Expired

Is it best to try and RMA my Sandisk SSD myself or do through Curry's? Is one easier/faster/more likely to result in an upgrade?

Found 7th Jul 2013
Is it best to try and RMA my Sandisk SSD myself or do through Curry's? Is one easier/faster/more likely to result in an upgrade?

The SSD I have (Ultra 120GB SSD) has really bad reviews because of its failure rates and failed within 4 months. Curry's warranty is only one month but they can do the RMA for me if I travel to town.

When googling it seems quite a lot of people who did an RMA got upgraded to a 120GB Sandisk Extreme. I don't care as much about it being a faster SSD because my motherboard is so old but more that it has better failure rates.

It sounds like hassle and even cost to RMA myself but idk if when you RMA directly with Sandisk you can talk to them about the failure rates and which replacement I get. I really don't want an exact replacement and this to happen again. I'm not actually sure it's still being sold so perhaps that can't happen anyway. If I get an exact replacement I might eBay it idk.

Can SSD's be repaired btw?
Community Updates
AskSanDiskSSD
15 Comments
RMA -> SanDisk
If Currys are going to raise an RMA with Sandisk (as a pose to a replacement), then Sandisk direct will give a quicker turnaround time.
if you bought it in store it is curry's responsibility to give you a replacement. do not be fobbed off NY this RMA crap. replacement or refund period.
alexjameshaines

if you bought it in store it is curry's responsibility to give you a … if you bought it in store it is curry's responsibility to give you a replacement. do not be fobbed off NY this RMA crap. replacement or refund period.

I didn't actually buy it in-store, I bought it from Curry's Online. Does that change things?
alexjameshaines

if you bought it in store it is curry's responsibility to give you a … if you bought it in store it is curry's responsibility to give you a replacement. do not be fobbed off NY this RMA crap. replacement or refund period.

This isn't correct unfortunately - a retailer is allowed to offer a repair, replacement of refund, their choice (outside of a reasonable "rejection period")
Found this:

Faulty goods
It’s bad enough that your product develops a fault, so we try to make our returns or repair service as painless as possible.

You always have the option of an exchange or refund if the fault occurs within 21 days of delivery. If the fault with your product occurs within its guarantee period (normally 12 months from delivery) we will offer you a prompt repair service*. In all cases we reserve the right to inspect the product and verify the fault.

For a refund or exchange, the product must be in otherwise ''as new'' condition, complete with any accessories and free gifts offered and if possible, with the original box and packaging.

If a DVD, CD, or software item is faulty under guarantee we will happily exchange it for the same title or offer a refund.

You can either return the product to a Currys store** or phone After Sales on 08445 61 12 34 to arrange for collection. After Sales is open from 9am to 8pm, Monday to Friday, and from 9am to 5pm, Saturday and Sunday. Refunds for faulty goods include the applicable delivery charge and you will not be charged for collection. Replacement goods are sent by standard delivery. If a fault occurs while you are abroad, please contact us to discuss how we can assist.

We do not cover faults caused by accident, neglect, misuse or normal wear and tear. Consumable items, such as non-rechargeable batteries and ink cartridges are covered by guarantee for 3 months after delivery.

Items sold on this website are generally intended for normal domestic and consumer use and not for resale or commercial use. If we arrange to collect goods from you it will be at our cost.

*Often repairs will be carried out by the manufacturers’ own service teams with whom we have arrangements in place to ensure your product is repaired by skilled and qualified engineers. If we refer you to such a repair centre when you call us, please be assured we are not fobbing you off. If you’re not happy with their service we urge you to let us know.

** Goods delivered direct from the Manufacturer

For all returns and after sales service, please call our Contact Centre on 08445 61 00 98 Option 2 and we will assist you. Items delivered direct from the Manufacturer cannot be returned to one of our stores.

THIS RETURNS POLICY DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS. DETAILS OF YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS ARE AVAILABLE FROM TRADING STANDARDS OR CONSUMER DIRECT.
It seems if I go with Sandisk direct I will def get an upgrade to Extreme (not that my PC can utlise the extra speed but it shold be more reliable) but have to ship to Czech Republic myself.

Have to find out from Curry's if I'll def get an Extreme if I go with them and if I have to pay postage. Also if there will be a time difference.
You dont have to pay postage, there will be a time difference (as it'll take them a few days to arrange the RMA and get it collected etc). The "upgrade" will be down to Sandisk but dont get your hopes up - they certainly wont be able to guarantee it.
Jakg

You dont have to pay postage, there will be a time difference (as it'll … You dont have to pay postage, there will be a time difference (as it'll take them a few days to arrange the RMA and get it collected etc). The "upgrade" will be down to Sandisk but dont get your hopes up - they certainly wont be able to guarantee it.

Argh, so conflicted. The main reason I want an upgrade is because the Ultra seems to be known to be unreliable but I've no idea how much it'll cost to ship to Czech Republic recorded.
Edited by: "quixoticduck" 8th Jul 2013
Are you sure Sandisk will offer an upgrade? If it's 100% automatic - then Currys will get it too. If it involved begging on the phone... do it yourself.
Jakg

Are you sure Sandisk will offer an upgrade? If it's 100% automatic - then … Are you sure Sandisk will offer an upgrade? If it's 100% automatic - then Currys will get it too. If it involved begging on the phone... do it yourself.

It seemed fairly automatic, I didn't request it. I phoned Curry's and after 15 mins on phone and a guy speaking to his manager he said f I went to Curry's in-store they'd mail it back for me for free. Then I went into Curry's and they couldn't help. The guy I spoke to on the phone hadn't passed the info onto the shop even though they have the ability to do so. What a waste of time.

I'll either get a refund from Curry's or send it back myself for £10 (recorded) and get the Extreme. The Extreme should be more reliable but honestly even though it's worth £85 and my drive cost me £55, if it fails two more times I won't have saved any money at all. I guess I need to work out if there are any 120GB SSD's which cost around £55-75 and whether their RMA policies are better.

Maybe I'll phone Curry's customer services again and complain about this goose-chase and say I was promised it could be shipped back free so just find me a way. Such a joke when it's bad enough I've had a drive fail on me so soon, both Curry's and Sandisk are responsible for that and should be trying to make it right. If only I didn't have to deal with Sandisk and Curry's phone-line and store as three separate entities. They can't work together.
At least Curry's offered a refund, it's just rubbish for me because I was careful and waited for a sale. I wouldn't be able to replace my drive with the £55 I'd get back I don't think. It would be a lot fairer if they could replace it with a drive of similar value. I still wouldn't be 'gaining' given the inconvenience of the whole thing.
quixoticduck

If only I didn't have to deal with Sandisk and Curry's phone-line and … If only I didn't have to deal with Sandisk and Curry's phone-line and store as three separate entities. They can't work together.

You don't - go to your Currys store, and leave it with them - they are responsible (and should have no problem getting it sorted out).

EDIT - Source, I used to work there and did this stuff all the time. Some stores don't like it because dealing with manufacturers are a pain but it's a legal obligation so they can't avoid it!
Edited by: "Jakg" 12th Jul 2013
Jakg

You don't - go to your Currys store, and leave it with them - they are … You don't - go to your Currys store, and leave it with them - they are responsible (and should have no problem getting it sorted out).EDIT - Source, I used to work there and did this stuff all the time. Some stores don't like it because dealing with manufacturers are a pain but it's a legal obligation so they can't avoid it!

I did. I was there for about an hour. I also phoned the bigger PC World store to see if they could help because they have techy staff in that store apparently and they told me to phone the Curry's helpline which I've obviously already done. He said they'd only have to do the same thing I was doing and it'd cost them to send it...
Jakg

You don't - go to your Currys store, and leave it with them - they are … You don't - go to your Currys store, and leave it with them - they are responsible (and should have no problem getting it sorted out).EDIT - Source, I used to work there and did this stuff all the time. Some stores don't like it because dealing with manufacturers are a pain but it's a legal obligation so they can't avoid it!

Ps. Please get re-hired at Curry's temporarily in the Brighton store.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants