Expired

Is it legal to order number plates off eBay?

Found 27th Aug 2013
I need to order new number plates for my car, and looking at Halfords, the prices seem a bit extortionate.

I was looking at eBay, and found a seller who does a pair of plates for £11.99 - with choice of flag, font and border. It all seems to comply with regulations - but I was hoping for words of wisdom from the HUKD crop.

Is it OK to get registration plates off eBay? If not, where should I look?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Yes, Ebay is fine for plates.
As long as they are from a DVLA Registered Dealer and they comply fully with current UK legislation, then they should be OK.

If they are being sold as " show plates " then they are not suitable for road use.
Original Poster
Thanks. Are "acrylic" plates good enough, or should I be looking at different materials?
link to seller?
qwertymz

Thanks. Are "acrylic" plates good enough, or should I be looking at … Thanks. Are "acrylic" plates good enough, or should I be looking at different materials?

" Acrylic " is the normal material for number plates.
Original Poster
Seller I'm looking at is called regdeco.

Just found out there's no screw holtes in the plates though - I wonder if the adhesive they provide is strong enough. Last thing I want is for my plates to fall off on the M90. Hmm.
qwertymz

Seller I'm looking at is called regdeco.Just found out there's no screw … Seller I'm looking at is called regdeco.Just found out there's no screw holtes in the plates though - I wonder if the adhesive they provide is strong enough. Last thing I want is for my plates to fall off on the M90. Hmm.

You can drill holes and fix with screws.
Original Poster
Inactive

You can drill holes and fix with screws.

Ah yes - common sense.

Thanks!
Banned
They may offer a choice of font however there is only one legal font in the UK
qwertymz

Seller I'm looking at is called regdeco.Just found out there's no screw … Seller I'm looking at is called regdeco.Just found out there's no screw holtes in the plates though - I wonder if the adhesive they provide is strong enough. Last thing I want is for my plates to fall off on the M90. Hmm.

Number plates don't normally come drilled

Click through on the regulations:
gov.uk/dis…iew

Plod are now pretty hot on plates that don't meet the regulations. That from experience oO
I got 2 new plates for one of my cars last year and had to take a form of ID and reg documents to the accessory shop when ordering .
I thougth this was law to stop 'ringing'.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants