Groups

Is it easy on my windows laptop to translate a linux email/file?

as above.
    thanks in advance!

16 Comments

not sure what you mean. Emails are the same regardless of operating system. What are you trying to do exactly?

Banned

????????????? what is the file extension?

linux is an operating system like, Windows XP, Vista, etc

Emails open in all of them

Original Poster

im just wondering if i send an email to linux laptop from my windows laptop if it would be able to print the file off.

Well whats the file your adding to the email?

err, an email isn't a file. If you mean just print the contents of the email then there will be no probs at all. If you're sending/attaching a file it depends what type of file it is.

oh, and why not install xp on the linux laptop?

Banned

what file are you trying to print?

Banned

SunTzu;5102057

oh, and why not install xp on the linux laptop?

lol why not install linux on the windows laptop?

i hate linux btw

You should have no problems. Even if you're sending attachments (like .doc or .xls) then OpenOffice should open them fine on Linux. You might run into problems opening .docx files depending on how up-to-date your version of OpenOffice is.

Also, what printer are you going to use to print? I've had great experiences with all HP printers under Linux, but it was a bit annoying to get a Lexmark Z35 (came free with a Dell) working.

bykergrove;5102068

lol why not install linux on the windows laptop?i hate linux btw

lol. You don't know how much it hurt me to say that. I'm a linux/solaris engineer by profession but after buying a acer netbook the other week, wiping off the linux on it and putting the new ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix on it and spending the whole weekend trying to get it to work properly i gave in and installed tinyxp which flies along and works ace.

Glitzybabe;5102042

im just wondering if i send an email to linux laptop from my windows … im just wondering if i send an email to linux laptop from my windows laptop if it would be able to print the file off.

Email sending and receiving is standardised with respect to the communications method and the format of the payload being sent. The payload is in a format called MIME which specifies how to decode the sender address, reply to address, CC, BCC, the message itself and so on. There will be no problems with most Windows and Linux based email viewers and senders to handle the emails. Furthermore, the communications protocol is a standard too and again you should not have problems sending the email to some SMTP server and having another computer "popping" the email out of the SMTP server.

SunTzu;5102081

lol. You don't know how much it hurt me to say that. I'm a linux/solaris … lol. You don't know how much it hurt me to say that. I'm a linux/solaris engineer by profession but after buying a acer netbook the other week, wiping off the linux on it and putting the new ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix on it and spending the whole weekend trying to get it to work properly i gave in and installed tinyxp which flies along and works ace.

What couldn't you get working on ur aspire one? I'm running fedora 10 / backtrack3 / tinycore (+ osx 10.5.6 / win7 / tinyXP rev9) on mine and not had any problems at all.

Am guessing the op is sending a document to somebody as an email attachment. So I would open the document in word and save it as a Rich Text Format .rtf file and send it as that.

DVS_Dee;5102113

What couldn't you get working on ur aspire one? I'm running fedora 10 / … What couldn't you get working on ur aspire one? I'm running fedora 10 / backtrack3 / tinycore (+ osx 10.5.6 / win7 / tinyXP rev9) on mine and not had any problems at all.

there was just so much tweaking required to get it working properly. I've only got the 8gb ssd version so mucho tweaking to get disk access down such as mounting firefox cache into tmpfs etc. Also stuff like streaming from youtube just sucked due to poor linux flash support etc.

I probably would have stuck with it if it was mine but it was for my wife and it was just easier, faster and more compatible with things to put xp on. :oops:

ElliottC;5102088

Email sending and receiving is standardised with respect to the … Email sending and receiving is standardised with respect to the communications method and the format of the payload being sent. The payload is in a format called MIME which specifies how to decode the sender address, reply to address, CC, BCC, the message itself and so on. There will be no problems with most Windows and Linux based email viewers and senders to handle the emails. Furthermore, the communications protocol is a standard too and again you should not have problems sending the email to some SMTP server and having another computer "popping" the email out of the SMTP server.

Or in other words the e-mail itself will work fine on any computer with an e-mail client, but any files you add as an attachment require a compatible program on the destination computer (the operating system has nothing to do with it, except for determining which programs are availible).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions