Is it illegal for dogs to poop in the alleyway?

Posted 10th Jan
My assumptions are is that it’s a dog, judging by the size and amount of poops. I went to take my motorbike out today via the back gate into the alleyway and I have to sit on the bike and roll back and I my rear wheel rolled into a load of poop there’s lots of it out there and all looks the same colour and similar size so I’m assuming it’s the same dog but never seen it, it’s definitely from one of the house’s because the alley has locked gates. I now have to clean it up as it’s outside my garden and I really don’t want to be doing that. What is my best option here as I don’t want to report people and get them into trouble but I also don’t want to be coming out to this mess? Maybe put a sign up like this?
3385541-UjZDW.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
It's not illegal for a dog to poop in an alleyway but the owner should definitely be picking it up. Go ahead and report it.
17 Comments
Need to report that there has been incidents, perhaps ask the council to provide signs if its a public footpath.
If it persists, maybe then complain about the person
It's not illegal for a dog to poop in an alleyway but the owner should definitely be picking it up. Go ahead and report it.
If the alley has shared access, do all neighbours have a key?

Speak to your neighbours, who's dog you think it is, if they are approachable, and politely explain that you are met with fouling every time you access the alley and that you are cleaning it up (which the dog owner, not you should be doing).

Being a dog owner I always pick up after my dog, even if we are up the hills.

I see dog fouling every day and it's disgusting. It only takes seconds to pick it up and dispose of it.

You could contact the council and ask if they would provide a poo bin? Our local council is quite good with providing bins. You could also ask that they spray signs at the alley entrance on the ground - something along the lines of 'no dog fouling, pick it up'.

We have these signs dotted along pavements. It's a detterent, but some folk simply don't care.
It's a criminal offence if owners doesn't pick it up and usually get a fine.
If you want to catch them, use a motion camera.
If you just wish to stop it then leave a sign exactly where it keeps happening saying you wish to avoid any official trouble and asking them to pick it up.
It is possible that the owner is just letting the dog out to do its things without being present at the time of the offence.
smashed10/01/2020 11:29

If you want to catch them, use a motion camera.If you just wish to stop it …If you want to catch them, use a motion camera.If you just wish to stop it then leave a sign exactly where it keeps happening saying you wish to avoid any official trouble and asking them to pick it up.It is possible that the owner is just letting the dog out to do its things without being present at the time of the offence.

This is probably the case that the owner just lets the dog out the back to do its own thing but who do they think is going to pick up after it, the magic poo fairy?
Yes if gated.
Haircut_10010/01/2020 11:31

This is probably the case that the owner just lets the dog out the back to …This is probably the case that the owner just lets the dog out the back to do its own thing but who do they think is going to pick up after it, the magic poo fairy?

The equivalent of THIS: youtube.com/wat…BNU
First ensure it is not illeagal to ride a motorbike in an alleyway, where some law enforcement jobsworth will regard "I have to sit on the bike" as riding / being in control / some other nitpicking interpretation.
psychedelicrenegade10/01/2020 11:00

If the alley has shared access, do all neighbours have a key?Speak to your …If the alley has shared access, do all neighbours have a key?Speak to your neighbours, who's dog you think it is, if they are approachable, and politely explain that you are met with fouling every time you access the alley and that you are cleaning it up (which the dog owner, not you should be doing).Being a dog owner I always pick up after my dog, even if we are up the hills.I see dog fouling every day and it's disgusting. It only takes seconds to pick it up and dispose of it.You could contact the council and ask if they would provide a poo bin? Our local council is quite good with providing bins. You could also ask that they spray signs at the alley entrance on the ground - something along the lines of 'no dog fouling, pick it up'.We have these signs dotted along pavements. It's a detterent, but some folk simply don't care.

Yes all neighbours have an alley key, or should do anyway. I’ll try and find who the dog owner is first then ask them to clean it up.
smashed10/01/2020 11:29

If you want to catch them, use a motion camera.If you just wish to stop it …If you want to catch them, use a motion camera.If you just wish to stop it then leave a sign exactly where it keeps happening saying you wish to avoid any official trouble and asking them to pick it up.It is possible that the owner is just letting the dog out to do its things without being present at the time of the offence.

I’ve got a Yi camera I could possibly leave on the upstairs window until it detects someone and go from there.
jayonline8510/01/2020 15:11

I’ve got a Yi camera I could possibly leave on the upstairs window until i …I’ve got a Yi camera I could possibly leave on the upstairs window until it detects someone and go from there.

Deliberately aiming a personal static camera at a public / restricted area may cause the cam owner to fall foul of privacy legislation.
I'll get my coat.
AndyRoyd10/01/2020 14:54

First ensure it is not illeagal to ride a motorbike in an alleyway, where …First ensure it is not illeagal to ride a motorbike in an alleyway, where some law enforcement jobsworth will regard "I have to sit on the bike" as riding / being in control / some other nitpicking interpretation.

Plot Twist.

AndyRoyd has spotted a neighbour illegally rolling his bike into the alleyway and has had to resort to an alleyway dirty protest to force said bike from future misdemeanours.
AndyRoyd10/01/2020 15:22

Deliberately aiming a personal static camera at a public / restricted area …Deliberately aiming a personal static camera at a public / restricted area may cause the cam owner to fall foul of privacy legislation. I'll get my coat.

I won’t be deliberately pointing it at a public area. I’ll be pointing it in my back garden for the safety of my motorbike, it just so happens the alleyway is also in view of the camera
jayonline8510/01/2020 21:23

I won’t be deliberately pointing it at a public area. I’ll be pointing it i …I won’t be deliberately pointing it at a public area. I’ll be pointing it in my back garden for the safety of my motorbike, it just so happens the alleyway is also in view of the camera

That's not a problem. ICO states the person responsible for the camera should simply "write down why you think capturing the images is more important than invading the privacy of your neighbours and passers-by", put some signs up stating CCTV / image capture is being used including how to contact you, and put some procedural rubbish in place to deal with any Subject Access Requests you are presented with.
ico.org.uk/you…tv/
I've never seen a dog being arrested so I'm going to say no.
ibblackberry111/01/2020 12:04

I've never seen a dog being arrested so I'm going to say no.

39706821-eaOjB.jpgArrested and detained for chasing a deer after it ran away from its owners
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions