Groups

Is it bad job etiquette...

Banned
    ....to ask why someone is leaving?

I am heading out this afternoon to take a look at a shelter with a job vacancy. Without being stereotypical its a homeless shelter and the lady who's leaving is showing me around at my request.

Is it impolite to ask why she's leaving the job? I'm not being nosy, but if the reason might influence my decision I want to know about it. I would imagine if its anything serious then she wouldn't still be working there, but I feel that I want to ask.

Any advice?

6 Comments

Not at all... that's exactly why you SHOULD ask the questions. Just keep it in a conversational manner.

Ask her. You could say "I don't mean to sound rude, but is there a reason for your leaving that I need to be aware of?".

Be wary of an evasive answer from her, though, it could mean she is hiding something from you.

good luck with job vacancy

crazyhorse1;5057646

Not at all... that's exactly why you SHOULD ask the questions. … Not at all... that's exactly why you SHOULD ask the questions. [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Just keep it in a conversational manner[/COLOR][/SIZE].

:thumbsup:

good luck

Original Poster Banned

Thanks guys. I just wanted to check as I don't want to come across as rude, but I'm quite nervous about the job, I know it would be a real challenge but would look fantastic on my CV when I apply for my teaching jobs. Some really good advice here, rep to all.xx

Good Luck H K, don't be nervous :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691427
      2. One for the mathmaticians3150
      3. Bearded chat917
      4. What would be HELL to you?3459

See more discussions