanced search this days

chocci

that helps but I'm positive that previously what you typed in was what it … that helps but I'm positive that previously what you typed in was what it searched for. Its just dumbing down to the masses to bring back every result that has words that I might have meant (e.g scissors). I just want guillotine results lol

No, people have listed scissors in the guillotine category and the search is showing everything in the category that exactly matches your search term.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition73821
    2. Win free gin for a year99
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines65
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk33

See more discussions