Is it legal to copy DVD for personal use?

Hello,

I wanted to ask, I have a old sports DVD from the year 2006. The disk works fine but has scratches and there are NOT many on eBay or Amazon.

Is it legal for me to make a copy/rip for personal use?

If so, how would I copy/rip a DVD onto PC?

Bonus questions: Does the quality make a difference on the player?

E.g If I play that DVD on my PC v PS3 would there be in visible difference? Assuming both can output 1080p?

22 Comments

I don't have an answer about it being legal, but in regards to quality, if a DVD is played in a Blu-ray player, it will be upscaled to look a bit better. Don't expect normal Blu-ray quality though.

How scratched the disk? No jumps out skips when it plays?

Looks like it may be illegal from this CNET post a few years ago.
cnet.com/for…02/

The quality would depend on what format and resolution you rip it to, but in reality you could rip it easily to 1080p,

It's now legal to copy CDs, DVDs and ebooks for your own personal use.
techradar.com/new…485

why on earth would you rip a dvd to 1080p? dvd is only a quarter of the resolution

dvdshrink is the easiest way probably, but digiarty products and handbrake can be used as well

^^ A totally fruitless exercise Imo.

If you are buying blu ray discs and DVDs, most now come with a Ultraviolet copy which is redeemable online and accessable from ANY of your multimedia devices.
All you have to do is open a free account and start your collection. Easy as........

Hilarious101

^^ A totally fruitless exercise Imo. If you are buying blu ray discs and … ^^ A totally fruitless exercise Imo. If you are buying blu ray discs and DVDs, most now come with a Ultraviolet copy which is redeemable online and accessable from ANY of your multimedia devices.All you have to do is open a free account and start your collection. Easy as........

He's talking about make my copies of what he already owns, not new stuff. Just burn a copy on, nobody's going to arrest you for it. The law is to prevent you burning 20 and selling them on, your not going to hell for wanting to replace a damaged DVD you own.

Hilarious101

^^ A totally fruitless exercise Imo. If you are buying blu ray discs and … ^^ A totally fruitless exercise Imo. If you are buying blu ray discs and DVDs, most now come with a Ultraviolet copy which is redeemable online and accessable from ANY of your multimedia devices.All you have to do is open a free account and start your collection. Easy as........

You can get 2nd hand DVDs and Blu-rays for peanuts so it's totally worth it.

Perfectly legal; DVD Decryptor will let you rip it to your PC and DVD Shrink is one I've used in the past to compress for burning to a DVD5 but DVD9s aren't too dear these days

If it's scratched, then you may well be unable to copy it as it needs to be perfect. Just because it plays ok doesn't mean the data is perfect. Rhythmeister's advice for the method is good.

Deaa

He's talking about make my copies of what he already owns, not new stuff. … He's talking about make my copies of what he already owns, not new stuff. Just burn a copy on, nobody's going to arrest you for it. The law is to prevent you burning 20 and selling them on, your not going to hell for wanting to replace a damaged DVD you own.

I can't but if I could ^^this^^ would be voted Best Answer

so long as you have the original media (dvd or similar) you can make a copy (whether to file or to disk) so long as you retain the original and do not sell the copy.

chocci

If it's scratched, then you may well be unable to copy it as it needs to … If it's scratched, then you may well be unable to copy it as it needs to be perfect. Just because it plays ok doesn't mean the data is perfect. Rhythmeister's advice for the method is good.

Almost wrong, a scratch DVD can still be read but it will be very very slow (unless it's totally pooped) a DVD player will give up after a few seconds if it's can't be read. But some PC software's will keep reading for hours on the same sector. So can copy a DVD if a DVD reader can't read it

DVD for personal use !!
Box of tissues?

arjanvirdi

It's now legal to copy CDs, DVDs and ebooks for your own personal … It's now legal to copy CDs, DVDs and ebooks for your own personal use.http://www.techradar.com/news/world-of-tech/it-s-now-legal-to-rip-cds-and-dvds-for-personal-use-1267485

Two years old and extremely out of date.

bbc.co.uk/new…law

It was over turned last year and is now illegal.

But seriously, who cares? Providing it is not being sold, whose to know?

Edited by: "Gynx" 10th Sep 2016

just copy it. As long as your not selling them in the thousands it's hardly crime of the century. Just don't tell anyone! it will be our little secret.

Banned

Carry on regardless

Just dont sell copies

Yes it is, your licence will give the right to transfer it to another media to watch as a backup version. It doesn't give your the right to sell that copy however.

Don't CEX charge small a fee for removing scratches from DVDs ?

DVD Decryptor is somewhat obsolete.
A few hours left (if you see this tomorrow morning, too late) to get Wonderfox DVD Ripper bitsdujour.com/sof…ent

Alternatively, hit the WinX DVD Ripper Summer offer - winxdvd.com/giv…htm
If you want a copy, then output an ISO to burn, or a DVD folder to input to another program, otherwise best to put it to MPEG2 (if that produces a direct MPEG extraction).
There is little point attempting to pre-upconvert, that would just increase filesize.

matth9999

DVD Decryptor is somewhat obsolete.A few hours left (if you see this … DVD Decryptor is somewhat obsolete.A few hours left (if you see this tomorrow morning, too late) to get Wonderfox DVD Ripper http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/wonderfox-dvd-ripper-2/in=today-100-percentAlternatively, hit the WinX DVD Ripper Summer offer - https://www.winxdvd.com/giveaway/holiday-offer.htmIf you want a copy, then output an ISO to burn, or a DVD folder to input to another program, otherwise best to put it to MPEG2 (if that produces a direct MPEG extraction).There is little point attempting to pre-upconvert, that would just increase filesize.

Not obsolete as it so works and it's free

chocci

Not obsolete as it so works and it's free

dvdfab.cn/hd-…htm pretty easy

I got best answer AND voted down to minus three, strange times; confused.com! oO
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. American Road Trip11
    2. Iptv810
    3. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    4. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33

See more discussions