Is it illegal to sell train tickets?

Found 16th Oct 2017
I booked wrong date and have 2 single train Tickets in November Manchester to Middlesbrough?

Just wondered if possible get some money back?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
5 Comments

Banned

I have previously received refunds for unused tickets. However I have to say this was some years ago.

Speak to whoever you bought the ticket from:

Getting a refund and cancelling a ticket With the exception of Advance tickets and some special offers where refunds are not available, a ticket may be refunded before travel. In the case of a return, the return portion may be refunded while still valid. A refund fee may apply.

You can get a refund by returning your ticket to the place you purchased it. If this was a ticket office, you'll need to complete a refund application form. If this was over the telephone or the internet, you should return it by post with a covering letter

Worth remembering for the future that if you buy advance tickets on the Crosscountry trains site you can change the date / time without having to pay the usual admin fee, you just pay the difference if the new ticket is dearer or get a refund if its cheaper.
Very useful if there's a possibility your plans may change.
And to answer your question, yes it is illegal to resell train tickets, though you're unlikely to get into trouble for just selling two! The rules are there to stop ticket touts doing it on a large scale.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 17th Oct 2017

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for replying. Is there £10 admin fee? Thinking be best just leave them and bin them.

Its this Sunday Manchester to Middlesbrough. I'm coming back on Saturday. Least I'll know how works in future.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions