Groups

is it just me or are some people just stupid

feel sorry for guys family but surely common sense would have prevailed
    or is it normal for hillwalkers to go out in this weather

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Man dies after 300ft fells plunge

A walker has died after falling about 320ft (100m) in the Lake District, police have said.

The man, who was in his 60s, was one of a group out walking in icy conditions near Pavey Ark, north of Windermere, on Wednesday afternoon.

The Langdale and Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team and an RAF helicopter were called after reports the walker had suffered serious injuries.

The man later died in the West Cumberland Hospital in Whitehaven.

A spokesman for the rescue team said it appeared all the walkers were having problems in the difficult conditions on the fells, which have been hit by heavy snowfalls.

19 Comments

Not nice to call a person that suffered a tragic death "stupid".
    His family may be reading.

Original Poster

thesaint;4290975

Not nice to call a person that suffered a tragic death "stupid".His … Not nice to call a person that suffered a tragic death "stupid".His family may be reading.

saint - how would you phrase it then - as i said i do feel for his family

if schools shut -buses trains stop because of snow surely it is stupidness to go hill climbing in snow - ice - etc

so what would you call it? - lets not forget - this wasnt a young kiddy

i would have thought it was carelessness
    people do everest in the same conditions dont they?

People will always exercise the right to roam and trying to say that is right or wrong is not a topic to be entered into lightly. I do understand though prehaps caution should of been the main thought in the individuls mind and not having a nice stroll.

Original Poster

jasonrat;4291037

i would have thought it was carelessnesspeople do everest in the same … i would have thought it was carelessnesspeople do everest in the same conditions dont they?

big difference between conquering everest and hillwalking

mountain climbers go equipped to climb mountains - they dont attempt any climb if conditions are unfavourable

Accidents happen.......why should Brits let the weather hinder any pursuits ? He may have been old but was a seasoned walker/climber.

holly100;4291071

big difference between conquering everest and hillwalking mountain … big difference between conquering everest and hillwalking mountain climbers go equipped to climb mountains - they dont attempt any climb if conditions are unfavourable

i'm not talking about conquering but you can get up to basecamp without any mountaineering experience

Original Poster

choc1969;4291083

Accidents happen.......why should Brits let the weather hinder any … Accidents happen.......why should Brits let the weather hinder any pursuits ? He may have been old but was a seasoned walker/climber.

age is irrelevant choc - and yes they were experienced so why go in these conditions when they know its dangerous - hill walking is not the thrilling pursuit of say ... snowboarding - its hill walking - not saying it should hinder our activities but sometimes weather does intervene

jasonrat;4291089

i'm not talking about conquering but you can get up to basecamp without … i'm not talking about conquering but you can get up to basecamp without any mountaineering experience

thats base camp - as you say anyone can do that - they still would be advised not to attempt if there is adverse weather

holly100;4291185

age is irrelevant choc - and yes they were experienced so why go in … age is irrelevant choc - and yes they were experienced so why go in these conditions when they know its dangerous - hill walking is not the thrilling pursuit of say ... snowboarding - its hill walking - not saying it should hinder our activities but sometimes weather does intervene

but to some Hol it is just as thrilling........I don't pursue dangerous hobbies (yet) but it could have happened any time....we need to stop handling ourselves with kid gloves......just like that show on ch4 ? the other night where children are left to fend for themselves

I used to race buses on my skateboard on the road.....dangerous I know but exciting :oops:

holly100;4291021

saint - how would you phrase it then - as i said i do feel for his family … saint - how would you phrase it then - as i said i do feel for his family if schools shut -buses trains stop because of snow surely it is stupidness to go hill climbing in snow - ice - etc so what would you call it? - lets not forget - this wasnt a young kiddy

I would never call someone "Stupid" after plunging 100 metres to their death.

You ask in your OP if it is normal for hill walkers to go out in this weather. If it is, does this mean he is in fact not stupid?

Whether it's a kiddy or not is not the case in my opinion.

So a man dies doing something he enjoyed doing and not letting the weather grind him to a halt like the rest of the namby pamby country.............. and your bitter at that? dont get it

calling him stupid is completely tasteless imo, you think he set out to kill himself??? :-(

Banned

If it snows should people just stay in doors and wait for it to pass?

Thats like calling somebody who crashs on their way to work yesterday stupid for leaving the house in that weather. Quite an insensitive thing to say really.

Original Poster

choc1969;4291208

but to some Hol it is just as thrilling........I don't pursue dangerous … but to some Hol it is just as thrilling........I don't pursue dangerous hobbies (yet) but it could have happened any time....we need to stop handling ourselves with kid gloves......just like that show on ch4 ? the other night where children are left to fend for themselvesI used to race buses on my skateboard on the road.....dangerous I know but exciting :oops:

sorry choc - didnt mean it to sound that way - a friend spends all her free time up in cumbria hill walking - absolutely loves it -

i just think these people who are more than likely to be sensible - fit!! people should venture out in these conditions -

Original Poster

kungfu;4291233

So a man dies doing something he enjoyed doing and not letting the … So a man dies doing something he enjoyed doing and not letting the weather grind him to a halt like the rest of the namby pamby country.............. and your bitter at that? dont get it

no im not BITTER !! (strange word to use)

i dont think i am the only person questioning why they went hill walking in snow and ice

holly100;4291249

sorry choc - didnt mean it to sound that way - a friend spends all her … sorry choc - didnt mean it to sound that way - a friend spends all her free time up in cumbria hill walking - absolutely loves it - i just think these people who are more than likely to be sensible - fit!! people should venture out in these conditions -

I understand where you're coming from babe

my family in Canada and NYC are laughing at us though a it's on the news how Britain has closed down......whilst over there they carry on as normal in 6ft drifts lol schools are open, buses and trains working

without adventure we would be a backward society....we learn by our carelessness and inquisitive nature......

holly100;4291277

i dont think i am the only person questioning why they went hill walking … i dont think i am the only person questioning why they went hill walking in snow and ice

lol you are so far

If he wasn't a seasoned climber and went up there without the right equipment, then I could see an argument for calling him careless & thoughtless (maybe not stupid). But if he's a seasoned climber who knows what he's doing then it's unfortunate, but accidents happen with no-one to blame.

I agree, never did get the attraction to this hobby, especially in this type of weather.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…33
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1118
      4. Sad news about Barcelona26113

See more discussions