Groups

Is it just me or is the search on this site rubbish?

I dunno if Im searching wrong or not but if you put 'lcd tv' in the search bar, only 1 in the top five matches has either the word 'lcd' or 'tv' in the title. I love this site but it ain't the most user-friendly one out there! Even trying to post this was a bit of an ordeal. Not knowing which category at first, then the 'misc' link not working, then when I click submit it tells me to select a topic category, and the 'misc' option has gone! Eeee.

24 Comments

yes, i find it soo **, it seems that it has poor filters, haha
    your better of using google..

SAMLAM34;1926420

yes, i find it soo S**T, it seems that it has poor filters, hahayour … yes, i find it soo S**T, it seems that it has poor filters, hahayour better of using google..

Well i find it really easy to use if you know how.

hotukdeals.com/ite…51/

Original Poster

ryancs;1926423

Well i find it really easy to use if you know … Well i find it really easy to use if you know how.http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/130751/

Just had a quick look at your link. It says it's best to use single word searches. So I try 'TV'. Not a single match. So next I try LCD and guess what? The 3rd link down says 'Climb onto your neighbour's roof and dangle a fish on a bit of string in front of his windows'. Tried lcd agin and it's gone.

I rest my case!

Banned

you need to use + and - in your searches, so if your looking for a sony psp, you need to search +sony +psp, i think thats right - lol

deek72;1926454

Just had a quick look at your link. It says it's best to use single word … Just had a quick look at your link. It says it's best to use single word searches. So I try 'TV'. Not a single match. So next I try LCD and guess what? The 3rd link down says 'Climb onto your neighbour's roof and dangle a fish on a bit of string in front of his windows'. Tried lcd agin and it's gone.I rest my case!

Tell me what your looking for and maybe i can help. Did you read ALL of emma's guide as everything you need for easy searching is in there.

sassie;1926466

you need to use + and - in your searches, so if your looking for a sony … you need to use + and - in your searches, so if your looking for a sony psp, you need to search +sony +psp, i think thats right - lol

Spot On:)

deek72;1926454

Just had a quick look at your link. It says it's best to use single word … Just had a quick look at your link. It says it's best to use single word searches. So I try 'TV'. Not a single match. So next I try LCD and guess what? The 3rd link down says 'Climb onto your neighbour's roof and dangle a fish on a bit of string in front of his windows'. Tried lcd agin and it's gone.I rest my case!

Dunno what site you're searching on because this is what I get when I search LCD...

hotukdeals.com/sea…Now

Original Poster

garbage456;1926461

i think you have to type in using quotes ""eg"lcd"

Try it then! I have and looks at posts 4, 5, 7, 8, 10 no lcd anywhere as far as I can see.

deek72;1926454

Here's how to look for a tv
    hotukdeals.com/ite…t=9

Like i said before its all in the guide i posted:thumbsup:

Original Poster

leefal;1926478

Dunno what site you're searching on because this is what I get when I … Dunno what site you're searching on because this is what I get when I search LCD...http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?keywords=lcd&search_type=title_only&merchant_id=&merchant_search=&user_id=&user_search=&user_search_type=posts&threads_with=minimum&threads_with_number=&posts_from=6months&posts_from_option=newer&sort_results_by=Last+Posting+Date&sort_results_option=DESC&temp_min=&temp_max=&forums%5B%5D=1&advanced_search=Search+Now

I was searching onthe Virgin Media site, where else? Of course I was searching here and here is my result for LCD. Its different than yours.
    hotukdeals.com/sea…LCD

Original Poster

ryancs;1926492

Here's how to look for a … Here's how to look for a tvhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/130751/showpost.php?p=1412774&postcount=9Like i said before its all in the guide i posted:thumbsup:

+LCD +TV gives me this
    hotukdeals.com/sea…y=6

deek72;1926522

+LCD +TV gives me … +LCD +TV gives me thishttp://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=%2BLCD+%2BTV&x=31&y=6

:?lol i give up

Original Poster

ryancs;1926530

:?lol i give up

Me too. I'll just have to search page by page. It's too frustrating!:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Does it make any difference which section you are in when you search?

See the panel on the right hand side, after your search.....click on deal.

2 letter searches won't work - they would be too intensive on the site and make it crash or something fiddly like that - you cannot search for TV.

deek72;1926558

I've often wondered this too :?

deek72;1926558

Yes - whatever tabs you are on at the top, will narrow the output of your search.

emmajk42;1927905

Yes - whatever tabs you are on at the top, will narrow the output of your … Yes - whatever tabs you are on at the top, will narrow the output of your search.

Thanks for the info Emma :thumbsup:

emmajk42;1927905

Yes - whatever tabs you are on at the top, will narrow the output of your … Yes - whatever tabs you are on at the top, will narrow the output of your search.

now that explains a lot!!.....I have got better at the search function over time, just takes practice, bit difficult after googles way of doing things....the search function does work, after all look at google results sometimes::roll:

Obviously from using it so much, I know it very well. So if anyone is having problems, just let me know and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

For the OP - what I might suggest - go to advanced search, simply pop "LCD" in the keyword, and select "deals" forum only. Leave everything else at defaults.

Then, if you are looking for something more specific, use the "ctrl+F" on your keyboard perhaps to quickly skim through a few pages of hits.

Try that and see

I've always found the search to be very poor since we moved to the new format.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

leefal;1926573

See the panel on the right hand side, after your search.....click on deal.

I think this tip has nailed it. nice one. :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best Wi-Fi extender22
      2. Car park fine UKPC1010
      3. Boxes for moving house?66
      4. Competitions on HUKD712

See more discussions