Expired

Is it illegal to print out doctored money?

Found 6th Dec 2013
Hi all,

bit of a random question here.
Is it illegal to print out doctored money?

To put a bit of context around it.
For my Christmas party we are doing an activity where people have to paint and decorate a 8" x 4" letter and have to buy paint and decorations through a shop.
We are using fake money, but i thought it would be good to change the queens head for my bosses head.
He doesnt mind me doing but wants me to check it is legal to do so... just in case

I've googled and seen its illegal to deface real UK money, but i can't find anything about printing out doctored money and changing the queens face for someone else's...

Can anyone out there help or point me in the right direction
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Print
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Print
15 Comments
Original Poster
JamesNUFCrandall

No it's fine, I do it all the time

Thanks James, but does that make it legal?
So you're basically asking if it's legal to use fake money in a fake shop?
Technically it's defacing the queen on a note which isn't legal and it's reproducing money which I assume you are going to try and make look semi legit?

I'd personally if you are bothered, stick to making money that is obviously lay-money without her majesty's face on it.
Original Poster
weekender

So you're basically asking if it's legal to use fake money in a fake shop?

Yes, but specifically if it is legal to remove the queens head from a £10 and replace it with someone elses.
I will then print the notes from a normal printer
Oh yeah, that's legal if you are removing the face I suppose.
Assuming this is a genuine question, the actual answer is in the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 - see Part II, 14 (1):

"Offences of counterfeiting notes and coins.(1)It is an offence for a person to make a counterfeit of a currency note or of a protected coin, intending that he or another shall pass or tender it as genuine"

So if you're going to try and use the fake notes as real money in a real shop then you might have a problem. For the purposes you have outlined, I don't think there will be an issue.

This people do it but then you could just buy some of this and copy it...must be okay then...
hotukdeals.com/dea…473
Original Poster
weekender

Assuming this is a genuine question, the actual answer is in the Forgery … Assuming this is a genuine question, the actual answer is in the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 - see Part II, 14 (1):"Offences of counterfeiting notes and coins.(1)It is an offence for a person to make a counterfeit of a currency note or of a protected coin, intending that he or another shall pass or tender it as genuine"So if you're going to try and use the fake notes as real money in a real shop then you might have a problem. For the purposes you have outlined, I don't think there will be an issue.

This is a genuine question and no we wont be passing this off as legal tender, thanks for your support on this one
I'd just do it. You often see large money can containers with the image of a bank note on them... You could print the word 'specimen' on the notes too
Can you buy some money from ELC and just stick a photocopy of your bosses head instead of the Lion? More expensive but definitely legal
Quality save has packs of tissues with real money printed on them.
........just don't be surprised, if you have corgi bite marks on your ankles
It is perfectly legal if it's not intended to be passed as legal tender. There is nothing wrong with what your wanting to do. However, surely it's easier using Monopoly money with the head if your boss, just in case a nite slipped into the wrong place.
do u work at a nursery school?
Original Poster
fuhu78888

do u work at a nursery school?

No, i work in telecoms
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions