Is it free to receive money via PayPal?

Posted 8th May
I have sold an item on Shpock and have asked them to either make payment via bank transfer or Paypal.

Will I be charged a fee if I receive money on my Paypal account?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Receiving money – Personal payments:

It’s free to receive money from friends or family within the UK when they send the money from the PayPal website using their PayPal balance, debit card or bank account (or a combination of those) where no currency conversion is involved.

Goods and services – Purchase payments:

There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services. However, if you receive money for goods or services (such as from selling an item on eBay), there is a fee for each transaction amount you receive.

So in summary, family and friends can send you money as there is no service involved. Whereas, someone buying from you would need some sort of insurance / protection if you weren’t to send the item. Therefore, you’re charged fees.
Edited by: "The_Warns" 8th May
Yes, unless it's friends and family. I think Shpock might also take a cut somewhere it it's a secured sale.. or something with similar wording.
britlad08/05/2020 21:56

Yes, unless it's friends and family. I think Shpock might also take a cut …Yes, unless it's friends and family. I think Shpock might also take a cut somewhere it it's a secured sale.. or something with similar wording.

Can the person I’m selling it to select the option ‘friends & family’ and send the money this way?
Yes, if they do it directly, but all buyer protection is thrown out of the window.
Edited by: "britlad" 8th May
alison198908/05/2020 22:18

Can the person I’m selling it to select the option ‘friends & family’ and s …Can the person I’m selling it to select the option ‘friends & family’ and send the money this way?

They can but I bet they won’t, no protection when they try and claim it back.
There is also the chance they will make the purchase, receive the goods then claim it was an in sanction transaction and you lose the cash.
If it’s an expensive item or money you aren’t prepared to lose. Stick for BT or no sale and wait for a local buyer with cash.
If it’s PayPal and a face to face delivery/collection cash or BT only, never ever PayPal.
You get charged on Spock and PayPal
Send the buyer a private message and give them your email that way for paypal
alison198908/05/2020 22:18

Can the person I’m selling it to select the option ‘friends & family’ and s …Can the person I’m selling it to select the option ‘friends & family’ and send the money this way?

They won’t send as friends and family because they lose buyer protection. If anything should go wrong, e.g you send a brick, post goes missing etc they lose both their money and any item they were expecting. Friends and family, is literally giving cash to someone you don’t know or trust. Most people opt for ‘goods and services’ when making purchases, should things go wrong, PayPal step in to help both parties. Also, just so you’re aware. People get a bit suspicious when a payment is requested via friends & family, as you’re a stranger to them.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 9th May
How much is it to transfer your PayPal balance to your bank account?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions