Is it legal to install a door bell / wifi camera in the door peep hole ?

Found 5th Jul
Hello all,

I was wondering if it is legal to install a door bell/peep hole camera on my flat door in a block of flats ? ...its a camera which will take pictures upon motion detection and alarm us either on a mobile phone or a little display unit ???..though it wont record sound !....if its legal, will there have to be a sign saying "camera" or anything like that ?....please advise... ....many thanks...
Community Updates
AskPhoto & Video
16 Comments
That's what a "Ring" doorbell is isn't it ? I doubt they are illegal or they wouldn't sell thousands .
At worst you can be asked to provide images under data protection, but given you can’t expect privacy in a public area like a corridor in a block of flats, I think your good to proceed.
Do you mean installing a camera in the spy hole of your door? If so, then yes, i think that is illegal as its a hidden disguised camera. Its not illegal however to install a visible camera that people can see. But i think you also have to display a sign that says warning 24 hour recording is in process. And it cant record other peoples door ways as thats an invasion of privacy, the hallway is a communal area, so thats fine
You do mean looking out Not looking in?
Comply with the rules on using CCTV and it is OK. gov.uk/gov…rty
Surely you will get notifications every time a neighbor/ visitor walks past? Seems an inconvenience to me.
Do you rent or do you own the flat? Maybe your estate agent can advise something?

My Arlo cameras came with stickers (to warn people) which I thought it's simply a good idea to let "unwanted" to know that they are recorded so I stuck it by the front door, but not spoken to all the neighbors across the road (as it isn't really recording them but we will do that soon.) Thanks CCNP that is a good link you posted.

Fairenough786, do you not want people to know that you have a camera there?
I don't see anything wrong, or illegal with using a hidden cctv camera. If you have one on display you are inviting thieves to hide their face with their hoodie and smash or even steal the camera so you won't get any useful footage. And sometimes neighbours react badly if they see a camera and think they are being spied on etc.
Dan_Monkfield16 h, 27 m ago

At worst you can be asked to provide images under data protection, but …At worst you can be asked to provide images under data protection, but given you can’t expect privacy in a public area like a corridor in a block of flats, I think your good to proceed.

But is it classed as a public area?

If it was a security controlled block of flats I'd say it wasn't a public area, it could be owned by a private landlord, therefore the corridor would be the landlords property, thus requiring there permission to install...?
andynicol1 h, 13 m ago

But is it classed as a public area?If it was a security controlled block …But is it classed as a public area?If it was a security controlled block of flats I'd say it wasn't a public area, it could be owned by a private landlord, therefore the corridor would be the landlords property, thus requiring there permission to install...?

It’s about expectation of privacy, you wouldn’t have sex in a corridor, because there is no realistic expectation of not being observed, a public toilet may be a public area but you have a reasonable expectation of privacy when you drop your load, so it would be illegal to put one in a cubicle. Likewise, within a private dwelling, if you put a camera in a guest bedroom and invite people to stay in there, you’d be in trouble.
If you own the flat (and it's door) you can install whatever you want to the inside of it. If you don't own the flat / door then consult the terms of your rental agreement about alterations. Then consult building management about any policy on capturing images in communal areas. May be a requirement to register with ICO etc.
Alternative viewpoint is why bother with all that faff? There is always the option to wing it and do whatever you want.
666FU12 h, 22 m ago

Surely you will get notifications every time a neighbor/ visitor walks …Surely you will get notifications every time a neighbor/ visitor walks past? Seems an inconvenience to me.

that's true.
LoveABargainAlways6th Jul

Do you mean installing a camera in the spy hole of your door? If so, then …Do you mean installing a camera in the spy hole of your door? If so, then yes, i think that is illegal as its a hidden disguised camera. Its not illegal however to install a visible camera that people can see. But i think you also have to display a sign that says warning 24 hour recording is in process. And it cant record other peoples door ways as thats an invasion of privacy, the hallway is a communal area, so thats fine

No No.. I am not installing a camera in the peep hole. Its a professional looking little camera sits outside the door and has a bell button on it. I mean even a daft person would be able to see that its a camera.
mrty16 h, 29 m ago

You do mean looking out Not looking in?

I mean...looking outside in the communal hallway from inside my flat like we do in peepholes on a door.
panda09810 h, 14 m ago

Do you rent or do you own the flat? Maybe your estate agent can advise …Do you rent or do you own the flat? Maybe your estate agent can advise something?My Arlo cameras came with stickers (to warn people) which I thought it's simply a good idea to let "unwanted" to know that they are recorded so I stuck it by the front door, but not spoken to all the neighbors across the road (as it isn't really recording them but we will do that soon.) Thanks CCNP that is a good link you posted.Fairenough786, do you not want people to know that you have a camera there?

heya...No..i don't mind people knowing they are being snapped / snapshot. this camera I am on about will just detect motion and take a snapshot and send it to me..or if the bell button is pushed then it will show me who is at the door.

however, the 2 doors to the opposite flats will be visible on this camera which they would be in any peephole really.
...The flat is not owned by me..i don't own it... it used to be housing association which, since 2 years been leased to the council. what I am thinking of is, if I was to stand at the door looking in the peephole all day, I would see the movements, tenants or the postman going in and out anyway from my peephole. instead a camera is doing the job for me. this is my understanding, that's why I thought its best to take advise from you all. many thanks...
Edited by: "fairenough786" 7th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants