Expired

Is it legal in this country to verbally threaten someone, threaten criminal damage against his property.

Found 22nd Aug 2013
So this morning 2 guys I know came round and threatened to hurt me and and my 16 year old son over an alleged incident they were told my son had done. While they were here they threatened to damage my house ie putting windows through etc. My son had been entrusted to keep an eye on a house while its owner (wifes friend) was away on holiday but they had heard a rumour that the house had become trashed and without looking for themselves came here first kicking off. It turned out to be all false and they later apologised to my son but I want to know what the law has to say on the matter. They came onto my property, threatened me, my son and my property and I had no reason not to believe that that was the case. I can handle myself if needed but these guys have quite the reputation and wouldnt mind knocking them down a peg or 2.
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Yes.
Talis

Yes.

Yes its legal or illegal?
They should not have done it, but they have apologised...move on...it is not worth it.
If I hadnt of been home I suspect they may of wounded my son. Now, these guys are in their late 40's so im questioning what to do for the best! We came very close to blows and either one of use could of swung at any time but thats not who I am unless I need to be. They have apologised to my son but not to me!
So what do you want to happen now?

Edit - of course it's illegal btw
Edited by: "Billy_Casper" 22nd Aug 2013
move on fella
Yes verbal threats to assault and threats to cause criminal damage are illegal but if they were conditional threats ie "if it wasn't for that policeman over there I'd smash your face in" they are not going to do it so it's not an offence. No one got hurt and no damage has been done at it seems these meat heads over reacted to hearsay. They've apologised to your son but not you, that's life sometimes. I bet they feel proper nobbers for coming round now. Getting the law involved at this stage is just going to cause bigger issues for your family. Take the moral high ground and rise above it. When you next seem said meat heads I'm sure they won't be together and not as brave. Maybe confronting each if them on there own and telling them how out of order they were would get it out of your system. Apart from that the only other thing is Bally up grab your trusty baseball bat and thrash em on the way back from the pub.
Go round and ask them to apologise, if they won't then smash all their windows.

Sorted it.
deleted79467
why bother with the law this sounds like its made for the modern way of sorting things out

Jeremy Kyle
perfectly legal i am afraid.

what's that saying, stick and stones will hurt me but words.....
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64

I think this covers it, section 3 and 4 i think would apply. Affray carring a maximum 3 years and/or a fine, harassment 6 months and/or fine.

Proof is going to be the problem, sounds like it would be your word against theirs?
Edited by: "athunder" 22nd Aug 2013
Hm, next time you see them, make sure to record what they are saying to you, as that way you'd have proof of the threats. And if the house does get damaged you'd have evidence it was them via the recording.
athunder

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64I think this covers it, … http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64I think this covers it, section 3 and 4 i think would apply. Affray carring a maximum 3 years and/or a fine, harassment 6 months and/or fine.Proof is going to be the problem, sounds like it would be your word against theirs?

Luckily I have a witness and my neighbour was in the garden next door. It was a heated discussion so I have no doubt that she heard everything. Considering whether to fuel the fire or just drop it!
deleted568030
To be honest, as much as I'd want to take it furthe,r the sensible route would be to let it drop. Having said that, I'd let the home owners know what had been alleged and the threats you ans your son have received. I'm guessing these meat heads would be known to them?
teambintip

Go round and ask them to apologise, if they won't then smash all their … Go round and ask them to apologise, if they won't then smash all their windows. Sorted it.

sdoherty1000

and they later apologised

apologised to his son not him
teambintip

Go round and ask them to apologise, if they won't then smash all their … Go round and ask them to apologise, if they won't then smash all their windows. Sorted it.

sdoherty1000

and they later apologised

SO YOU DIDN'T READ?
I hope those people don't read these forums.
You got an apology, I know it's not reparations but at least they apologised and left it instead of following through with their threats. I'd leave it.
They have apologized. forget it.A strong and brave person is who forgives.
I can handle myself if needed but these guys have quite the reputation and wouldnt mind knocking them down a peg or 2.

Yeah, you need the equalizer or the A-team, lets see how "billy big balls" they are when BA turns up and turns a garden gnome into a mini gun!
Yep.. just put it behind you. As much as I'd feel like I'd want to get back at them, if they are not very nice people they are not going to take getting the law involved kindly and you are your Son are probably going to feel on edge all the time that they are going to do something so it's probably best just to shrug it off.
Nothing was physically done, & they apologised. Accept the apology & move on. Otherwise things will only get worse.
what I would do is entice the person to punch me then threaten that they would get x amount of time in prison for that harm. Then leave it up to them to decide
Jumpingphil

What?Did they, or did they not apologise?Seems a few peeps on here have … What?Did they, or did they not apologise?Seems a few peeps on here have agreed that they did.

they apologized to his kid, but not to him
Running to the police is not going to solve anything!

Do that and i expect you or you son would end up hurt and unless there is any witnesses there will be pretty much nothing you or the police can do.
Jumpingphil

Oh blimey, do I have to ask again? Did they or did they not … Oh blimey, do I have to ask again? Did they or did they not apologise?Teambintip's second post was to "ask them to apologise".That is what they did.Why all the confusion?

There is no confusion, the OP said they apologized to his son, but not to him(he was the one being threatened), I would assume the OP would like an apology for that, makes sense to me.
sdoherty1000

If I hadnt of been home I suspect they may of wounded my son. Now, these … If I hadnt of been home I suspect they may of wounded my son. Now, these guys are in their late 40's so im questioning what to do for the best! We came very close to blows and either one of use could of swung at any time but thats not who I am unless I need to be. They have apologised to my son but not to me!

How can you say that they would/may have "wounded" him?

Move on mate. Yeah they **** you off and came to your door uninvited. You sound like you stood your ground. They've apologised to your Son, so my advice is let it go now.

These blokes must feel proper daft, so laugh to yourself.... Log it with the OB though for your sons sake incase of any reprisals. Also may i suggest you don't go bumping yer gums as it will antagonise these very stupid, supposed tough herberts and you'll probs get a knock again.

Billy
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants