Is it legal to get Broadband for a set of flats?

Found 24th Jul 2008
I am moving in to a new build set of flats in September which is a house with 5 seperate flats in. As none of us will have the internet at first, is it legal to get a wireless router and supply all 5 flats with it (ie. we all pay 1/5 of the broadband bill) or is this not allowed? I know that we may stretch the fair usage policy, but is it allowed in principle? Thanks a lot, Stufai

14 Comments

are you going to tell people? it probably isnt legal but a good idea!

You would have to get it for one of the flats rather than the whole block. That's like getting broadband for your street

Original Poster

I know that it would have to be in one person and one flats name, but if I did trust my neighboroughs, is it legal? I can't find anything on the Virgin Media website for example that says anything about a large number of people using your internet.

Don't know about the legalities but I am in a similar position myself. My landlord routes his broadband through ethernet sockets into each flat here (13 flats). Thats through Virgin 20mb and works a treat!

It definitely isnt illegal in the sense its not a criminal offence, what it may do though is breach the terms and conditions of the broadband contract.

Nothing illegal about it as long as they have your consent to use it. Nothing to legally make them pay though

What about security buying stuff over the net, credit cards etc? If your all on the same broadband is it not possible to see other peoples transactions ?

Original Poster

Broxy;2599171

What about security buying stuff over the net, credit cards etc? If your … What about security buying stuff over the net, credit cards etc? If your all on the same broadband is it not possible to see other peoples transactions ?

I don't think so. Is it?!

Broxy;2599171

What about security buying stuff over the net, credit cards etc? If your … What about security buying stuff over the net, credit cards etc? If your all on the same broadband is it not possible to see other peoples transactions ?

That kind of thing is SSL encrypted so can't be sniffed by others on the network. If they have remote access to your PC though that can easily install a keylogger or look inside any network shares. As long as you're secure and know what you're doing (or have technophobe neighbours) you should be ok, but it *is* more of a risk.

Not illegal. It will be in the T&Cs that whoever is named on the contract will be responsible for anyone using the connection - which makes it a very bad idea to share with strangers.

It is what £15-20 a month? Then you got the issue of going over the fair usage limit. not worth the hassle IMO.

You'd only be setting up a local area network, nothing wrong with that.

sky and o2 offer broadband for like £5 a month now how cheap do you want it lol.

sarbjeet_;2600468

sky and o2 offer broadband for like £5 a month now how cheap do you want … sky and o2 offer broadband for like £5 a month now how cheap do you want it lol.

Plus you have to enter into a never ending contract? Cant we just have broadband as in Broadband without any strings attached?

saayinla;2600478

Plus you have to enter into a never ending contract? Cant we just have … Plus you have to enter into a never ending contract? Cant we just have broadband as in Broadband without any strings attached?

Yep... attach a copper cable instead. :-D

wont work with fibre optics though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. meaning of op710
    2. Sainsbury's tu11
    3. NVR upgrade Issue.22
    4. Mobile phone advice1014

See more discussions