is it illegal to park opposite a dropped kerb?

Found 1st Apr 2016
Hi just after a bit of advice please, I've tried to Google it but everything is really old.

My in laws live on a really quiet street but have a steep driveway with a dropped kerb. Recently every time dick and harry have started parking all over the street due to new parking restrictions in the town. They literally leave their cars there and pick up them up at the weekend, Monday morning they are back and stay there all week!

My in laws have a really steep drive and one particular car has parked right opposite the driveway (on the other side of the road) but literally can't get off the driveway.

Also this applies to their next door neighbours, he is terminally ill. He has a driveway which is even steeper but a big 4x4 has blocked his driveway, they can't even get their car off the driveway.

We all seem to miss the owners, they pick up the up very late on a Friday and they are back really early on a Monday morning....

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
63 Comments

No, its not illegal.

Banned

stuarthanley

No, its not illegal.

Yes it is. You get fined if its parked on the same side. Although its not if its parked on the opposite side
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 1st Apr 2016

Best thing to do is to park where they do while they're not there on the weekend. When they arrive on Monday they'll have no where to park and will have to find somewhere else!

YouDontWantToKnow

Yes it is. You get fined

No you don't. You can park opposite a dropped kerb as long as there are no parking restrictions in force.

YouDontWantToKnow

Yes it is. You get fined if its parked on the same side. Although its not … Yes it is. You get fined if its parked on the same side. Although its not if its parked on the opposite side

It is not illegal

Banned

stuarthanley

No you don't. You can park opposite a dropped kerb as long as there are … No you don't. You can park opposite a dropped kerb as long as there are no parking restrictions in force.

I edited my post for clarity.

Original Poster

daniel98

Best thing to do is to park where they do while they're not there on the … Best thing to do is to park where they do while they're not there on the weekend. When they arrive on Monday they'll have no where to park and will have to find somewhere else!

My father in law did this but as soon as he moved the car it was parked there again. Strange as the owner lives about five minutes away (or so we have been told). You would think it was common curiosity but obviously not ,:(

Parking across a drop kernel is but not parking opposite! Although they are not supposed to restrict or block you leaving so you should be able to get them towed!

Original Poster

danielletaylor

Parking across a drop kernel is but not parking opposite! Although they … Parking across a drop kernel is but not parking opposite! Although they are not supposed to restrict or block you leaving so you should be able to get them towed!

This is what I was thinking, if my husband pops in after work in his van. He can't get on the drive and he's a really good driver

Speak to council about having double yellow lines painted or having parking by permit only restrictions put in the area.

Original Poster

barrel24

Speak to council about having double yellow lines painted or having … Speak to council about having double yellow lines painted or having parking by permit only restrictions put in the area.

Thank you, we will have to do this. They are actually building a whole new estate in the field at the top of the road. The council has already said they will be putting double lines there. It's crazy!

The street also has roadworks going on which means part of the street is blocked off. It's really dangerous also

GemandJake

This is what I was thinking, if my husband pops in after work in his van. … This is what I was thinking, if my husband pops in after work in his van. He can't get on the drive and he's a really good driver

I'm not sure if blocking you out counts, it's blocking you in that's not allowed! Your council should be able to help, have a look on their website!

Original Poster

danielletaylor

I'm not sure if blocking you out counts, it's blocking you in that's not … I'm not sure if blocking you out counts, it's blocking you in that's not allowed! Your council should be able to help, have a look on their website!

If he's already there then he wouldn't be able to get his van off the driveway anyway.

Thanks I had a look on our local website but everything is about eight years old. I will ring them first thing Monday morning. Thanks

Not illegal to park there, but it is illegal to cause an obstruction, if you cannot get out of your driveway the police can deal with it, I would report it, it can't hurt to call them, and they might even tow away the cars if you're lucky. Failing that, park there at the weekend as suggested above. You could also speak to the council about restricting the parking in the street.

Original Poster

Thank you, we will give the council and police a call

You could park either side of their cars so they can't move their car. Make them come and ask you to move it, then politely suggest they park elsewhere in future

Original Poster

pugit666

You could park either side of their cars so they can't move their car. … You could park either side of their cars so they can't move their car. Make them come and ask you to move it, then politely suggest they park elsewhere in future

Thank you Since I posted my mother in law said the guy came back to get a bag out of his boot. She went over and asked him kindly not to park there as no one can use her driveway. He gave her some abuse saying he's having nothing but problems parking there. (She sort of knows him, he's a young lad with a fancy financed car that lives up around another estate) she said she has no problems him parking on the street, just not right in front of the drive. He laughed and walked off.

Yes it is

we live in an area which wasn't built for the number of car everyone has now, ours and next doors drives are next to each other and if anyone parks at the end of either drive you cant get off. A few years ago one of the other neighbours daughters parked directly behind out car and went out for the day!! we couldn't get off as drive next to ours had their car on and they had gone out as well. Now fast forward 7 years and the daughter has moved in to the house behind ours and you guessed it parked right behind our drive. had to have a quiet word and for the next few weeks had to go and ask her or her guests to move their car. a year later and she still kicks off about us asking her not to park there, she just doesn't get it and thinks its ok to park there. Some people are just inconsiderate unfortunately. Ah rant over
Edited by: "eslick" 1st Apr 2016

Perhaps they come back to find flat tyres?

Original Poster

eslick

we live in an area which wasn't built for the number of car everyone has … we live in an area which wasn't built for the number of car everyone has now, ours and next doors drives are next to each other and if anyone parks at the end of either drive you cant get off. A few years ago one of the other neighbours daughters parked directly behind out car and went out for the day!! we couldn't get off as drive next to ours had their car on and they had gone out as well. Now fast forward 7 years and the daughter has moved in to the house behind ours and you guessed it parked right behind our drive. had to have a quiet word and for the next few weeks had to go and ask her or her guests to move their car. a year later and she still kicks off about us asking her not to park there, she just doesn't get it and thinks its ok to park there. Ah rant over

I feel your pain and I don't even live there. (Or with my in laws but I am there quite often). It is really annoying. They live in a beautiful Street in the best part of the town where they have to pay for a higher council banding etc etc.

I just feel sorry for their neighbours, he is terminally ill and can't use their driveway full stop because oF this problem. It's ignorant and becoming dangerous also.

Original Poster

mclovin9091

Perhaps they come back to find flat tyres?

Oh gosh no. We wouldn't do that, a friend suggested using catnip on the car but again it's not going to happen. The car must be worth £15k easy so I find it hard to understand why they wouldn't park outside their own house.

Or even on their own street!

If you phone the police the 08.. number not 999 and explain a car has blocked ur neighbors dropped curb they will come straight out and slap a ticket on it!!
My neighbor kept blocking me in till i had enough and got the policd involved they came pretty fast and gave them a ticket

And why not park your own car opposite your dropped curb so they will have to find somewhere else to park

Original Poster

buzymum

If you phone the police the 08.. number not 999 and explain a car has … If you phone the police the 08.. number not 999 and explain a car has blocked ur neighbors dropped curb they will come straight out and slap a ticket on it!!My neighbor kept blocking me in till i had enough and got the policd involved they came pretty fast and gave them a ticketAnd why not park your own car opposite your dropped curb so they will have to find somewhere else to park

Thank you, I'm going to do this in the morning. The car parked on the neighbours hasn't moved for weeks. I have offered to park it on the street for him but i dont think i actually could. The driveways are steep but his is far worse.The car outside my in laws moves randomly, its never quite precise. Hopefully will have the chance to this weekend. We also have a traffic warden in the town so hopefully will collar him and see if there's anything he can do. He stops at the street before theirs. Might always flutter my eyelashes and offer him a coffee

danielletaylor

I'm not sure if blocking you out counts, it's blocking you in that's not … I'm not sure if blocking you out counts, it's blocking you in that's not allowed! Your council should be able to help, have a look on their website!

Spot on
Stupid UK laws - you have rights to gain access to the road from your drive but no rights to access your drive from the road.

Original Poster

I'm gonna take the Hubby's van then, get it in the drive then ring them. It is stupid really. I did read that was going to be the case but different web pages told me different things and couldn't find a local one with anything "new". If you can't get off the driveway I'm not sure how you can get on it then

GemandJake

Oh gosh no. We wouldn't do that, a friend suggested using catnip on the … Oh gosh no. We wouldn't do that, a friend suggested using catnip on the car but again it's not going to happen. The car must be worth £15k easy so I find it hard to understand why they wouldn't park outside their own house.Or even on their own street!

I don't mean sticking nails through the tyres, just letting the air out. Surely after a while they would get sick of it.

Put some cones there.!

Original Poster

I wouldn't even want to touch the car or tyres. You can come and do it for me though

mclovin9091

I don't mean sticking nails through the tyres, just letting the air out. … I don't mean sticking nails through the tyres, just letting the air out. Surely after a while they would get sick of it.

Original Poster

shauneco

Put some cones there.!

Haha I did ask my Hubby about this. He has them in the van! I'm pretty sure they would just get moved but I might suggest this especially to their neighbours. The house two doors up is having serious work to it and I'm pretty sure the sewage drains are being repaired as the path outside the house is closed and cornered off. Workmen have been there for a couple of weeks too. They could help me out otherwise

GemandJake

Haha I did ask my Hubby about this. He has them in the van! I'm pretty … Haha I did ask my Hubby about this. He has them in the van! I'm pretty sure they would just get moved but I might suggest this especially to their neighbours. The house two doors up is having serious work to it and I'm pretty sure the sewage drains are being repaired as the path outside the house is closed and cornered off. Workmen have been there for a couple of weeks too. They could help me out otherwise

Could also leave a note attached to the cones asking them politely not to park there in future as access is needed etc..

People are lazy and will probably avoid parking there anyway.

I blame all this on a selfish, inconsiderate, uncaring population. Gone, almost, are the days when most knew and cared about their close neighbours.
You'd think I would be OK living on what used to be a semi private estate where every household (2 or more bedrooms) had parking for at least 2 cars on the property and 1 bedroom properties had a garage with space for another car in front of the garage doors + additional layby parking for when family/friends visit...

You'd be wrong

Extensions/conservatories/sheds taking up room meaning cars parked on pavement or in turning areas/keep clear signs ignored or just plain can't be ar*** and some of the laybys have had more activity from squirrels that any motorised vehicle.

Well technically you can't park on the public highway at all. The highway is for the passage of vehicles. Not that anybody cares. When the parking deregulation was given to councils they had to paint parking bays so they could charge you to park in them so they didn't fall foul of the 1968 Theft Act. So technically the parking bays are no longer part of the highway.

But as already mentioned above the best thing to do is park your car out on a Sunday night.

Original Poster

shauneco

Could also leave a note attached to the cones asking them politely not to … Could also leave a note attached to the cones asking them politely not to park there in future as access is needed etc..People are lazy and will probably avoid parking there anyway.

She popped out before she went to work to politely ask him, he laughed in her face don't think a letter would do anything sadly

askthe.police.uk/con…htm

Specified enforcement powers for parking offences, of which parking on a … Specified enforcement powers for parking offences, of which parking on a dropped kerb over a driveway is one, have been transferred from the police to become a local authority responsibility throughout many counties in England and Wales. The responsibility varies from force to force and council to council.If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway then you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to. If no one knows, then you should contact your local authority parking enforcement team in the first instance who will attend to the matter as soon as they are able.If the responsibility for that particular locality remains with the police, then the local authority will inform you so that you can contact your local force. Policy may vary from force to force and council to council; some may only attend if your car is blocked in and you cannot get out.

And re my first comment #25
criminalsolicitor.net/for…799

If the householder wishes to leave their drive and enter the highway then … If the householder wishes to leave their drive and enter the highway then that constitutes unnecessary obstruction of the highway sec 103 Road vehicle con and use regs 1986.However it has always been my understanding that if, in the same circumstances, the householder wishes to leave the highway and enter their drive there is no obstruction as they are perfectly free to use the highway.

Edited by: "philphil61" 1st Apr 2016

Banned

We recently moved house which didnt have a drive so no dropped kerb, we have a car and van so first thing we did was a driveway and had the kerb dropped. People on the otherside of the road who also have a driveway think its ok to park over outs as thats what they used to do! We've spoke to them numerous times that we are in and out all day but they weren't interested and still do it! Really annoying! We can get in and out but with a struggle and have to go over grass which we had already received a notice saying people get fined if the grass gets ruined! Some people just dont care about others!! Put some big bolders in the way!

Don't try anything daft as there could be cameras in the car

Would be an awful shame if tyres started going flat on the street

Why don't you park right up the back of the car and a neighbour parks right up the front of the car so they can't get out, it might make them think!

It would be a shame if some bird seed got on the roof of his car
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants