Is GTA suitable for young kids

Found 4th Aug 2017
Serious question guys, what's the content of GTA? I've never played it. Just banned my kid from going into one of his friend's houses who plays this game (age 9), did I over react?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

123batman32143 m ago

Absolute rubbish comments in this thread.

Yep, and unsurprisingly you don't disappoint...
23 Comments

In short, its not suitable for a 9yr old, but have a look for yourself ; gameplay walkthrough GTA5

No, it is not suitable.

Nope - it's a game of violence, pretty much a game of kill or be killed, but there is car and plane and boat racing on there.

The majority of players you come in to contact will try to kill you, there are realistic blood splotches, you can run people over in vehicles.

The problem is half of the players are actually kids.

In the story mode version there is a torture scene where you have to torture someone to get information, it's not a comfortable scene and I've seen a lot of things in real life.
I think it's supposed to be an 18 certificate.

No.

you really shouldnt play this until you are 18, the age rating is there for a reason.

Back when gta3 was current I played that when i was maybe half the age it suggests, in hindsight it was terrible. I had one parent who was truly abysmal at everything and it was because of them I was allowed to - this was the kind of parent that as a child I made the choice to stop seeing them as I didnt feel safe anymore, while I was still attending primary school.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, message confirmed that I made the right choice to stop my son going into that boys house. Appreciate all of your comments.

GTA is a game series that's been running for a couple of decades. The original ones (GTA 1 & 2) aren't particularly graphic. It's top-down cartoon violence and while it's been a while since I've played it I'd be very surprised if it was given it's original 18 certificate if re-rated these days. 15 or 12 would be more likely depending on what the classifiers thought of the bad language/morality.

The later ones (GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, GTA IV, GTA V) do get more graphic and unpleasant though.

100% no, unless you want them swearing and using the 'N' word at school.

Original Poster

Interesting RiverDragon8, thanks for mentioning that. I had spoken to the boy's mother last month about her kid using the N word and she was adamant that he never got it in their house, that's before I knew he was playing GTA. So glad I've stopped my son going into their house, unfortunately as they're in the same class at school I can't ban him altogether but at least my son doesn't copy him and his vile language.

I wouldn't say its vile language as such (it fits in with the story line of the game) but what they say can be quite funny, and a impressionable 9 yo might want to repeat what they've just heard. This is what I'm talking about click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 4th Aug 2017

Original Poster

I get what you're saying, a 9 year old calling other kids "you stupid N-word" comes across as vile and that's what this kid was saying. Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

It's nothing they won't hear on the streets or at school though, you know your child best and at 9yrs old they know right from wrong.

Absolute rubbish comments in this thread. Its just a game people will use the n word or the p word etc because they want to nothing to do with a game

But no your 9 yr old shouldnt be playing gta its an adult game with a lot of violence etc. But encourage them to use any bloody word they want too many oversensitive whingers in our country

123batman32143 m ago

Absolute rubbish comments in this thread.

RossD898 h, 47 m ago

It is true tho its always blamed on games or tv. When my mids misbehave i dont blame it on something theyve seen or played we take responsibility for it. But on the other hand a 9 yr old shouldnt b playing gta too much violence for that age

My friend recently bought an xbox360 with games from ebay for her autistic son. Not knowing gta she didn't realise the content. She got a call from school one day asking her to come collect her son because he had been telling the other kids "i'm gonna kill you motherf****r" which he revealed he had picked up from the game. So i would say no don't let you kids anywhere near this game.

123batman32113 h, 27 m ago

Absolute rubbish comments in this thread. Its just a game people will use …Absolute rubbish comments in this thread. Its just a game people will use the n word or the p word etc because they want to nothing to do with a game But no your 9 yr old shouldnt be playing gta its an adult game with a lot of violence etc. But encourage them to use any bloody word they want too many oversensitive whingers in our country

Adults will use offensive words if/when they want mostly with no impact from a computer game.

BUT, the fact you state a 9yr old shouldn't play GTA implies that you agree they are more susceptible to repeating offensive words without realising there meaning, thus potentially offending others.

As a responsible parent/adult it is our responsibility to ensure kids of that age are protected from offensive words until they are of an age/maturity to understand there meaning, to suggest encouraging 9yr olds 'to use any bloody word they want' is up there with the most stupid comment I've read on this forum.
Edited by: "andynicol" 5th Aug 2017

Original Poster

123batman32115 h, 21 m ago

Absolute rubbish comments in this thread. Its just a game people will use …Absolute rubbish comments in this thread. Its just a game people will use the n word or the p word etc because they want to nothing to do with a game But no your 9 yr old shouldnt be playing gta its an adult game with a lot of violence etc. But encourage them to use any bloody word they want too many oversensitive whingers in our country

So you're encouraging racism?!?!??! Thanks for taking the time to reply but with all due respect I'll ignore your advice.

Teezer37 m ago

So you're encouraging racism?!?!??! Thanks for taking the time to reply …So you're encouraging racism?!?!??! Thanks for taking the time to reply but with all due respect I'll ignore your advice.

Not at all for one im mixed race myself and i have worked with and for people from all over the world of all different races and never had a problem

From what i remember of the game theres not really racism in it but its been a long time since i played. Its full of violence though which is definitley not suitable for a child of that age.

If the child u mentioned is using offensive words etc then it shouldnt be blamed on the game but the person who allows him to play it its not made for kids.

There's also a strip club, with a VIP room, and the women will do 'favours' for you.

So yeah, really not a game for 9 year olds.

Yeah, don't allow him to play gta, just let him play call of duty instead

No, I don't believe it is sui

kim99735th Aug

My friend recently bought an xbox360 with games from ebay for her autistic …My friend recently bought an xbox360 with games from ebay for her autistic son. Not knowing gta she didn't realise the content. She got a call from school one day asking her to come collect her son because he had been telling the other kids "i'm gonna kill you motherf****r" which he revealed he had picked up from the game. So i would say no don't let you kids anywhere near this game.

This is funny on many levels
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions