Groups

Is it fraud to sell something knowing that you have no intention of delivering the service?

Bought special delivery for an item the other day, paid for it to be delivered on Saturday. Doesn't get delivered until Monday as the company have an arragement with Royal Mail not to deliver on a Saturday.

So, is it fraud to sell me a guraneteed delivery for Saturday when the company already has something in place which means they know that they're not going to attempt to deliver the service when they sell me the service?

25 Comments

Dont think so.

But if they cant delivery or dont deliver on that day why say they will?

Supermod

Unless they pay extra for a Saturday delivery you never get recorded or special delivery on Saturday anyway. So in theory, no, it isnt fraud.

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410709

Unless they pay extra for a Saturday delivery you never get recorded or … Unless they pay extra for a Saturday delivery you never get recorded or special delivery on Saturday anyway. So in theory, no, it isnt fraud.

"paid for it to be delivered on Saturday"

Tell them you want the full delivery payment back.

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410721

Did you pay extra as in more than you would pay for standard special delivery.
    The seller may not have had the knowledge that RM dont deliver Saturdays.

Benjimoron;2410721

its not fraud by they have just broken thier contract between you and them as you paid extra for saturday delivery and you should complain.

Original Poster

dontdothatagain;2410701

Dont think so.But if they cant delivery or dont deliver on that day why … Dont think so.But if they cant delivery or dont deliver on that day why say they will?

I guess that technically no one is in the wrong, I am just absolutely filled with anger that they can get away with selling people an over-priced service that they know is not going to be delivered as they don't deliver there on a Saturday.

They probably have some T&C stating they cannot be held responsible for delivery times.

Banned

Special Delivery

Key features

[LIST]
    [*] Guaranteed delivery before 1.00pm
    [*] Guaranteed Saturday Delivery for a small surcharge
    [*] 99%* UK coverage
    [*] Online tracking
    [*] Electronic Proof of Delivery[/LIST]I wouldn't say it is fraud, but certainly a trading offence of some kind. I'd ask for a refund under SOGA as misrepresentation.

Who was the trader?

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410732

Did you pay extra as in more than you would pay for standard special … Did you pay extra as in more than you would pay for standard special delivery. The seller may not have had the knowledge that RM dont deliver Saturdays.

I paid £2 extra on 2 items, so £4.

If the post office are going to sell a guarenteed service then they should know that there is no way that the service will be delivered. It's no excuse to say they didn't check. They have to look the address up on their system so why isn't there a little message next to it saying don't sell Saturday guarentee?

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410750

I paid £2 extra on 2 items, so £4.If the post office are going to sell a g … I paid £2 extra on 2 items, so £4.If the post office are going to sell a guarenteed service then they should know that there is no way that the service will be delivered. It's no excuse to say they didn't check. They have to look the address up on their system so why isn't there a little message next to it saying don't sell Saturday guarentee?

Did you buy an item from a reputable company? If you want to PM me the website I dont mind trawling through their T&C's for you if you are unsure.

Original Poster

csiman;2410749

Special Delivery Key features … Special Delivery Key features [LIST][*] Guaranteed delivery before 1.00pm[*] Guaranteed Saturday Delivery for a small surcharge[*] 99%* UK coverage[*] Online tracking[*] Electronic Proof of Delivery[/LIST]I wouldn't say it is fraud, but certainly a trading offence of some kind. I'd ask for a refund under SOGA as misrepresentation.Who was the trader?

Haven't seen you in a while mate,

Post office, it's not the fault of the post office in question. More the fact that if there's a system in place that says they won't deliver on a saturday then there should be a system in place to say don't sell Saturday guarentee.

Original Poster

t0mm;2410728

Tell them you want the full delivery payment back.

They said no. Even though they guarenteed Saturday and knew at the time of sale that it was never going to be done.

Phoned and complained, they hung up on me! That's why I'm angry!!

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410757

Did you buy an item from a reputable company? If you want to PM me the … Did you buy an item from a reputable company? If you want to PM me the website I dont mind trawling through their T&C's for you if you are unsure.

Post office mate, I sent the items!!

Original Poster

Slash;2410743

They probably have some T&C stating they cannot be held responsible for … They probably have some T&C stating they cannot be held responsible for delivery times.

It says on their web-site that they pay back the delivery charge. They won't in this case as the company have an arrangement with them. I appreciate that, my point is that I shouldn't have been sold a guarentee as there was something in place at the time to ensure that the guarentee was never going to happen.

Point is, they shouldn't be able to sell a guarentee if there is absolutely 0% chance of it happening.

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410770

Post office mate, I sent the items!!

Ohh I see.
    This isnt going to help right at this moment in time but you can go into the PO and collect a form from them (cant remember what its called) and fill it out if you are at a monetary loss or if you are dissatisfied.
    Good luck with it!
    ps...they DEFINITELY should have told you in the PO that this wont get delivered on Saturday if you specifically said to them it needs to (as you say you have).

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410788

Ohh I see. This isnt going to help right at this moment in time but you … Ohh I see. This isnt going to help right at this moment in time but you can go into the PO and collect a form from them (cant remember what its called) and fill it out if you are at a monetary loss or if you are dissatisfied. Good luck with it!ps...they DEFINITELY should have told you in the PO that this wont get delivered on Saturday if you specifically said to them it needs to (as you say you have).

Sent the forms in and they said no. Phoned up to complain and they said no. I can understand why.

But my point is that there should be something in place to stop them selling it if there's a 0% chance of it happening.

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410798

Sent the forms in and they said no. Phoned up to complain and they said … Sent the forms in and they said no. Phoned up to complain and they said no. I can understand why.But my point is that there should be something in place to stop them selling it if there's a 0% chance of it happening.

I am not favouring anyone and im just being impartial but there is obviously a breakdown of communication here or a misunderstanding. RM would NEVER be able to get away with telling people (and taking their money) for a Saturday service that they dont offer.

Original Poster

I'm going to leave it there guys, I was angry as they hung up on me. The line didn't just get cut, I could tell she was going to hang up.

I've calmed down now, I got screwed for a few quid of postage, people in Zimbabwe get kidnapped and told that if they don't vote the right way they'll be killed. I should think myself lucky.

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410816

I'm going to leave it there guys, I was angry as they hung up on me. The … I'm going to leave it there guys, I was angry as they hung up on me. The line didn't just get cut, I could tell she was going to hang up.I've calmed down now, I got screwed for a few quid of postage, people in Zimbabwe get kidnapped and told that if they don't vote the right way they'll be killed. I should think myself lucky.

You just wanted to get ever closer to your 5000!!

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410831

You just wanted to get ever closer to your 5000!!

My sights are higher than that, I have to beat csiman, he overtook me a month or two back.

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410840

My sights are higher than that, I have to beat csiman, he overtook me a … My sights are higher than that, I have to beat csiman, he overtook me a month or two back.

Start a thread and we will just post between ourselves. I think we could top 10,000 per week...

Original Poster

magicjay1986;2410856

Start a thread and we will just post between ourselves. I think we could … Start a thread and we will just post between ourselves. I think we could top 10,000 per week...

Isn't this already a thread pretty much just between ourselves?

You'd better be a woman!!

Supermod

Benjimoron;2410863

Isn't this already a thread pretty much just between ourselves?You'd … Isn't this already a thread pretty much just between ourselves?You'd better be a woman!!

Yeah I guess it is!
    ...sorry to dissapoint..

Original Poster

Received a cheque for £20 from the post office today, they seem to be blaming it on the lady who served me at the post office. I've phoned them to say that imo she's done the best she can with the information given. Post office and Royal Mail confirmed that the information they have regarding Saturday deliveries not being available at certain addresses is not passed to the post offices in order for them to be able to sell me the correct postage.

I'm happy with my £20, I just hope they understand that my complaint is about the system not being in place so they don't sell me a Saturday guarentee when it's never going to happen. I've told them enough times so they should understand by now!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Did you know?2951
      2. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2336
      3. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 892529
      4. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…66

See more discussions