Is it a good idea to buy a new PC with Windows 7 ?

Found 1st Sep 2017
Can you upgrade to 10 after support stops?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
If your new PC has a 7th generation or later processor, then it is no longer supported by Microsoft on Windows 7.
It's their way of trying to force new users to Windows 10.
Edited by: "parsimony" 1st Sep 2017
Original Poster
parsimony4 m ago

If your new PC has a 7th generation or later processor, then it is no …If your new PC has a 7th generation or later processor, then it is no longer supported by Microsoft on Windows 7.It's their way of trying to force new users to Windows 10.

I read where it's supported till 2020, I have seen an all in one with an i7 , just not sure why they don't stick windows 10 on these days?
I believe the only way to upgrade currently is here. I used it last week so know it still works, as to how long this window will stay open that's anyone's guess.
Original Poster
AirbusA38031 m ago

I believe the only way to upgrade currently is here. I used it last week …I believe the only way to upgrade currently is here. I used it last week so know it still works, as to how long this window will stay open that's anyone's guess.

Ok, so you think it's a good option to buy the pc then switch to 10 first thing?

It seems a good price, i7, 8gb, hd 23 inch, 240 ssd, about 1100 quid
Windows 7 does not officially support SSD. I had this problem and ended up going on 8.1. Can't stand 10 personally.
AirbusA3801 h, 2 m ago

I believe the only way to upgrade currently is here. I used it last week …I believe the only way to upgrade currently is here. I used it last week so know it still works, as to how long this window will stay open that's anyone's guess.

i didn't upgrade one of my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 when this was free. the link states 'assistive technology'. does it mean it may not work properly if your laptop is old and may not have assistive technology?
airfix37 m ago

Ok, so you think it's a good option to buy the pc then switch to 10 first …Ok, so you think it's a good option to buy the pc then switch to 10 first thing? It seems a good price, i7, 8gb, hd 23 inch, 240 ssd, about 1100 quid

subject to airbus answer to my question, sounds like you can buy the laptop then upgrade. what worries me though is that it must be a very old laptop (i guess you buying it second hand?) as windows 7 stopped being installed in new laptops for quite a while now, unless i am mistaken.

my current laptop is coming up to 3 years old and when i got it new, it was installed on windows 8.1, so if that is a guide then laptops with windows 7 must be older than this, which would be a worry as i tend to throw my laptops out after 4 years!
Original Poster
mutley17 m ago

subject to airbus answer to my question, sounds like you can buy the …subject to airbus answer to my question, sounds like you can buy the laptop then upgrade. what worries me though is that it must be a very old laptop (i guess you buying it second hand?) as windows 7 stopped being installed in new laptops for quite a while now, unless i am mistaken.my current laptop is coming up to 3 years old and when i got it new, it was installed on windows 8.1, so if that is a guide then laptops with windows 7 must be older than this, which would be a worry as i tend to throw my laptops out after 4 years!

It's a brand new all in one, latest CPU, ssd etc Lenovo
mutley126 m ago

subject to airbus answer to my question, sounds like you can buy the …subject to airbus answer to my question, sounds like you can buy the laptop then upgrade. what worries me though is that it must be a very old laptop (i guess you buying it second hand?) as windows 7 stopped being installed in new laptops for quite a while now, unless i am mistaken.my current laptop is coming up to 3 years old and when i got it new, it was installed on windows 8.1, so if that is a guide then laptops with windows 7 must be older than this, which would be a worry as i tend to throw my laptops out after 4 years!

Wow, that's an interesting use of technology, disposable after 4 years. I still use my old Acer and it's over 7 years old. All it's ever needed is a £15 new battery
mutley11 h, 14 m ago

i didn't upgrade one of my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 when this …i didn't upgrade one of my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 when this was free. the link states 'assistive technology'. does it mean it may not work properly if your laptop is old and may not have assistive technology?

Nope it works perfectly regardless of age, I can't say I've ever found any issue.
When you do the upgrade you simply tick a box to say you need use of assistive technology, it does not need to be enabled during or after the upgrade.
mutley11 h, 55 m ago

i didn't upgrade one of my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 when this …i didn't upgrade one of my laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 when this was free. the link states 'assistive technology'. does it mean it may not work properly if your laptop is old and may not have assistive technology?

Isn't 'assistive technology' things like large text and on-screen magnifiers etc for old people and people who need help ?
airfix3 h, 35 m ago

I would check the specs carefully as even i7 model numbers have suffixes that effect performance.
intel.com/con…tml
badger26095 h, 34 m ago

Wow, that's an interesting use of technology, disposable after 4 years. I …Wow, that's an interesting use of technology, disposable after 4 years. I still use my old Acer and it's over 7 years old. All it's ever needed is a £15 new battery

i am careful with spending, hence my addiction to this site :), but i find that after 4 years from new, technology has moved on quite a bit for laptops so i want to be able to use the new stuff on the market. time enough to get a new laptop

i throw mobile phones out after 2 years from new as i find that technology for mobile phones move even faster than that for laptops.
airfix5 h, 57 m ago

i would question it being a genuine new laptop as microsoft stopped manufacturers selling pc with windows 7 in october 2016 according to the following article.

express.co.uk/lif…8-1
airfix8 h, 0 m ago

I read where it's supported till 2020, I have seen an all in one with an …I read where it's supported till 2020, I have seen an all in one with an i7 , just not sure why they don't stick windows 10 on these days?

That's correct for pre 7th Gen Processors.
mutley11 h, 13 m ago

i am careful with spending, hence my addiction to this site :), but i …i am careful with spending, hence my addiction to this site :), but i find that after 4 years from new, technology has moved on quite a bit for laptops so i want to be able to use the new stuff on the market. time enough to get a new laptop i throw mobile phones out after 2 years from new as i find that technology for mobile phones move even faster than that for laptops.

Maybe I've just been lucky with my machine. But I've never been one to go for the idea of just because it's newer it must be much better. For what I use it for I don't need to spend thousands every few years, false economy for me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions