Found 3rd Apr 2009
I'm getting married next year and as the venue we've got doesn't charge corkage, we're going to provide our own alcohol....

Now, my dilemma is whether to go to France etc. but a load of alcohol but I'm not sure how much wine/beer costs there atm due to exchange rate.

Or we're thinking of buying all the special deals o/s at the moment and buying bits throughout the year so we've got enough for next May (our wedding).

Has anyone been to France for alcohol? Is it a lot cheaper?

Advice?!

11 Comments

It's still cheaper, though nowhere near as much as it used to be.

PS: We did the same thing 5 years ago and did the booze for about 10 quid a head, would've been about X4 that if we'd bought it inhouse.

Original Poster

Trickyjabs;4817507

It's still cheaper, though nowhere near as much as it used to be.PS: We … It's still cheaper, though nowhere near as much as it used to be.PS: We did the same thing 5 years ago and did the booze for about 10 quid a head, would've been about X4 that if we'd bought it inhouse.

thats pretty good then! Rep added.

I go there every couple of months. There is a warehouse in Calais called Cheers. You can get some really good prices on wine and beer there .There's also a cafe and toilets in that warehouse. You can get drinkable wine from £2 per bottle.
199, rue Marcel Doret, Calais. 62100.
Open: Seven days a week from 9.00am to 9.00pm.
Eastenders warehouse is closing down to anyone who is planning going there. I went two weeks ago and they didn't have any beer

Spirits can be found for much less in the giant hypermarkets, Gin can be found for as little as 9 euros a litre. Obviously wine can be bought cheaply, but with current deals like 3 bottles for £10 means that Tescos and Asda will sell drinkable wines just as cheap. The difference will be on the premier brands of wine. In previous years we have always filled the car with wine at least once a year, but currently the savings are not significant enough to warrant it. Once the exchange rate is back above 1.20 then it may be worth re-considering.

Regards

Majestic Wine no good? Worth comparing: majestic.co.uk/

You can check the prices for Tesco in Calais tesco-france.com/fra…eft At least this way it'll give you an idea of whether it's worth the trip across.

another vote here for majestic! They will deliver free (minimum order is 12 bottles but that shouldn't a problem), they offer very very good impartial advice and there are always offers on!

If you do decide to go to france you could do a lot worse than go to the majestic in calais as well (address on there website) and depending on how much you spend they used to pay for your ferry!

They really are a very good store and the customer service is exceptional! 5% topcashback as well if you order online!

Original Poster

kaits;4817573

I go there every couple of months. There is a warehouse in Calais called … I go there every couple of months. There is a warehouse in Calais called Cheers. You can get some really good prices on wine and beer there .There's also a cafe and toilets in that warehouse. You can get drinkable wine from £2 per bottle. 199, rue Marcel Doret, Calais. 62100. Open: Seven days a week from 9.00am to 9.00pm.Eastenders warehouse is closing down to anyone who is planning going there. I went two weeks ago and they didn't have any beer

rep. Thank you...

Original Poster

graham29a;4818092

another vote here for majestic! They will deliver free (minimum order is … another vote here for majestic! They will deliver free (minimum order is 12 bottles but that shouldn't a problem), they offer very very good impartial advice and there are always offers on!If you do decide to go to france you could do a lot worse than go to the majestic in calais as well (address on there website) and depending on how much you spend they used to pay for your ferry!They really are a very good store and the customer service is exceptional! 5% topcashback as well if you order online!

rep thanks

Original Poster

LJC79;4818044

You can check the prices for Tesco in Calais … You can check the prices for Tesco in Calais http://www.tesco-france.com/frame.php?rub=&main=home&left=left At least this way it'll give you an idea of whether it's worth the trip across.

rep thanks you !

other idea look out for promos ..sign up for tesco's wine club too Maybe ask around ans someone might have a store staff discount card add this to discounts some places do for buying so many bottles or how about finding out about a cash and carry like mackros?
ps where you getting married?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Differences between RX 480s22
    2. Unidays11
    3. I5 7600k vs i5 740022
    4. Topcashback trick or treat cashback giveaway23

See more discussions