Is gumtree safe to buy Nintendo switch

Posted 21st Oct
Hi bought Nintendo switch on gumtree , they said don’t have paypal and sent mebank transfer details. Is it safe am I covered?
gumtree.com/p/o…659 is item
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Do not do it
Gumtree is perfectly safe as long as you make sure you deal with them face to face, make sure whatever you're buying is as described when you go pick it up and make sure cash only. No need for PayPal it's not difficult to go to the local cashpoint and withdraw.
Cash on collection or Paypal goods and services only on Gumtree. I would be very wary of anyone who insists on bank transfer. You would have little chance of getting your money back if they didn't send the Switch.
40 Comments
Do not do it
Only collect
Why
Cash on collection or Paypal goods and services only on Gumtree. I would be very wary of anyone who insists on bank transfer. You would have little chance of getting your money back if they didn't send the Switch.
Gumtree Safe? I wouldn’t risk it.
Hilazing21/10/2019 14:57

Cash on collection or Paypal goods and services only on Gumtree. I would …Cash on collection or Paypal goods and services only on Gumtree. I would be very wary of anyone who insists on bank transfer. You would have little chance of getting your money back if they didn't send the Switch.

Even PayPal is dodgy when selling items. Cash for me only.
Gumtree is perfectly safe as long as you make sure you deal with them face to face, make sure whatever you're buying is as described when you go pick it up and make sure cash only. No need for PayPal it's not difficult to go to the local cashpoint and withdraw.
How likely is it scam % wise?? This one? I have agreed to buy it.
Robbie000021/10/2019 15:12

Cash only
Ask them if they would consider setting up a Paypal account, that's what I did. If they refuse then walk away.
No, you'll not have any buyer protection that way so if they're selling you a lemon, you'll have no recourse to get your money back, or your product if not sent.

Always go Card or PayPal, that way you've got a process you can follow to get something back.

Also, if you wait until Black Friday in a month you'll get a new one for buttons with games! That's what I'll be doing anyway, since it gives me a few more weeks to put a few more quid into the pot!!
Edited by: "MuramasaEdge" 21st Oct
as in old times, go to see stuff working, inspect it, then hand over cash and go home
Can you ring bank put on hold till get console

At least 51% likely its a scam. If its from a city like Bradford, blackburn, luton, manchester, london, nottingham that rises to 100%

As above, do cash only and demand to see it working first. Don't ago alone as chances are you'll be stabbed if it is london or manchester.
Edited by: "jaydeeuk1" 21st Oct
Robbie000021/10/2019 15:20

Can you ring bank put on hold till get console

????

I'm guessing the answer would be no, if it made sense.
jaydeeuk121/10/2019 15:20

At least 51% likely its a scam. If its from a city like Bradford, …At least 51% likely its a scam. If its from a city like Bradford, blackburn, luton, manchester, london, nottingham that rises to 100%As above, do cash only and demand to see it working first. Don't ago alone as chances are you'll be stabbed if it is london or manchester.

I wanted to deny your comment so much but the more I think about it, the more I agree with you, unfortunately.
Have to agree with the others i would not risk it.

a nearly new console like that gets around 160-180 at CEX so why they selling for less on gumtree..

saying that could well be legit but i would go see it and pay in cash to be sure.

New account,
Female name (to try and instil truthfulness - much like "one female owner" on car ads),
Only one ad,
Massive discount,
Manchester...
I'd pay with PayPal/bank transfer once I have viewed it with friends and the item is in my hands.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 22nd Oct
dickypreston21/10/2019 15:40

Have to agree with the others i would not risk it.a nearly new console …Have to agree with the others i would not risk it.a nearly new console like that gets around 160-180 at CEX so why they selling for less on gumtree.. saying that could well be legit but i would go see it and pay in cash to be sure.

£145 on cex, I just checked
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 22nd Oct
Girl phoned me I'm leaving out for work in 10mins if you don't want I can send someone else. So said out of house send when get back said ok no worries what u think?
This has been covered SO many times on here so I have nothing to add to what has been said a million times before. There are NO guarantees when it comes to Gumtree. This is why it's more common to pay "Cash on collection" as at least you have a face, maybe a true name, an address and more importantly an item you can see in the flesh and possibly test on-site before parting with money - especially the amount you are mentioning.

There are things I don't trust with the listing you provided but the fact they put a telephone number on the post is a major one. They are either very daft or know that it doesn't matter as it is a 'burner' number. The idea here is that you will NEVER see the item you paid for.

My instinct here is to tell you to definitely avoid this one. Move on and feel happy you didn't join the ever-increasing list of scam victims on here and every other forum. Make the right decision...

Best regards, Phsy.
Robbie000021/10/2019 15:54

Girl phoned me I'm leaving out for work in 10mins if you don't want I can …Girl phoned me I'm leaving out for work in 10mins if you don't want I can send someone else. So said out of house send when get back said ok no worries what u think?

I don't really understand your post/message correctly but if 'she' is trying to pressure you into making a payment to secure the item - or else she'll sell it to someone else, then the alarm bell has just soundly rung!

I can only suggest to you that you feel no pressure, no remorse or no guilt in telling this person to politely "Jog on" as it is prime scam material. I know you'd like a new games console but that's it - it's just a "thing" and could you not wait for a local one to become available rather than be disappointed and lose your money?

Think hard Robbie0000...
Think about it:

You are basically authorising your bank to transfer your money to a person you don't know or ever met with no eay of getting it ever back.
Why would you do that?
id make sure its turned on and working before handing over any cash or sending any payment
jaydeeuk121/10/2019 15:20

At least 51% likely its a scam. If its from a city like Bradford, …At least 51% likely its a scam. If its from a city like Bradford, blackburn, luton, manchester, london, nottingham that rises to 100%As above, do cash only and demand to see it working first. Don't ago alone as chances are you'll be stabbed if it is london or manchester.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Rotherham, Rochdale, Oldham etc....
Robbie000021/10/2019 15:54

Girl phoned me I'm leaving out for work in 10mins if you don't want I can …Girl phoned me I'm leaving out for work in 10mins if you don't want I can send someone else. So said out of house send when get back said ok no worries what u think?

To directly answer your question: no, as a buyer using bank transfer as payment you have zero protection.
Doesn't matter if you send the bank transfer now, in 10 minutes time or 5 minutes ago, you have no protection.
Your question is answered.
Your choice to proceed with no protection.
Robbie000021/10/2019 15:20

Hi bought Nintendo switch on gumtree... Can you ring bank put on hold till …Hi bought Nintendo switch on gumtree... Can you ring bank put on hold till get console

"Bought"? So you have already sent the bank transfer? Contact your bank immediately to notify your concern of possible (repeat: possible, although likely probable) issue. It is unlikely the bank can recover the payment but if the bank does not respond appropriately to your prompt notification of concern you may be able to suggest at some future stage that the bank has somehow failed in its duty of care.
Have some friends call the seller to see if the console can still be purchased; you may find the same (non)console can be bought many, many times...
MadeDixonsCry21/10/2019 15:41

£145 on Gumtree, I just checked

Yes I meant they could sell that console for more at CEX so suspecious they selling for less on gumtree..
I’ll buy from flubit instead if dodgy. Always open to get refurbished one if second hand - for a bad price - If do receive one or face to face purchase anyway.
Bought one on ebay because if buyer protection , there was one with hinge broken on dock but state makes no difference is this correct?? Was 232 with two games so good saving

99 percent scam.
Robbie000021/10/2019 22:14

Bought one on ebay because if buyer protection , there was one with hinge …Bought one on ebay because if buyer protection , there was one with hinge broken on dock but state makes no difference is this correct?? Was 232 with two games so good saving

Why would you pay so much for something that is broken?
dickypreston21/10/2019 18:02

Yes I meant they could sell that console for more at CEX so suspecious …Yes I meant they could sell that console for more at CEX so suspecious they selling for less on gumtree..

Sorry, I meant cex. So sorry.
If they have used pirate games it could be banned online.
I sell a few bits and bobs but never use Gumtree anymore, it's seems to be a cesspit of scammers hiding behind mobile numbers. If I was selling I would often get texts from peeps saying they couldn't text as they were at work (!) and asking for an email address. They would then send me a link to a phishing site that looked like GT. Easy enough to spot but maybe not for some.

For cash deals I use shpock and facebook as at least they have some sort of profile and feedback that you can checkout unlike GT. I would 100% avoid this deal.
spyro12321/10/2019 23:40

Wondering if this is a backup account and Mutley has forgot to switch lol
spyro12321/10/2019 23:40

It's a real "head scratcher" isn't it? With very hard to understand posts, I began to wonder if this was a 'joke' post. I think both AndyRoyd, I and many others were struggling to work out if something HAD actually been bought or just requested, paid for, to be posted OR collected - phew, colour me confused! Hehe.

I guess at the end of the day, if OP is genuine then at least they bought through Ebay so should be covered IF the console isn't as described - so therefore in a better situation than the original one eh? I'd be more concerned about how the console got damaged - i.e. dropped and perhaps damaged something internally? Oh well...

I hope you are very happy with your new aquisition Robbie0000.
It was considerably cheaper, when you factor in games included because of slightly broken hinge, makes little difference to functionality of machine also.
It’s hinge on dock for console not on console itself. I can buy more games with the saving made.
Robbie000022/10/2019 11:32

It’s hinge on dock for console not on console itself. I can buy more games …It’s hinge on dock for console not on console itself. I can buy more games with the saving made.

Hi Robbie0000. Just make sure you test every aspect of the unit thoroughly when you receive it as you would have grounds to return it if something else doesn't function correctly which they failed to mention in the listing.

Apart from that, I hope you enjoy your new games machine and well done for avoiding the Gumtree one. You can never know for certain but it sounded too good to be true so you may well have dodged a bullet, so-to-speak!

All the best, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants