Is HUKD full of shill accounts?

Found 4th JanEdited by:"Garnett"
There seems to be no rhyme or reason about whether a deal gets voted hot or cold, and I'm wondering if it's down to shill accounts or something else at play.

It makes me fairly apprehensive about using HUKD and the reliabity and trust I have for the site is definitely dropping.

Are there shill accounts set to vote down deals from certain companies?

I've seen it a lot for other posters, but I've just posted a deal and immediately it went cold.

The funny thing is there is another deal for a similar product and that's gone very hot.

The deal I posted is for a larger quantity of a better product at a much cheaper price.

So does HUKD have tie-ins with certain companies and make their deals hotter to push sales and get affiliate kick-backs? Or has the site lost control to a load of shill accounts? Or is it something else?

Whatever it is, it massively undermines trust in HUKD.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
yeh it's probably all those shill accounts, it wasn't just voted cold for all the reasons multiple people told you on the deal
30 Comments
yeh it's probably all those shill accounts, it wasn't just voted cold for all the reasons multiple people told you on the deal
Your previous deals scored loads of heat didn't they...was that because of the shill accounts too?
heat should only be an indicator of a bargain, but as already said above, it should not be how you decide yourself if something is worth buying.

you should find out yourself (or know yourself) how much something retails for and how much it is worth to you, before you call it a bargain and buy it.
You just have to learn how to use this site.
It does reveal genuine bargains, but you have to wade through lots of dross to find them.
I'd be generous if I said that one in a hundred "hot" items were genuine hot deals.
Yes, but they are totally obvious 99% of the time. Most are very amateur attempts, to the point of pathetic.
Most deal get voted hot or cold with a quick glance at the title and price. So if we look at a few of your deals which went cold:

A hammer for £20. If you have a quite look at that to me £20 is a fair amount of money to spend on a hammer, but it may be that the hammer is extra special, but most people aren't going to know that.

£42 for some whey protein. Straight away that sound like a rather large amount of money.

£1063 over the contract for a Samsung S8. Again that's a huge amount of money to see and will instantly get voted cold.
It's a commercial site, here to make a profit for the owners and they will do everything that they can to squeeze as much revenue from each deal as possible.
Please say your first names Alf...😜
The hot/cold has never been a factor for me when looking at deals. If i need it i buy it
highly dependent on who posts more than anything
No its not shill voting (I don't think ) , Its sheep voting . If a few people vote something hot or cold , the sheep (who just have to click whether they have a clue about the "deal" or not ) will follow the crowd . This makes them feel warm and included in their otherwise sad lives .

I have often proposed that any vote should include a comment (otherwise it would be null ) but HUKD seems to feel that sheep voting is OK and even to be encouraged .

I buy stuff (far too much ) after seeing it on here , but only after reading the comments from folks more knowledgeable than me .

"Hot " with no comments - not interested - but I can be if the comments support the heat . So the mindless voting by the sheep doesn't influence me .

Computer games are a ridiculous example of what can go hot ( "previously went hot at £19.97 - must be superhot at £19.95 " ) . Is that a deal -sorry not .

Maybe folks should look a bit further and understand how the site works . You wont understand what is a good deal if you just look at the so called "Hot Deals " . You may think a Chinese seller deal is great as they are often voted hot by the sheep , but read all the moans and Sob stories in Ask and Misc about sellers such as Banggood , Gearbest ,EGlobalcentral, Geekbuyer etc and maybe you will rethink whether they are bargains . Sadly the sheep voters don't
f3rgy1516 m ago

The hot/cold has never been a factor for me when looking at deals. If i …The hot/cold has never been a factor for me when looking at deals. If i need it i buy it

i always look at the summary of hottest deal for the day and buy something that i may not need but could make use of it, if i agree that it is a bargain.
I think maybe certain people did not understand the meaning of deals? And consider it is not a deal just on the basis of it seems expensive for what it offers. But that is only my 2 cents. And new members like me need time to know which one is a great price as well.
Original Poster
murtgurge5 h, 15 m ago

yeh it's probably all those shill accounts, it wasn't just voted cold for …yeh it's probably all those shill accounts, it wasn't just voted cold for all the reasons multiple people told you on the deal

The reason for my suspicion was that although I sure you're right and a lot of the vote were for those misguided reasons, the thread seemed to get hit a lot in a very short space of time.
Original Poster
davewave5 h, 9 m ago

Your previous deals scored loads of heat didn't they...was that because of …Your previous deals scored loads of heat didn't they...was that because of the shill accounts too?

I was just surprised by this one deal (and a few from other posters) which made me wonder whether certain types of deal were more pounced on.
Original Poster
mutley14 h, 49 m ago

heat should only be an indicator of a bargain, but as already said above, …heat should only be an indicator of a bargain, but as already said above, it should not be how you decide yourself if something is worth buying.you should find out yourself (or know yourself) how much something retails for and how much it is worth to you, before you call it a bargain and buy it.

Yeah, of course. But the point of the site (it seems to me) is to help with that.
Original Poster
MIDURIX3 h, 40 m ago

Most deal get voted hot or cold with a quick glance at the title and …Most deal get voted hot or cold with a quick glance at the title and price. So if we look at a few of your deals which went cold:A hammer for £20. If you have a quite look at that to me £20 is a fair amount of money to spend on a hammer, but it may be that the hammer is extra special, but most people aren't going to know that. £42 for some whey protein. Straight away that sound like a rather large amount of money. £1063 over the contract for a Samsung S8. Again that's a huge amount of money to see and will instantly get voted cold.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The thing with the protein which is the deal that surprised me, was that another "deal" for a smaller amount of a worse product cost £58!
Garnett2 h, 42 m ago

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The thing with the protein which is the …Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The thing with the protein which is the deal that surprised me, was that another "deal" for a smaller amount of a worse product cost £58!

Brand snobbery. If a brand is more recognisable than another. Then price is less of a factor.

Also I don’t look at heat. I always browse by commented. If people are talking, then it’s got an intrigue.
Garnett12 h, 54 m ago

Yeah, of course. But the point of the site (it seems to me) is to help …Yeah, of course. But the point of the site (it seems to me) is to help with that.

'help' is the operative word here. it is only to be used as an indicator and not what you should use to make your final purchase decision as it is not always reliable since the mass that gave the vote are not reliable.

people are sheep and there are also clicky and retaliation votes at play. i don't believe that there are any conspiracy theory at play from hukd themselves.
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 11 m ago

'help' is the operative word here. it is only to be used as an indicator …'help' is the operative word here. it is only to be used as an indicator and not what you should use to make your final purchase decision as it is not always reliable since the mass that gave the vote are not reliable. people are sheep and there are also clicky and retaliation votes at play. i don't believe that there are any conspiracy theory at play from hukd themselves.

I'm inclined to agree. Hanlon's Razor and all.

I definitely think the site could be massively improved though - if it could look at the way each member voted and then show them deals which members with similar voting others also thought were good.
Garnett48 m ago

I'm inclined to agree. Hanlon's Razor and all.I definitely think the site …I'm inclined to agree. Hanlon's Razor and all.I definitely think the site could be massively improved though - if it could look at the way each member voted and then show them deals which members with similar voting others also thought were good.

problem is, not everyone takes this site that seriously. i certainly don't. for me it is just entertainment, although i love it as a form of entertainment.

picking up bargains along the way is also a form of entertainment for me rather than any necessity. people may find this hard to believe but there it is.

if you want people to jump through hurdles, no one will even bother to vote and that would kill the site as heat not only helps to identify bargains, it also helps to motivate people to post bargains as it is almost like a popularity vote that people crave. welcome to the world of social media
Original Poster
mutley11 h, 35 m ago

problem is, not everyone takes this site that seriously. i certainly …problem is, not everyone takes this site that seriously. i certainly don't. for me it is just entertainment, although i love it as a form of entertainment. picking up bargains along the way is also a form of entertainment for me rather than any necessity. people may find this hard to believe but there it is.if you want people to jump through hurdles, no one will even bother to vote and that would kill the site as heat not only helps to identify bargains, it also helps to motivate people to post bargains as it is almost like a popularity vote that people crave. welcome to the world of social media

You're right, but I don't think you're saying that, if, as well as entertaining you, the site also did a better job of flagging up bargains ((either to you, or, if you weren't interested, to other users) that'd ruin your entertainment.

The only hurdles to jump through would be by those coders behind the scenes at HUKD. The main site function remains the same, the heat system remains the same, but, for those who want it, they can have a better, more tailored experience, where the votes of more like-minded users hold more influence over the deals they see.

Also, you're slightly arguing against yourself, because you say people don't take it seriously (with the implication that that is why the heat system is so flawed) and then say that the heat system motivates people to post. My point was that people will be demotivated from posting genuine bargains if the heat system remains broken and tere;s a lack of consistency about what gets heat.

Not having a go - just continuing the discussion.
Garnett1 h, 42 m ago

Also, you're slightly arguing against yourself, because you say people …Also, you're slightly arguing against yourself, because you say people don't take it seriously (with the implication that that is why the heat system is so flawed) and then say that the heat system motivates people to post. My point was that people will be demotivated from posting genuine bargains if the heat system remains broken and tere;s a lack of consistency about what gets heat.Not having a go - just continuing the discussion.

when i say people don't take the site too seriously, i mean it is not a job to them so they will only vote if it is easy to do so. when they have to do more than just mindlessly clicking the plus or minus button, you will find that people will lose interest as they are not being paid to vote correctly or to think too seriously before clicking.

there are also lots of people who vote but never ever bother to even post one deal throughout their entire membership. lazy sods, who take it all and never give anything back! so the people who post deals and crave the heat on their deals are not necessarily the people who actually cast the votes.
I genuinely find it amazing that people get their knickers in a twist over some virtual buttons being clicked on the internet. I can only assume that some people are getting cold deals on HUKD being bought up on their annual performance reviews or we'll all eventually be judged at the gates of heaven by how hot your average deal was over the course of your lifetime.

Get a grip for crying out loud, if something like this bothers you so much I would suggest the internet really isn't for you
Original Poster
Cakeboy7945 m ago

I genuinely find it amazing that people get their knickers in a twist over …I genuinely find it amazing that people get their knickers in a twist over some virtual buttons being clicked on the internet. I can only assume that some people are getting cold deals on HUKD being bought up on their annual performance reviews or we'll all eventually be judged at the gates of heaven by how hot your average deal was over the course of your lifetime.Get a grip for crying out loud, if something like this bothers you so much I would suggest the internet really isn't for you

Reading comprehension seems to have gone astray. You've mistaken "the website could be much better if..." for "knickers in a twist".
I'm sure there's probably shilling here and there, but overall I don't know if it's a widespread problem.

As another poster mentioned however, there's a lot of sheep voting. If a deal doesn't go in the right direction from the get-go, it rarely recovers. Doesn't matter if the deal has been hot in the past or there's no reason for it to go cold. Although it begs the question - why do people vote at all if they're unsure on a deal... there's zero obligation to vote for the sake of it
Original Poster
LOL. Someone's just posted a very slightly different deal to one I posted - it's for the same product. Theirs is a few pence more expensive, without free delivery, and without the free water bottle mine came with. Theirs is up to 230 degrees. Mine's still around -140. Go figure.
Garnett1 h, 25 m ago

LOL. Someone's just posted a very slightly different deal to one I posted …LOL. Someone's just posted a very slightly different deal to one I posted - it's for the same product. Theirs is a few pence more expensive, without free delivery, and without the free water bottle mine came with. Theirs is up to 230 degrees. Mine's still around -140. Go figure.

sounds like people hate you so are voting negative on purpose.

but hey, don't let that bother you. just keep on posting your deals, as not everyone is stupid enough just to look at the heat indicator and you may help someone
Original Poster
HHH. Yeah, I guess that's it!
benjammin3164th Jan

highly dependent on who posts more than anything

Yes, it sometimes is because of who posted the offer.

There are some instant gratification hunters on here who are ready to wear each other as a hat. They post often, making money for people they don't know, whilst receiving nothing financially in return.

If the internet was to go down, you could make a killing selling gold star stickers to these people so they can hand them out to each other pretending they're internet votes/likes.
Edited by: "GameofDeals" 9th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants