Is it best to keep a Scab wound dry or moist?

Found 16th Jan 2012
Is it best to keep a Scab dry or moist?

a few days ago i accidentally burnt my skin, the next day i developed a very thin scab crust over where the skin layer had come off, its now almost 4 days and the dark scab its still present, should i let it dry or keep it moist with Vaseline?

though the scab in a very thin layer, it is still stuck to the skin so much so that i believe it will damage my skin if i try peeling it. A scar is something i defiantly don't want.

thanks

24 Comments

dry, do not touch!

Pick it off.

The skin will grow back in 10 minutes.

And we're done with dinner...

Banned

[img]t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOlwPbulg9lLEpHrIo152ci4IsjEvLVauLmiDSnHG30nNV6ADuTQ[/img]
Edited by: "progain" 16th Jan 2012

Banned

Let nature take its course, when it has healed it will remove itself.

however, trying to resist the pick is killer.

Don't pick it. I would now leave it to dry.

Once the scab has gone you will have pink dry skin.

Gently apply Rosa mosquetta oil to prevent scarring.

Lots of different makes available but here is one to give you an idea...

riorosa.co.uk/

Original Poster

thats gross

I regularly burn myself and the nurse has always told me to keep it dry. The wound is sealed by the scab and so sterile. It will drop off when good and ready.

Mod & Ed

donaldduck2

I regularly burn myself and the nurse has always told me to keep it dry. … I regularly burn myself and the nurse has always told me to keep it dry. The wound is sealed by the scab and so sterile. It will drop off when good and ready.

Is that making my cake you promised

Pick it off and eat it!

leave scab and just put ointment on it covering with a plaster, this heals the fastest

Banned

scott148

A nurse told me once that a wound heals quicker if moist.

Ofcourse she did. Fish nurses in the ocean arnt exactly spoilt for choices when it comes to moisture/dry.

leave the scab. Don't put anything on it until the scab drops off. Keeping wounds moist can be a breeding ground for infection. When the scab drops off you can then put creams etc on the area. Do not cover with a plaster if possible as the plaster will create a moist enviroment if its not breathable.

Mod & Ed

Op, just leave the scab alone, keep it dry, if it's in a place where it gets wet when you shower or bath, wrap a bit of clingfilm over it, it will fall off when ready

Original Poster

KG7KG

leave scab and just put ointment on it covering with a plaster, this … leave scab and just put ointment on it covering with a plaster, this heals the fastest

will that not steam off the scab, or is that the aim rather then letting it dry to flake off?

http://www.demonoid.me/images/smileys/shocked.gif

wishihadadonkey

Is that making my cake you promised

You were only getting a cake as a reward for finishing the shed. Now you have been sacked and poor hubby like a knight in shining armour has had to come to your rescue only after you broke his level. What is your next planned DIY project?

Mod & Ed

donaldduck2

You were only getting a cake as a reward for finishing the shed. Now you … You were only getting a cake as a reward for finishing the shed. Now you have been sacked and poor hubby like a knight in shining armour has had to come to your rescue only after you broke his level. What is your next planned DIY project?

I have decided that wood was not my " medium " am thinking cement maybe, so am planning a garage, have got a leaflet from b & q on building a garden wall, need to find out how to go around corners to make the 4 walls as it only shows a straight wall, but once thats sorted I'm good to go

SMOTHER it with vaseline and keep it moist. it'll work wonders, no scab, flexi skin, hardly a scar once healed

Original Poster

samwants2save

SMOTHER it with vaseline and keep it moist. it'll work wonders, no scab, … SMOTHER it with vaseline and keep it moist. it'll work wonders, no scab, flexi skin, hardly a scar once healed

scabs already there, smother scab? or does your answer only apply to open flesh wounds

wishihadadonkey

I have decided that wood was not my " medium " am thinking cement maybe, … I have decided that wood was not my " medium " am thinking cement maybe, so am planning a garage, have got a leaflet from b & q on building a garden wall, need to find out how to go around corners to make the 4 walls as it only shows a straight wall, but once thats sorted I'm good to go

Puts head in hands and groans. But then smiles at the thought all of the forthcoming tales and countless laughs. Think you might need some foundations before you start building the walls. Poor hubby.

Shellywelly

leave the scab. Don't put anything on it until the scab drops off. … leave the scab. Don't put anything on it until the scab drops off. Keeping wounds moist can be a breeding ground for infection. When the scab drops off you can then put creams etc on the area. Do not cover with a plaster if possible as the plaster will create a moist enviroment if its not breathable.

Shellywelly I think is a nurse so knows what she is talking about but if you want pop into your local chemist and ask them.

Edited by: "donaldduck2" 16th Jan 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions