Expired

Is Hola Better Internet safe?

Found 2nd Oct 2014
I've seen that Hola Better Internet - a plugin for Chrome is being recommended a lot lately.
It certainly works but what are the security implications of using it?
Is there a computer somewhere in Mexico logging all your clicks / credit card details?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
It's closed source meaning people cant see what's going on in the background to know if they are doing anything unsafe with the extension when active such as sniffing in what you are using it for. However, there are millions of users of the app at this stage and I've not seen any indication that they are taking credit card data etc, Certainly given the nature of the service, I would not be surprised if they were logging browsing history of users, where they go and what they do but I feel this would be more for the improvement of the extension.

I have the extension installed but I don't use it for anything other than getting around region locks for streaming services and the very rare purchase of some bundle games that are region locked.

businessinsider.com/can…4-1
Edited by: "Astec123" 2nd Oct 2014
If you are using Chrome , then google are monitoring your every move anyway.
Seems a recent update has made it bad , according to reviews.
I would just use a free proxy.
Astec123

It's closed source meaning people cant see what's going on in the … It's closed source meaning people cant see what's going on in the background to know if they are doing anything unsafe with the extension when active such as sniffing in what you are using it for. However, there are millions of users of the app at this stage and I've not seen any indication that they are taking credit card data etc, Certainly given the nature of the service, I would not be surprised if they were logging browsing history of users, where they go and what they do but I feel this would be more for the improvement of the extension.I have the extension installed but I don't use it for anything other than getting around region locks for streaming services and the very rare purchase of some bundle games that are region locked. http://www.businessinsider.com/can-an-israeli-tech-startup-outsmart-irans-internet-censors-2014-1

I'd pretty much agree with this. Also my behaviour is exactly the same - using it for US Netflix etc. Why would you feel the need to use it all the time? Is there anything in particular you would want to use it for that would involve financial transactions?
Edited by: "ipswich78" 2nd Oct 2014
beavisrules

If you are using Chrome , then google are monitoring your every move … If you are using Chrome , then google are monitoring your every move anyway.Seems a recent update has made it bad , according to reviews.I would just use a free proxy.

That's only if you're logged in, and so what if they are? The reason they do so is for advertising purposes and statistical data which they can then use to improve their products and services. Easy solution is to not use any of their services.
ipswich78

That's only if you're logged in, and so what if they are? The reason they … That's only if you're logged in, and so what if they are? The reason they do so is for advertising purposes and statistical data which they can then use to improve their products and services. Easy solution is to not use any of their services.

They track you logged in or not.
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

It doesn't bother me if they use it for targeting adverts, or statistics.
But people are suggesting using it to buy downloads from EA Origin via their Mexico / India websites, and if your web traffic is going through someone's chrome browser in India I was wondering if people are able to capture credit cards / logins through Hola?

Edited by: "mrunderhill2" 3rd Oct 2014
mrunderhill2

Thanks for the replies.It doesn't bother me if they use it for targeting … Thanks for the replies.It doesn't bother me if they use it for targeting adverts, or statistics.But people are suggesting using it to buy downloads from EA Origin via their Mexico / India websites, and if your web traffic is going through someone's chrome browser in India I was wondering if people are able to capture credit cards / logins through Hola?

Hola does seem legitimate. As long as you use a Credit Card you'll be protected anyway, just get on with it and stop worrying :-) Go stock up on those cheap games!
Original Poster
Thanks
I've ordered some of this to make a hat:-
[img]images3.mysupermarket.co.uk/Pro…v=6?1412328208336%20=1412328208336[/img]
Edited by: "mrunderhill2" 3rd Oct 2014
Hi!

I have just installed Hola in Google Chrome to watch Netflix from different countries. For all my other internet use, I use Safari. I was wondering if installing Hola in Chrome means that they can monitor only what I do in Chrome or can they track my Safari browser as well?

Thanks!
mertensnele

Hi!I have just installed Hola in Google Chrome to watch Netflix from … Hi!I have just installed Hola in Google Chrome to watch Netflix from different countries. For all my other internet use, I use Safari. I was wondering if installing Hola in Chrome means that they can monitor only what I do in Chrome or can they track my Safari browser as well?Thanks!

just chrome
I just downloaded Hola Better Internet, and I have now read a couple of reviews. It seems as this add is not dangerous, but that it does live you with pop-ups. I'm wondering if these pop-ups only will appear in Chrome where I use it, or if they will appear in Safari as well?

I use this computer for school, so therefore I am a bit nervous for what Hola Better Internet will do to my computer.
anonymouss

I just downloaded Hola Better Internet, and I have now read a couple of … I just downloaded Hola Better Internet, and I have now read a couple of reviews. It seems as this add is not dangerous, but that it does live you with pop-ups. I'm wondering if these pop-ups only will appear in Chrome where I use it, or if they will appear in Safari as well? I use this computer for school, so therefore I am a bit nervous for what Hola Better Internet will do to my computer.

https://adblockplus.org/
Ads wise use adblock to stop even Hola ones.

No one really knows if Hola does anything bad. At the moment nothing has been posted to suggest this is the case and it appears they make their money from ad revenue and that's about all you give up to them.
Edited by: "Astec123" 9th Mar 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants